Sunny3

Cr1 Beneficiary skip Covid vaccines due illness (Hearing loss and stroke)

38 posts in this topic

I'm the beneficiary of CR1, we filed in late May 2024, I'm concerned because I keep reading everywhere that one of the main side effects in many people after Covid vaccination is hearing loss or tinnitus. I have an incident of SSHL (sudden deafness) since age 14 I'm 42 y.o. and I have only 1 ear that I must protect. I can't risk losing my only ear or having some tinnitus or damage to it. I don't have any Covid vaccine. I have chronic illnesses included a mini stroke last year and I was unable to get them in my country since I was homebound. Thing is I know they are mandatory. But I am terrified about losing my full hearing. I tend to have very sensitive ears anyway regardless the vacciness. Most people say "No, you'll be ok" even doctors would but why take the risk?? There are many documents by professors and MD that testify that covid vacciness cause hearing issues afterwards. Is it a way to skip it? I know that some religions have that option but I'm catholic, we're not against vacciness, I can't lie about my religion. Maybe showing my hearing test and the severe loss of almost 30 years ago would be a valid reason along with a doctor note saying that I could lose then only ear I have? 

Edited by Sunny3

*** Thread moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures ***

No, it doesn’t work that way. You will have to apply for a waiver based on religious or moral grounds. This will add about 2 years to the process plus the fees. And as you mentioned, this will be an obstacle since your religion doesn’t prohibit vaccines and you’re only specifically don’t want a COVID vaccine while getting all the others.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I am not sure I would worry about it too much at the moment.

You just filed so it will be say the end of 2025 before this becomes an issue and who knows what the situation will be then.

Certainly at the moment you are looking at a grand for the waiver and a couple of year delay. But this can also change.

It seems from what I have seen that they have been pretty generous with waivers. You might need legal help.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

You'll either have to apply for the waiver with strong evidence or take the vaccine. 

As of now, I don't see you with the former. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I just looked this up and the WHO reported 367 cases of tinnitus and 164 cases of hearing loss globally among people who had received a COVID-19 vaccine. That’s out of more than 11 billion doses of COVID vaccine given worldwide, so the hearing problems seem to be extremely rare. 

As other people have stated, it’s ultimately your decision to either have the vaccine and hope you’re in the majority, or attempt to get a waiver and pay the fee (plus the additional 2+ years). 

2 hours ago, kitty854hp said:

I just looked this up and the WHO reported 367 cases of tinnitus and 164 cases of hearing loss globally among people who had received a COVID-19 vaccine. That’s out of more than 11 billion doses of COVID vaccine given worldwide, so the hearing problems seem to be extremely rare. 

As other people have stated, it’s ultimately your decision to either have the vaccine and hope you’re in the majority, or attempt to get a waiver and pay the fee (plus the additional 2+ years). 

I am also one of the extremely rare cases of Neurosensorial Sudden Hearing Loss. I would not want to take any risks and recently my other only good ear has been experiencing some issues. I am also very sensitive to any medication even regular painkillers

Hi OP: hearing loss or tinnitus can happen with a variety of vaccines, not just COVID. That being said such hearing loss conditions can happen after acquiring COVID infection as well and they may also occur after exposure to COVID followed by a vaccination afterward. Statistically incidents are low from the vaccine, however they are far higher after an infection. I personally know one individual that did experience tinnitus following their 4th booster. They have several risk factors for tinnitus. This was after a prior infection so it would be hard for a doctor to say 100% that is what caused it, only that the symptoms began within 24hrs of the vaccine (and there are theories why). A year following the symptoms emerging, the condition comes and goes, and they have certainly spoken to doctors that acknowledge it is a possible side effect but one that may wane over time. As someone that experienced a different and also rare side effect from the vaccine, but also know many more people that are completely fine and healthy, I know it's a difficult issue and you have limited options. It is a known side effect though rare, and some countries disclose it as such.  But you have likely had vaccines in your lifetime that have the same amount of side effect risk. You're going to have to decide if a waiver, delays, and additional money is worth it. Unless you have a lifelong religious objection to all vaccines it will be an uphill battle.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

If you do not want to receive the vaccines then you can apply for a waiver (form-601). That does not add 2 years if you file it right with your i-485 instead of waiting to be denied first. I saw someone recently who had I-485 and i-601 filed simultaneously and had her green card in just a few months. Even after denial I believe the waiver for vaccines takes just a few months to be approved. Form I-601 CAN take long, but it's a form for all kinds of waivers, including criminal records, misrepresentation etc. The vaccine waiver, I was told, is quicker to be approved. Plus don't let anyone scare you out of that process even IF that might take 2 years if you really do not want to take the vaccines! I applied for a vaccine waiver myself but I just filed last month so I can't tell you the outcome yet. 

