obrakeo

Options for B1/B2 extension. Mom of US citizen.

33 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

We've ran into an issue due to ignorance of visitors visas.   My MIL came to visit in order to see her grand-daughter born. She had been in the US for 5 months at the front of the year, and we brought her back early for a due date of Dec with the idea of having here just in case anything happens to cause an early delivery.

Wasn't aware of the limit of time within a calendar year and assumed as long as she spent time back at home it wouldn't be an issue.... And we were obviously wrong.  CBP hassled her at the airport and has limited her stay to 2 months.  We're considering a few things.

1. Head home now and come back closer to the due date
  2. Extend her stay via USCIS, not clear the process for this, but we understand that this should be an option?
  3. See if we can convince her mom to go the green card route and do AOS.

Any advice?

Edited by obrakeo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

EDIT after re-reading the original post:

1. Not a good option, imo.  She is on their radar.

2. I would advise against #2 completely.  If the extension is denied or the answer is received late(which happens frequently), she will likely overstay, resulting in an immediate voiding of her B2.  If she overstays for 6 months, she will face a ban.

3.  Doesn't sound like she came prepared to live in the US.

I would go home, without overstaying, and come back next year.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
Posted (edited)

We only planned for 5-6 months initially and her flights reflect that, so we wouldn't be in danger of overstay, or do you mean over 6 months within a calendar year?

For the third option, we're relatively confident we could manage her here comfortably during the AOS process and would only face the convincing part.  Would that AOS be difficult to get through USCIS?

Edited by obrakeo

26 minutes ago, obrakeo said:

We've ran into an issue due to ignorance of visitors visas.   My MIL came to visit in order to see her grand-daughter born. She had been in the US for 5 months at the front of the year, and we brought her back early for a due date of Dec with the idea of having here just in case anything happens to cause an early delivery.

Wasn't aware of the limit of time within a calendar year and assumed as long as she spent time back at home it wouldn't be an issue.... And we were obviously wrong.  CBP hassled her at the airport and has limited her stay to 2 months.  We're considering a few things.

1. Head home now and come back closer to the due date
  2. Extend her stay via USCIS, not clear the process for this, but we understand that this should be an option?
  3. See if we can convince her mom to go the green card route and do AOS.

Any advice?

You won’t get an extension- USCIS doesn’t admit people at the border, CBP does.   No one is “owed” a 6 month visit.

This is bordering on abuse of B-2 and you risk losing the privilege.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, obrakeo said:

or do you mean over 6 months within a calendar year?

By "Overstay", I'm talking about staying beyond what CBP authorized.... 2 months

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, obrakeo said:

Would that AOS be difficult to get through USCIS?

She would not be able to leave the US or work for, possibly, up to 6 months or so....if you paid for her work permit and advance parole document.  Otherwise, she would not be able to leave the US until she received a Green card....maybe a year.

I assume your spouse is a US citizen.

Edited by Crazy Cat

Timeline

Unless she is ready to actually live in the US full time, I would go home , then return in a year.

Edited by Crazy Cat

5 minutes ago, obrakeo said:

She's retired and wouldn't need to work.  I think we can convince her GC is the way to go. I'm mostly looking for issues we might face moving forward with that process.

One big consideration would be the potential extreme high cost for health insurance for her. I linked a thread for informational purposes:

Timeline
4 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

One big consideration would be the potential extreme high cost for health insurance for her. I linked a thread for informational purposes:

Thanks for the info.  We've purchased travelers insurance for her on her previous stays so we're aware of those expenses. I think with her only grand kids here, she'll likely be ok with spending more time here than back in her home country, but it sounds like we'll face the reverse problem if we do move forward. i.e. can't spend too much time in Vietnam.

Timeline
18 minutes ago, obrakeo said:

She's retired and wouldn't need to work.  I think we can convince her GC is the way to go. I'm mostly looking for issues we might face moving forward with that process.

The biggest issues, imo, will be as I explained.....she can't leave the US for an extended time.....and she will be expected to live in the US.  The process, itself is fairly straight-forward....but costly.  As @powerpuff explained, health insurance is always something to consider as MIL won't be eligible for Medicare for 5 years after becoming a legal resident (if 65 years old or older).

Edited by Crazy Cat

1 minute ago, obrakeo said:

Thanks for the info.  We've purchased travelers insurance for her on her previous stays so we're aware of those expenses. I think with her only grand kids here, she'll likely be ok with spending more time here than back in her home country, but it sounds like we'll face the reverse problem if we do move forward. i.e. can't spend too much time in Vietnam.

Just an FYI that traveler’s insurance do not cover permanent residents. They cover medical expenses for a traveler (i.e. visitor) which she would no longer be.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
3 minutes ago, obrakeo said:

Travel insurance will not cover someone who is adjusting status. You’re looking at ACA insurance and monthly rates and deductible can be very high

44 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

Travel insurance will not cover someone who is adjusting status. You’re looking at ACA insurance and monthly rates and deductible can be very high

ACA is based upon income in the past and projected income for the year, and since she is retired she should have very low cost insurance on ACA.  

They offer some great plans via ACA.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
8 minutes ago, DELTAFOXTROT said:

ACA is based upon income in the past and projected income for the year, and since she is retired she should have very low cost insurance on ACA.  

They offer some great plans via ACA.

Unless MIL lives by herself it would typically be the household income that determines premiums and/or eligibility for state programs, especially if she's listed as a tax dependent.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.