SL2024

Shipping UK to USA Query - Which shipping company/courier did you use?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi all,

I had my visa interview 2 weeks ago and I was approved which is great. I just wanted to ask people what shipping companies/couriers they used to send their items over to the USA if possible please? 

I have been looking into a few already (DHL, Fedex and UPS) and been getting a few quotes.

Hope you can help.

Hello, I used Britannia Movers. They were excellent, incredibly friendly, and the contents of my small flat in the UK got here without any incident. (No furniture: just books, figures, clothes, electronics, a bicycle, nerd trinkets...) 

Cost me about £2.5k via sea freight for around 20ish full boxes. (I tried to whittle down my stuff beforehand but my circumstances didn't give me much time - I recommend you do so to save on price! Still WAAAAY cheaper than other quotes I got and reasonable for a one-off life move.)

Arrived in the USA in a few months and was kept updated the entire time. No horrors. No breakages. Everything was just as I left it. My USC's family were impressed with the professionalism. 

I tried Pickford's at first because of their reputation but honestly it was completely undeserved. They were scattered, unhelpful, didn't walk me through the process, and were uninterested in helping me with customs forms. Getting hold of them was a headache. I lied in the end and said I cancelled my move because of their blundering. Complete opposite of Britannia Movers. Good reviews too - give them a shot. 

https://www.britannia-movers.co.uk

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Apologies I forgot to reply to this. Thank you for the recommendation but think I am going to with either DHL, Fedex or UPS on this as only looking to ship 1 box plus I need my stuff there within a week or 2 and I can't wait for to be delivered in a few months so I think I am ok paying an extra £50 based on the quotes I have got.

Timeline
1 hour ago, wallflowers said:

I’m sending a large 23kg box with Send My Bags - I’ve heard good reviews, and it only cost £124 which considering the weight and size, I thought was good!  

I also got a quote from Transglobal Express for £139. Both services offer door to door in under a week 😁

Where about in the USA are you shipping them to? Are those prices for door to door?

Might have to look at them after work haha

When are you shipping them as well?

Timeline
3 minutes ago, SL2024 said:

Where about in the USA are you shipping them to? Are those prices for door to door?

Might have to look at them after work haha

When are you shipping them as well?

Actually I just checked and I got a quote of £121 for standard but there is a sale on although I am not shipping my stuff over just yet. I’m interested in hearing about your experience with them and the service you received

9 hours ago, SL2024 said:

Actually I just checked and I got a quote of £121 for standard but there is a sale on although I am not shipping my stuff over just yet. I’m interested in hearing about your experience with them and the service you received

My box was picked up today by UPS, it’s off to Michigan (door to door using Send My Bags, expedited service for £124). Another member of the I-130 Discord group recommended them to me. They sent four suitcases which arrived in 3 days 😁 So far so good! I’ll let you know when it arrives, the estimate is the 30th!

Timeline
10 minutes ago, wallflowers said:

My box was picked up today by UPS, it’s off to Michigan (door to door using Send My Bags, expedited service for £124). Another member of the I-130 Discord group recommended them to me. They sent four suitcases which arrived in 3 days 😁 So far so good! I’ll let you know when it arrives, the estimate is the 30th!

Hey, that would be great if you could! Thank you so much! :) I did look at their reviews earlier and they sounded good.

On 9/27/2024 at 9:33 PM, SL2024 said:

Hey, that would be great if you could! Thank you so much! :) I did look at their reviews earlier and they sounded good.

Hey, my box arrived safe and sound! Shipped from the UK on Friday, delivery in the US on the Monday 😁 I definitely recommend them! Everything was easy peasy 😁

Timeline
5 minutes ago, wallflowers said:

Hey, my box arrived safe and sound! Shipped from the UK on Friday, delivery in the US on the Monday 😁 I definitely recommend them! Everything was easy peasy 😁

Hey, thank you for getting back to me and letting me know! That's great that it got delivered 3 days after being shipped. I think I have 2 boxes to ship so I might look at shipping one this month and the other next month so will go on their website and look at quotes for them again. Thank you for recommending them to me as well :) 

44 minutes ago, SL2024 said:

Hey, thank you for getting back to me and letting me know! That's great that it got delivered 3 days after being shipped. I think I have 2 boxes to ship so I might look at shipping one this month and the other next month so will go on their website and look at quotes for them again. Thank you for recommending them to me as well :) 

No problem at all! I just had a look and I just purchased the cheapest option too, not even the expedited one! I thought I must have purchased the express service but didn't, though it was express in the end! Haha

Timeline
1 hour ago, wallflowers said:

No problem at all! I just had a look and I just purchased the cheapest option too, not even the expedited one! I thought I must have purchased the express service but didn't, though it was express in the end! Haha

That's good that it got delivered so soon then!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.