JD2

Arrived on K1, got married, husband abusive

46 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
1 hour ago, EmilyW said:

OP, did she report this to the police, and does she have the police records? 

Also, medical personnel are mandated reporters and this can extend to adults where the adult is vulnerable to abuse (I'd assume a new immigrant would fit that category).  Did the medical personnel who treated her report the abuse?

Not true. Medical personnel are only mandated for domestic violence if the victim is over 60 years old. 

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
55 minutes ago, Pinkrlion said:

She can go back home and still file for VAWA. It will be embassy interview. 

Very true

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
34 minutes ago, Pinkrlion said:

Not true. Medical personnel are only mandated for domestic violence if the victim is over 60 years old. 

The following is the link I was basing my comment on, for information.  Also, please note my use of the word 'can' not 'does'. 

What is a Mandated Reporter? (namr.org)

'While the term mandated reporter is most often associated with persons who have a responsibility to report suspected child abuse, it can also refer to someone who reports abuse of adults, elderly persons, dependent adults, and adults with disabilities as well'.

Edited by EmilyW

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
5 hours ago, Timona said:

I did not make any unjustly assumptions. Whatever you described is a typical playback for some immigrants in an attempt to file VAWA. Years of experience on immigration forum will help you sniff this from afar. 

Abuse happens. But it is questionable when immigrant just landed and then abuse started next day, immigrant is already gathering "extensive evidence" etc. I would think that if indeed an abuse started on day 2 in US, an immigrant would be shocked or trying to go back home NOT starting a library of evidences. What's the aim of these evidences if not VAWA? Why doesn't she not want to go back home? You had implied she wants to stay in US.

Additionally, didn't the 2 spend time abroad? It becomes questionable when as soon as immigrant lands on US soil, abuse starts day 2. The short time frame isn't doing any favors. 

For nearly most immigrants,their first months is full of discovering the new environment: A spouse trying to show you how the bus line works, huge supermarkets, getting DL, meeting neighbors etc...

If your friend friend finds out she has no route in US other than AOSing via the K-1 petioner, it wouldn't be surprising if they suddenly made up. Honestly, there are 2 options: go back home OR fix it with the spouse. VAWA isn't looking great. So, what option will will she choose? Ask her and get back to us. 

And I'm very open minded. I do not advocate for abuse. At the same time, I don't support frivolous cases.

Just want to point out that spouses becoming abusive immediately after marriage is incredibly common. Some would describe it like a switch has been flipped. These kinds of abusers will love-bomb and treat their partners like gold before marriage but as soon as they are married/living together, a 180 happens. Much easier to control someone once you're under the same roof and tied to each other legally. You can see how this would be even easier to pull off for someone courting an immigrant.

The fraud angle is certainly possible and I'm not denying that whatsoever, but immigrants can be vulnerable and they can and do become victims of abuse due to this (hence why VAWA even exists).

It's not hard to have evidence of abuse when the abuse was real and documented through medical treatment. I would hope any immigrant who is being abused by their spouse would get help and go to the police. 

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Effects of Major Family Changes from K1 P&P as similar topics are discussed here.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

I also can't believe lack of empathy on here. 

4/12/13 - sent I-485 package

4/15/13 - USCIS Chicago Lockbox received package

4/22/13 - got email and txt

4/29/13 - received NOA in mail

5/08/13 - received biometrics appointment for 5/22

5/09/13 - successful early walk in at Port Chester, NY office

5/22/13 - I-485 updated to Testing & Interview

6/18/13 - EAD went to production

6/21/13 - Card/Document Production for EAD - second email

6/24/13 - EAD mailed

6/26/13 - EAD arrived

7/18/13 - got email about interview

7/20/13 - got hard copy interview letter

08/23/13 - interview - Approved dancin5hr.gif(card production & decision email)

08/28/13 - card production - second email

08/29/13 - card mailed

09/03/13 - card arrived

*********************************************************************************

05/27/2016 - N-400 mailed

06/02/2016 - NOA date

06/24/2016 - biometrics appointment

11/28/2016 - interview scheduled for January 9th, 2017

01/09/2017 - interview passed

01/20/2017 - Oath Ceremony

Timeline
5 minutes ago, discoverusa said:

I also can't believe lack of empathy on here. 

