Elyann

Bringing minor children of US citizen

10 posts in this topic

Hello,

I would like to have my children become US citizens as I am one as well.  They are currently in the US with me with visitor visas. 

1.  Is there a way to apply for their citizenship without first obtaining a green card? If so, what is this way and what are the forms required?

2. If I must apply for a green card through the I-130 and I-485, then how long do they have to wait to become US citizens?

Just now, Elyann said:

1. they are 6 years old

2. they were born before I became a citizen

They need Green Cards.

You can do it by filing I-130 for both of them. Then you'll either have to get them to council process (DS-260) or adjust status by filing I-485 (if eligible).

Once they become LPRs, they'll have to apply for their naturalization on their own.

7 minutes ago, OldUser said:

They need Green Cards.

You can do it by filing I-130 for both of them. Then you'll either have to get them to council process (DS-260) or adjust status by filing I-485 (if eligible).

Once they become LPRs, they'll have to apply for their naturalization on their own.

They would have to apply for citizenship when they are adults? I thought they could become citizens before since I am currently a US citizen.

34 minutes ago, Elyann said:

They would have to apply for citizenship when they are adults? I thought they could become citizens before since I am currently a US citizen.

If they were green card holders when you became a US citizen, yes. Or if they were born after you became a US citizen.

Otherwise they have to apply for N-400 as adults after you sponsor them for GC. There's no way to skip being a LPR stage AFAIK.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
58 minutes ago, Elyann said:

If they were green card holders and under 18, yes, they became citizen the same day you took you oath. 

Since they are under 18, you can get them a green card, once they get that, you can use your naturalization certificate plus their green card and get them a passport.  No need to file N400 however, once they get the passport, you can consider filling N600 for them

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Op, you've been given the right answers in previous responses by others. Your children will need to be legal permanent residents first before they can become citizens since they were born before you became a USC. So go ahead and petition them. Once they became LPR and your legal and physical custody inside the US, then they'll automatically became citizens too. Good luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Presumably the other Parent is OK with them immigrating to the US?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
2 hours ago, Boiler said:

Presumably the other Parent is OK with them immigrating to the US?

I was wondering the same thing.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.