SourisMigratey

Writ of Mandamus/Suing the NVC

15 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Have any of you had any experience/understand of how exactly to go about filing a Writ of Mandamus?

You may have seen my previous post about our case being skipped for the past 6 months. We were documentarily qualified on the 11th of April, and we still haven't received an interview letter!

We have asked our congressman to submit queries, and we have also requested to expedite the case - the congressman received similar unhelpful template responses, and the expedite request was ignored.

We now have no choice but to consider suing the NVC.

How do we submit the initial writ? Do we sue the NVC and the embassy? How is it done from outside of the US, etc.? And what state would we file in? We are at the begining of researching the process, but any tips or advice would be much appreciated!

Thank you! :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

There is a guide

Now I am a strong DIY advocate but even I would have second thoughts on doing this and I know the basics.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

21 hours ago, SourisMigratey said:

Hi all,

Have any of you had any experience/understand of how exactly to go about filing a Writ of Mandamus?

You may have seen my previous post about our case being skipped for the past 6 months. We were documentarily qualified on the 11th of April, and we still haven't received an interview letter!

We have asked our congressman to submit queries, and we have also requested to expedite the case - the congressman received similar unhelpful template responses, and the expedite request was ignored.

We now have no choice but to consider suing the NVC.

How do we submit the initial writ? Do we sue the NVC and the embassy? How is it done from outside of the US, etc.? And what state would we file in? We are at the begining of researching the process, but any tips or advice would be much appreciated!

Thank you! :)

Hi there, Did you get an IL yesterday in the round of emails? Can I also ask, have you been receiving the 60 day emails from NVC? Is this for London?

15 hours ago, Boiler said:

There is a guide

Now I am a strong DIY advocate but even I would have second thoughts on doing this and I know the basics.

Thanks, I'll review the guide.

Yeah, I agree, but unfortunately we don't really have the funds to get an attorney. We're also in a difficult situation in terms of jobs/accomodation - so we're considering suing as last attempt/to draw some attention to our case.

33 minutes ago, PACMAN82 said:

Hi there, Did you get an IL yesterday in the round of emails? Can I also ask, have you been receiving the 60 day emails from NVC? Is this for London?

Hi, We didn't get an IL, no. That's what has prompted me to write this post and is why we're considering the writ.

What are the 60 day emails from the NVC? We haven't been receiving any other than the same template responses to the public inquiries we're making.

Our embassy is London, yes.

Thanks!

18 hours ago, SourisMigratey said:

Hi, We didn't get an IL, no. That's what has prompted me to write this post and is why we're considering the writ.

What are the 60 day emails from the NVC? We haven't been receiving any other than the same template responses to the public inquiries we're making.

Our embassy is London, yes.

Thanks!

After you get DQ'd you should receive a letter that states you are in the queue and that the next communication from NVC will be an Interview appointment or a letter after 60 days to say you are still awaiting an appointment. This was not happening with my case after I switched to London from another embassy. I sent multiple requests to NVC over the last few weeks and finally got a reply that wasn't a generic copy and paste email. This then triggered the 60 day email. I'm hoping this means I will finally get the interview letter this month. 

52 minutes ago, PACMAN82 said:

After you get DQ'd you should receive a letter that states you are in the queue and that the next communication from NVC will be an Interview appointment or a letter after 60 days to say you are still awaiting an appointment. This was not happening with my case after I switched to London from another embassy. I sent multiple requests to NVC over the last few weeks and finally got a reply that wasn't a generic copy and paste email. This then triggered the 60 day email. I'm hoping this means I will finally get the interview letter this month. 

Thank you! I've just submitted another request, highlighting that we're not getting the 60-day emails. Hopefully this will back up what I've been trying to tell them for months.

The generic emails are so frustrating, as even when I ask for a genuine reply, I get the same template.

Good luck - I really hope you get yours this month too!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

When responding to your email they will look at what it says in the system and reply accordingly.

It would be logical to have standard templates to avoid having to re wright each one.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

On 8/24/2024 at 4:06 PM, SourisMigratey said:

Thank you! I've just submitted another request, highlighting that we're not getting the 60-day emails. Hopefully this will back up what I've been trying to tell them for months.

The generic emails are so frustrating, as even when I ask for a genuine reply, I get the same template.

Good luck - I really hope you get yours this month too!

Any updates from NVC?

2 minutes ago, SourisMigratey said:

Unfortunately not, no. I'm guessing you haven't had any updates either?

Nothing yet. Im trying to find out if ILs were sent out for EB categories in London but no-one seems to be waiting for one here it seems. I don't know any other forums to ask.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, PACMAN82 said:

Any updates from the NVC?

Yesterday, we receieved an email from the NVC to say our expedite was accepted by the embassy. It's the first time our status has changed from "NVC" on the portal. So it seems like they've finally looked at our case and realised they've made an error in not giving us an IL earlier.

We still haven't had an IL, but now that they've changed our status, we should hopefully get one when the next batch is sent out! Although, I'm not getting my hopes up too much yet.

How is it for you? Any updates on your end?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
22 minutes ago, SourisMigratey said:

Yesterday, we receieved an email from the NVC to say our expedite was accepted by the embassy. It's the first time our status has changed from "NVC" on the portal. So it seems like they've finally looked at our case and realised they've made an error in not giving us an IL earlier.

We still haven't had an IL, but now that they've changed our status, we should hopefully get one when the next batch is sent out! Although, I'm not getting my hopes up too much yet.

I don't think you will get an IL from NVC.  I think you will receive instructions from the consulate.  Please update when you get either.  Thanks.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

3 hours ago, SourisMigratey said:

That's great news that the embassy has approved your expedite. I think there were some issues at NVC regarding London as my case only just got an IL a few days ago too. Pleased to hear all is moving in the right direction.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.