Sander1234

USCIS not accepting Expedite Request

23 posts in this topic

I have been trying to submit our Expedite Request for our I-130 to USCIS for the past three weeks, but I've had no success. I used the secure message option in myUSCIS and uploaded a detailed request with all the necessary evidence. The request itself was clear and carefully put together: it is a single PDF with a cover letter, table of contents, detailed arguments, and a lot of evidence. However, after submitting the secure message twice and waiting 10 days each time, I received the same response from USCIS: "Unfortunately, your request will not be submitted because you do not currently have the required evidence to support the need for an expedite."

I followed up with a live agent through Ask Emma, who confirmed that the evidence is in my account and correctly labeled. However, the agent couldn't explain why USCIS claimed the evidence was missing. This feels like a deliberate attempt to block people from submitting Expedite Requests or, at the very least, to make the process unnecessarily difficult.

What should our next steps be? Should we try involving a Congressman or Senator, or submit the request again? Has this happened to anyone else here?

From what I understand, expedite requests take some time to get processed. It will most likely take few months to get noticed, I don't believe they're generally dealt with within few weeks of submitting.

Secondly, from what I understand, expedite requests are discretionary. USCIS doesn't have to approve it.

What are your reasons for expedite request? I've heard stories of USCIS denying request when a person had mother in terminal stage of cancer...

1 hour ago, Sander1234 said:

The issue is that they are not considering the Expedite Request at all. If USCIS would at least review it and then deny it, I would have a clear understanding of my situation.

Based on the 10 day gap between submitting and the response, it’s a denial due to lack of compelling evidence, per USCIS.   Most expedited are denied.  Everyone can come up with reasons to expedite.

Based on my understanding of USCIS's wording, the evidence is missing and therefore will not be provided to the officials responsible for reviewing expedite requests. That is different from a rejection.

This is what the USCIS email states as well: "If at a later time you can provide the evidence needed to be considered for an expedite, we strongly suggest uploading a letter of explanation and any evidence you may have to support your request in your USCIS online account." and "Once the Expedite Service Request is submitted, it will then be forwarded to the office with jurisdiction over your case."

Our Expedite Request concerns job loss, combined with a serious medical issue. The guidelines of USCIS specifically states "Job loss may be sufficient to establish severe financial loss for a person, depending on the individual circumstances." I've carefully put together all details and proof on our financial situation, proof of the layoff and proof of the medical situation which took me many hours. I know they have discretion and have a final say on whether they think it is severe enough in their eyes. But it is harder for me to accept if USCIS refuses even to look at the evidence I put together.

4 hours ago, SalishSea said:

Based on the 10 day gap between submitting and the response, it’s a denial due to lack of compelling evidence, per USCIS.   Most expedited are denied.  Everyone can come up with reasons to expedite.

1 minute ago, EM_Vandaveer said:

Nevertheless, it sounds like they denied the expedite request.

That’s what the language suggested to me as well. I’m not seeing how the language suggests that they haven’t seen the evidence. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Per your post, USCIS didn't find a reason for an expedite (ie no evidence of a valid expedite request), so they denied it. The evidence you uploaded didn't prove you need/qualify for an expedite. 

Edited by Scandi

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
7 hours ago, Sander1234 said:

If USCIS would at least review it and then deny it, I would have a clear understanding of my situation.

All they do is either approve or deny expedite requests.  They don't have to give a reason for the denial.  I agree with the other responses, they clearly denied your request to expedite based on the evidence you submitted.

1 hour ago, powerpuff said:

That’s what the language suggested to me as well. I’m not seeing how the language suggests that they haven’t seen the evidence. 

I have a friend who lives in Boston( this year it happened), and she was pregnant and had her case expedited fast. first, she was expecting the baby at any given moment.

secondly, she had her doctor send all information in regards to her condition to USCIS, and the doctor had the hospital administers as well sign-on 

they sent that information and her husband was here within 10 days... I don't know why OP needs the case expedited, but if it's for medical reasons.

it can be done.. but!! he/she needs all doctors to sign on.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I looked back at your prior posts and saw you were considering DCF now that would be quick. Well in US Immigration terms.

I could interpret your reasons in many different ways so can not comment on their validity.

I do know that expediting is very common, and the system they now have in place seems to be a pre screen and if you pass that it is looked at in detail. It appears to me the issue is that you have not passed the pre screen.

Yes you can have a Congressperson forward your application.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

many times expedite request has received no response from USCIS at all. it's unfortunately at their discretion. there's no rule that they have to response. i knew because i did couple of that request myself. yes in the end i succedded for expedite request and got approved for i-485, i-765, i-131 based on that but that's for another story

@Gary RichYou mean your friend’s husband got approved for expedite at USCIS and went through NVC and consular processing all within 10 days? I am finding it difficult to believe this. 

43 minutes ago, Moda25 said:

@Gary RichYou mean your friend’s husband got approved for expedite at USCIS and went through NVC and consular processing all within 10 days? I am finding it difficult to believe this. 

yes....... more or less I would say 2 weeks.. she had her doctors do the work!... he got here before the baby was born ( her blood pressure was high and she was in the hospital) and made it happen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.