flipicaneze

No more I-551 stamp?

8 posts in this topic

My apologies if this is in the wrong category.

My wife has entered the United States under an IR1 visa.  There is no stamp in her passport and now her employer is asking for the stamp.  How do we go about getting this stamp?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The bottom of the IR1 visa should state "UPON ENDORSEMENT SERVES AS TEMPORARY I-551 EVIDENCING PERMANENT RESIDENCE FOR 1 YEAR."

Opposite the visa page, or on another page, there should be an oval stamp with the words "Admitted XXX" where XXX is the port of entry.  The stamp should also have the initials of the inspecting CBP officer and date of entry.  This is the "endorsement".

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
15 hours ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

The bottom of the IR1 visa should state "UPON ENDORSEMENT SERVES AS TEMPORARY I-551 EVIDENCING PERMANENT RESIDENCE FOR 1 YEAR."

Opposite the visa page, or on another page, there should be an oval stamp with the words "Admitted XXX" where XXX is the port of entry.  The stamp should also have the initials of the inspecting CBP officer and date of entry.  This is the "endorsement".

Correct.  And if that stamp isn't there find the closest CBP office and get it corrected.  My wife and step daughter had the date August 39 stamped in there's.  We got that corrected.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Thank you for the replies.

We looked throughout the whole passport and the only stamp was the green Philippines exit stamp.  The only information I have from research  is from lawyer office websites stating CBP are not stamping immigrant or citizen visa passports any longer due to trying to save time.

As I checked the status of her greencard, USCIS site says it's on the way as of 29th of August.  Hopefully it will be here on Tuesday and don't have to worry about it any longer.

1 hour ago, flipicaneze said:

Thank you for the replies.

We looked throughout the whole passport and the only stamp was the green Philippines exit stamp.  The only information I have from research  is from lawyer office websites stating CBP are not stamping immigrant or citizen visa passports any longer due to trying to save time.

As I checked the status of her greencard, USCIS site says it's on the way as of 29th of August.  Hopefully it will be here on Tuesday and don't have to worry about it any longer.

Yeah, it doesn’t work like that even if your local immigration officer is lazy. If the actual green card doesn’t arrive Tuesday call your local CBP office and ask for an appointment to get it stamped. 

7 hours ago, SansTortoise said:

Yeah, it doesn’t work like that even if your local immigration officer is lazy. If the actual green card doesn’t arrive Tuesday call your local CBP office and ask for an appointment to get it stamped. 

The stamp is proof of valid entry with inspection. I'd request it regardless of whether physical card arrives or not and keep it safe. You never know if you ever need to prove valid entry...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
On 8/29/2024 at 11:08 PM, flipicaneze said:

My apologies if this is in the wrong category.

My wife has entered the United States under an IR1 visa.  There is no stamp in her passport and now her employer is asking for the stamp.  How do we go about getting this stamp?

There is a fairly new policy which now eliminates most actual passport stamps for visitors who enter the US.  However, an immigrant visa MUST be stamped (endorsed) upon entry to "activate" it as explained above.  Sadly, not all CBP agents realize this.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

2 hours ago, OldUser said:

The stamp is proof of valid entry with inspection. I'd request it regardless of whether physical card arrives or not and keep it safe. You never know if you ever need to prove valid entry...

Good point. If the physical card arrives it’s a less urgent item, but getting it stamped is a positive regardless.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.