Point is though, if you want to file for the waiver, you must be against ALL vaccines and not just 1 or 2. So if you recently had vaccines it will be harder to get your i-601 approved because you would have a harder time convincing USCIS that you changed your mind on vaccines, whether on moral or on religious grounds (but NOT impossible!). But if you have a genuine conviction against vaccines and you can defend your position, then GO FOR IT. Your convictions can't be medical though, they must be moral and/or religious. 

The waiver is expensive though, I think I paid $1,040.00 just for the waiver. But to me, it is 100% worth it. My beliefs and my health are more important than living in the USA. Vaccines should be a personal choice anyway and never forced on you. I remember my civil surgeon said that as well when I told them at my medical that I refused the vaccines and would file for a waiver. I know the pressure is difficult to deal with and I have seen some ignorant and judgmental comments on this forum about vaccine waivers, but if your belief is genuine, those should not hold you back. IF you wouldn't get approved for the vaccine waiver (and I haven't seen any cases so far that were denied, people just don't like talking about it on here because of the comments they get), then just consider living in your home country, or any other country that is not forcing you to take anything against your will. If you are willing to be refused a green card for the USA for your belief, you have a strong case. If not and you already know you will take the vaccines for your green card if you have to, don't bother filing because if you can't even convince yourself, you're never gonna convince USCIS. Just get the vaccines then.

The other option, and that is if you are willing to take the entire list of other vaccines they require (and considering your age that will be more than you might think you need, I was shocked how many I apparently 'missed'), is to have the civil surgeon put with the covid vaccine that you can't have that particular vaccine for medical reasons. Not sure how that works and if they will, but worth looking into.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline
13 hours ago, Sunny3 said:

I'm the beneficiary of CR1, we filed in late May 2024, I'm concerned because I keep reading everywhere that one of the main side effects in many people after Covid vaccination is hearing loss or tinnitus. I have an incident of SSHL (sudden deafness) since age 14 I'm 42 y.o. and I have only 1 ear that I must protect. I can't risk losing my only ear or having some tinnitus or damage to it. I don't have any Covid vaccine. I have chronic illnesses included a mini stroke last year and I was unable to get them in my country since I was homebound. Thing is I know they are mandatory. But I am terrified about losing my full hearing. I tend to have very sensitive ears anyway regardless the vacciness. Most people say "No, you'll be ok" even doctors would but why take the risk?? There are many documents by professors and MD that testify that covid vacciness cause hearing issues afterwards. Is it a way to skip it? I know that some religions have that option but I'm catholic, we're not against vacciness, I can't lie about my religion. Maybe showing my hearing test and the severe loss of almost 30 years ago would be a valid reason along with a doctor note saying that I could lose then only ear I have? 

Although I took the vaccine myself to continue teaching internationally, I am not a huge fan.  I am hoping they take it off the vaccine list for immigration.  Not sure why it is still a requirement. I have heard of people actually getting COVID the actual virus and having these same side effects.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Nous Eb said:

If you do not want to receive the vaccines then you can apply for a waiver (form-601). That does not add 2 years if you file it right with your i-485 instead of waiting to be denied first. I saw someone recently who had I-485 and i-601 filed simultaneously and had her green card in just a few months. Even after denial I believe the waiver for vaccines takes just a few months to be approved. Form I-601 CAN take long, but it's a form for all kinds of waivers, including criminal records, misrepresentation etc. The vaccine waiver, I was told, is quicker to be approved. Plus don't let anyone scare you out of that process even IF that might take 2 years if you really do not want to take the vaccines! I applied for a vaccine waiver myself but I just filed last month so I can't tell you the outcome yet. 

Point is though, if you want to file for the waiver, you must be against ALL vaccines and not just 1 or 2. So if you recently had vaccines it will be harder to get your i-601 approved because you would have a harder time convincing USCIS that you changed your mind on vaccines, whether on moral or on religious grounds (but NOT impossible!). But if you have a genuine conviction against vaccines and you can defend your position, then GO FOR IT. Your convictions can't be medical though, they must be moral and/or religious. 

