FranknCel

CR-1 with previous K-1 filed for ex: any added steps?

14 posts in this topic

Hello!

I'm new-not-so-new here. My husband is here on an L1A visa and I will be filing a CR-1 for him in the next couple of days. I previously filed for my ex-husband a K-1 visa and all the subsequent applications and I'm worried about the timeline.

In North Carolina, you have to wait a year AFTER you've moved out to file for divorce. We had separated previous to moving out so by the time I was able to actually divorce, I was already in another relationship. Our divorce finalized in late February this year and I remarried in late March.

Just asking for opinions: Is there anything I should add to explain the situation or should I just file as is and let them request additional evidence if they feel the need to?

Also, am I right to assume that the work document is no longer waived of fees when applied concurrently with the I-485?

Thanks in advance!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Why are you going for a CR1, filing to adjust would seem simpler.

But then you mention the I 485 which has nothing to do with a CR1

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

4 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Why are you going for a CR1, filing to adjust would seem simpler.

But then you mention the I 485 which has nothing to do with a CR1

I'm rusty on this - he's here on L1A but don't I have to file for CR1 to transition him out of that? I assumed it was CR1 + I485. Please educate me if that's not the case. :)

Timeline

I 130

CR1 is a visa

Best to read the guides.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

9 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I 130

CR1 is a visa

Best to read the guides.

Sorry! I-130 is what I meant regarding the form. Isn't CR1 the visa for I-130 if married less than two years?

Timeline

CR1 is the Immigrant Visa but he is adjusting. well I assume he is.

3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

CR1 is the Immigrant Visa but he is adjusting. well I assume he is.

Yes, he is adjusting from L1A but not since it's not via his job it gets confusing for me. I haven't been able to get a clear read on what I need to do but it seems (from what I've read) I need to file I-130 in conjunction with I-485 since he's going from a non-immigrant work visa to an immigrant family visa. Is that correct?

Timeline

Basically yes but sounds like you have a very limited knowledge of the process so I would start by reading the Guides.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
2 hours ago, FranknCel said:

Yes, he is adjusting from L1A but not since it's not via his job it gets confusing for me. I haven't been able to get a clear read on what I need to do but it seems (from what I've read) I need to file I-130 in conjunction with I-485 since he's going from a non-immigrant work visa to an immigrant family visa. Is that correct?

read the guides at the top of the page

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 hours ago, FranknCel said:

Another vote for studying the guides or getting professional help.  The immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  Failure in any of those areas can spell big issues.  Good luck.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

I have read the guides but none of these specifically lay out which forms I need to file for my particular case. It talks about filing for marriage based visas and not transitioning from L1 visa.

In the work visa guide, it only talks about the exemptions on L1 visa holders regarding work visas but also doesn’t specify which forms if you’ve married and also doesn’t mention if obtaining a work permit will void it. It says “use” so Im going to go ahead and assume you can get a work permit and just not use it. 

As I mentioned, everything I’ve read has been vague. But thank you all for the help. 

Just now, FranknCel said:

I have read the guides but none of these specifically lay out which forms I need to file for my particular case. It talks about filing for marriage based visas and not transitioning from L1 visa.

In the work visa guide, it only talks about the exemptions on L1 visa holders regarding work visas but also doesn’t specify which forms if you’ve married and also doesn’t mention if obtaining a work permit will void it. It says “use” so Im going to go ahead and assume you can get a work permit and just not use it. 

As I mentioned, everything I’ve read has been vague. But thank you all for the help. 

To add to this I personally filed a K1 visa previously and all the subsequent paperwork (I-485, I-765, and even N-400). I am well versed in the process and have plenty of knowledge on it but I was hoping I could pick brains on opinion on what I “could/should” add for evidence on my situation. It actually wasn’t a question at all about which forms to file. That came after. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
50 minutes ago, FranknCel said:

It talks about filing for marriage based visas and not transitioning from L1 visa.

Step 1=Deciding between a spousal visa (outside the US) or Adjustment of Status (inside the US).

There are forums here for Adjustment of Status from Work, Student, and Tourist Visas

Consular processing 

Adjustment of Status for spouses inside the US

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Above is the applicable guide that DOES tell you which forms to file.  Visas are for entering countries.  He's already here.  He cannot get a US visa of any kind from within the USA.  He will be adjusting status from his current visa.  Follow that guide.  If you don't think you understand, or can follow those instructions, hire professional help.  Find them here.

https://www.visajourney.com/partners/

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.