For who?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

12 minutes ago, Boiler said:

For who?

For the victim. 

4/12/13 - sent I-485 package

4/15/13 - USCIS Chicago Lockbox received package

4/22/13 - got email and txt

4/29/13 - received NOA in mail

5/08/13 - received biometrics appointment for 5/22

5/09/13 - successful early walk in at Port Chester, NY office

5/22/13 - I-485 updated to Testing & Interview

6/18/13 - EAD went to production

6/21/13 - Card/Document Production for EAD - second email

6/24/13 - EAD mailed

6/26/13 - EAD arrived

7/18/13 - got email about interview

7/20/13 - got hard copy interview letter

08/23/13 - interview - Approved dancin5hr.gif(card production & decision email)

08/28/13 - card production - second email

08/29/13 - card mailed

09/03/13 - card arrived

*********************************************************************************

05/27/2016 - N-400 mailed

06/02/2016 - NOA date

06/24/2016 - biometrics appointment

11/28/2016 - interview scheduled for January 9th, 2017

01/09/2017 - interview passed

01/20/2017 - Oath Ceremony

Timeline
7 minutes ago, discoverusa said:

For the victim. 

By no means clear who that is. But not someone participating in this thread.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline
20 minutes ago, Boiler said:

By no means clear who that is. But not someone participating in this thread.

When someone ends up in the hospital I think it's pretty clear.

CR1 Visa

USCIS STAGE: 16 days No expedite request but USC residing abroad
NVC STAGE: 19 days from case # to case complete
03/27/12: interview at Paris embassy - APPROVED
04/12/12: POE San Diego

ROC
01/15/14: sent I-751 application

05/14/14: received card production notification by e-mail, approval date 05/13

Naturalization

02/01/24: N-400 submitted online; Biometrics reuse notice received immediately online; "case being actively reviewed" after a couple hours

02/09/24: received NOA1 by mail

02/10/24: received biometrics reuse notice by mail

04/08/24: interview scheduled for 05/14. Received "We have taken an action in your case" email.

05/14/24: approved at interview, same-day oath ceremony in San Francisco 🥳 🇺🇸

Passport

06/10/24: application submitted at post office for passport book and card, paid for expedited processing and shipping

06/24/24: received email notification that passport was approved, then shipped with tracking number

06/25/24: passport received

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Laure&Colin said:

When someone ends up in the hospital I think it's pretty clear.

You were at the Hospital?

Sadly I have come across far too many similar stories.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline
1 hour ago, Boiler said:

You were at the Hospital?

Sadly I have come across far too many similar stories.

Are you a USCIS officer?

Then OP's friend doesn't have to prove anything to you. 

CR1 Visa

USCIS STAGE: 16 days No expedite request but USC residing abroad
NVC STAGE: 19 days from case # to case complete
03/27/12: interview at Paris embassy - APPROVED
04/12/12: POE San Diego

ROC
01/15/14: sent I-751 application

05/14/14: received card production notification by e-mail, approval date 05/13

Naturalization

02/01/24: N-400 submitted online; Biometrics reuse notice received immediately online; "case being actively reviewed" after a couple hours

02/09/24: received NOA1 by mail

02/10/24: received biometrics reuse notice by mail

04/08/24: interview scheduled for 05/14. Received "We have taken an action in your case" email.

05/14/24: approved at interview, same-day oath ceremony in San Francisco 🥳 🇺🇸

Passport

06/10/24: application submitted at post office for passport book and card, paid for expedited processing and shipping

06/24/24: received email notification that passport was approved, then shipped with tracking number

06/25/24: passport received

Timeline
Just now, Laure&Colin said:

Are you a USCIS officer?

Then OP's friend doesn't have to prove anything to you. 

No

But even if I was what would be the chance be of me handling this case, if filed at USCIS?

I do know if I had raised this I would have started with the Hospital, Police involvement etc.

Not she does not want to go home.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.