Tunisian_tunisia

Different names on US passport and home country passport

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Hello, i recently got my US citizenship and changed my name few months  after i got my citizenship.

i was  as wondering how would that affect me getting in and out of the TUNISIA using my US passport that has a name that’s different the name on my Tunisian passport ? My tunisian passport is expired and i don't plan on renewing it before the trip so i'll be using my USA passport. the only issue is that i do know that immigration officers in the tunisian airport will run my name on their data base and I KNOW that they won't have any information pop because my new name DOESNT MATCH my name in tunisia if they look me up using my NEW USA NAME.

Do i have to bring my expired tunisian passport with me so they can confirm my identity ?
f I do so, will I be able to exit the country later using the US passport despite the names not matching ?

Will It be enter able to enter and exit the country with my USA passport ? Or will I have issues ?

Anyone from tunisia KNOWS HOW AWFUL it can be to deal with customes and border officer there, so i'm just trying to be prepared and avoid BEING DENIED ENTRY OR EXIT and get stuck there

thanks for the help

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

They do not take fingerprints?

They will not ask you who you are visiting?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline
2 hours ago, Boiler said:

They do not take fingerprints?

They will not ask you who you are visiting?

They don’t take finger prints but the do ask who you’re visiting and ask fathers name. However, even if they ask fathers name to verify identity, they won’t be able to because of the new name unless I tell them my old name and that’s where I’m worried issues may arise for having a mismatching identity from what they see on the passport and what they have in the system and the reason why I’m not using my Tunisian docs to enter and exit 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I was just thinking that say I was at Heathrow as soon as I opened my mouth they would know where I was from. 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

You should research Tunisian laws before travelling. Just like USA expect its citizens to leave and re-enter the US with US passport, many countries have the same rules.

If you're still a Tunisian citizen, you may be requried to enter and leave the Tunisia on a valid Tunisian passport.

25 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I was just thinking that say I was at Heathrow as soon as I opened my mouth they would know where I was from. 

In addition to that, US passport would probably list the place of birth which can give a clue... 

Edited by OldUser

5 hours ago, Tunisian_tunisia said:

i was  as wondering how would that affect me getting in and out of the TUNISIA using my US passport that has a name that’s different the name on my Tunisian passport ? My tunisian passport is expired and i don't plan on renewing it before the trip so i'll be using my USA passport. the only issue is that i do know that immigration officers in the tunisian airport will run my name on their data base and I KNOW that they won't have any information pop because my new name DOESNT MATCH my name in tunisia if they look me up using my NEW USA NAME.

How much does it cost to renew a Tunisian passport? I wouldn't play such games. Depending on laws of Tunisia this may subject to fine or criminal charge (I don't know the laws there).

In severe cases, if you end up in jail, USA won't step in if you're still a Tunisian citizen. So following the local laws is important.

Edited by OldUser

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I have never been in Tunisia but I think in Morocco they do not allow you to renounce your citizenship, is that the same in Tunisia? If that is the case or if you want to keep your Tunisian citizenship why not renew your passport to avoid problems?

And just traveling on your US passport would not be possible? I mean if you never had a Tunisian passport then nothing would pop up either I would assume. Why even bring up your Tunisian citizenship? Or am I saying something stupid now?

1 hour ago, Nous Eb said:

And just traveling on your US passport would not be possible? I mean if you never had a Tunisian passport then nothing would pop up either I would assume. Why even bring up your Tunisian citizenship? Or am I saying something stupid now?

Because lying to government?

And pretending to be somebody else...

And how are you going to hide it if US passport has place of birth and it's likely Tunisia for OP? With no ways of renouncing citizenship, I'm sure they'd figure out OP should be travelling on Tunisian passport (if this is a requirement by laws in Tunisia).

Edited by OldUser

Some countries allow citizens to re-enter with an expired passport, National ID card, or other alternative documents; sometimes, with other limitations.  Really, @Tunisian_tunisia should reach out to the closest diplomatic mission for Tunisia (consulate, or embassy), and ask how to proceed.   Another important note is that commercial carriers (airlines, ferries, etc.), might have different/stricter requirements than the border officials - so after confirming with the diplomatic mission (ideally in writing), double check with the airline.  Best of luck.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Why did you change your name? Are you male or female. 

I know for some people, when married, they add their spouses name...I know some change their name. But why? Why did you? Curious 

And as @OldUser said, your US PP has Tunisia as your country of birth. Now, if by virtue of you being born in Tunisia, you acquire citizenship, well, immigration officials will know that AND would be curious as to WHY you changed your name entirely...there's a big difference between changing and adding spouse's name. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
21 hours ago, Tunisian_tunisia said:

Hello, i recently got my US citizenship and changed my name few months  after i got my citizenship.

Do i have to bring my expired tunisian passport with me so they can confirm my identity ?
f I do so, will I be able to exit the country later using the US passport despite the names not matching ?

Will It be enter able to enter and exit the country with my USA passport ? Or will I have issues ?

Anyone from tunisia KNOWS HOW AWFUL it can be to deal with customes and border officer there, so i'm just trying to be prepared and avoid BEING DENIED ENTRY OR EXIT and get stuck there

thanks for the help

You shold post in the MENA  ( Midde East North Africa ) formum , you should get feedback on your Customs concerns  over there.

Formally Beth & Achraf,    Lost my sign in details.

Been here a Veryyyyy Long time. 

MY HUSBAND'S :   N-400  APPLIED FOR CITIZENSHIP:    Interview will be Houston Tx office.

Mailed:  11/13/2023

Delivered to USCIS Lock Box:  11/15/2023

Credit Card payment processed:  11-16-2023

Received Receipt #   via Text:  11-17-2023

I-797C Receipt received:  11-27-2023

Biometrics  will be reused per letter: 11-27-2023

04/09/2024:     INTERVIEW SCHEDULED :  HOUSTON OFFICE: MAY 14 2024   ♥

05/14/2024:     N-400 Interview   APPROVED  

June 5th, 2024:   OATH DAY:       

June 5th 2024:  My husband became a US Citizen ♥♥   1, 474 New US Citizens sworn in- Houston, Tx. 

The End of a Very long journey! 

looney tunes i might have miss a th in there GIF

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A.O.S.  FROM EXPIRED VISITORS VISA:

Sent: 9/12/16: I-130 + I-485 + I-765 (USPS)

Delivered: Sept. 15th 2016 to Chicago Lock Box

Interview Feb  21st, 2018 for I-485

Interview  May 13th, 2019 for I-130 Stokes interview ( 5 minutes)

NOID issued May 17th 2019

June 5th,2019   USCIS received my response per NOID,   Addressed the NOID myself, No lawyer ever used in case.

July 1st, 2019  10 YEAR GREEN CARD APPROVED

July 5th, 2019   Approval letters for I-130 & I-485 received in the USPS  mail.

July 11th 2019   Green Card in Hand

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
On 8/21/2024 at 10:25 PM, OldUser said:

Because lying to government?

And pretending to be somebody else...

And how are you going to hide it if US passport has place of birth and it's likely Tunisia for OP? With no ways of renouncing citizenship, I'm sure they'd figure out OP should be travelling on Tunisian passport (if this is a requirement by laws in Tunisia).

No not lying, just not bringing it up. I have no ideas what laws they have in Tunisia and I was asking if they could renounce their Tunisian citizenship. I know Moroccans can't. If they can't, I would assume they'd have to enter on valid Tunisian passport.

I guess I don't see the issue, just renew your Tunisian passport and travel with both just in case.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.