The waiver is expensive though, I think I paid $1,040.00 just for the waiver. But to me, it is 100% worth it. My beliefs and my health are more important than living in the USA. Vaccines should be a personal choice anyway and never forced on you. I remember my civil surgeon said that as well when I told them at my medical that I refused the vaccines and would file for a waiver. I know the pressure is difficult to deal with and I have seen some ignorant and judgmental comments on this forum about vaccine waivers, but if your belief is genuine, those should not hold you back. IF you wouldn't get approved for the vaccine waiver (and I haven't seen any cases so far that were denied, people just don't like talking about it on here because of the comments they get), then just consider living in your home country, or any other country that is not forcing you to take anything against your will. If you are willing to be refused a green card for the USA for your belief, you have a strong case. If not and you already know you will take the vaccines for your green card if you have to, don't bother filing because if you can't even convince yourself, you're never gonna convince USCIS. Just get the vaccines then.

The other option, and that is if you are willing to take the entire list of other vaccines they require (and considering your age that will be more than you might think you need, I was shocked how many I apparently 'missed'), is to have the civil surgeon put with the covid vaccine that you can't have that particular vaccine for medical reasons. Not sure how that works and if they will, but worth looking into.

Nothing to suggest this is AoS

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Nothing to suggest this is AoS

I see that, doesn't change much though except for maybe processing time, since they didn't file it right away with their paperwork for CR1. If they would have it might not have added much time, if any, to the whole process. Plus if OP is really against vaccines, the waiver or not moving to the USA are the only options. 

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Nous Eb said:

I see that, doesn't change much though except for maybe processing time, since they didn't file it right away with their paperwork for CR1. If they would have it might not have added much time, if any, to the whole process. Plus if OP is really against vaccines, the waiver or not moving to the USA are the only options. 

They have not had the interview yet.

I assume that will be towards the end of next year

Timeline
43 minutes ago, Boiler said:

They have not had the interview yet.

I assume that will be towards the end of next year

I see you are confused, maybe we are misunderstanding each other :content:.

I am saying that you do not need to wait filing your I-601 waiver until after the interview and denial. I already knew when I filed my AOS (in their case that would be the paperwork for the CR-1/IR-1) that I was going to need the waiver because my vaccine record is incomplete and I am refusing all vaccinations. So instead of waiting for it all to process, go to the interview, get denied, get the word that you can file a waiver, wait months longer, I filed everything all together with my AOS and the fees with it. So when I go to my interview, the waiver has already been filed (and possibly even approved) and I will not get denied because of an incomplete DS-3025 so they can then approve me right there and then. OP might still be able to file the waiver now while their paperwork is pending, but I am not sure how or where to do that. 

With 'it doesn't change much' I meant for the OP to go through with it even though it might take longer, cost money etc. if they have a genuine conviction. If they are not willing to go through any of it then filing the waiver is a waste of time because their conviction wouldn't be strong enough to convince a USCIS officer, regardless of visa type.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline

Asking for the people who know more about the medical, can't you get exempted from some vaccines for medical reasons? Obviously some people may have legit contraindications to a particular vaccine, like prior allergic reactions. How would they proceed?

CR1 Visa

USCIS STAGE: 16 days No expedite request but USC residing abroad
NVC STAGE: 19 days from case # to case complete
03/27/12: interview at Paris embassy - APPROVED
04/12/12: POE San Diego

ROC
01/15/14: sent I-751 application

05/14/14: received card production notification by e-mail, approval date 05/13

Naturalization

02/01/24: N-400 submitted online; Biometrics reuse notice received immediately online; "case being actively reviewed" after a couple hours

02/09/24: received NOA1 by mail

02/10/24: received biometrics reuse notice by mail

04/08/24: interview scheduled for 05/14. Received "We have taken an action in your case" email.

05/14/24: approved at interview, same-day oath ceremony in San Francisco 🥳 🇺🇸

Passport

06/10/24: application submitted at post office for passport book and card, paid for expedited processing and shipping

06/24/24: received email notification that passport was approved, then shipped with tracking number

06/25/24: passport received

3 hours ago, Nous Eb said:

I have no take any vacciness since almost 20 years. They give many side effects and now after stroke I can't take risks to get a second stroke or lose my hearing. I have most of the vacciness from childhood but not sure if are all the ones they request. I have the proof of my Sudden hearing loss but sad that is not enough to explain why I can't be exposed to risks. 1040 is a lot of money, we are not rich just an average working family wanting to live together not on a phone screen. Also thanks so much for the information

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.