JD2

Arrived on K1, got married, husband abusive

46 posts in this topic

Asking for someone else.  Hello, suppose a woman came on a K1, married her petitioner, but before filing the I-130 and I-485, the husband became very physically abusive.  She actually got a protective order against him.  Is it still possible to proceed with the adjustment?  Or, is there any other way to get green card?  She has not gotten a SSN card yet either.

Edited by JD2

She can probably file a VAWA petition. This can protect her benefits without the abusive husband's participation.  

03/04/2016 AOS (EB2-NIW concurrent with I-485) mailed to Lewisville TX Lockbox
03/07/2016 AOS delivered to USCIS and signed
03/12/2016 Case received by Nebraska Service Center (NSC)
03/14/2016 Text notification received for I-140/I-485/I-765/I-131.
04/08/2016 Biometrics notice received for 04/21
04/13/2016 Biometrics early walk-in completed.
04/15/2016 EAD/AP combo card received in mail.

Long wait begins...

11/04/2016 I-140/485 cases transferred from Nebraska to TCS
12/01/2016 Prepared package for EAD/AP renewal (expires 04/09/2017)
12/23/2016 USCIS suddenly changes several forms, invalidating my EAD/AP renewal package (not yet sent)
12/27/2016 USCIS suddenly reforms the entire NIW criteria system, replacing a 20 years old one. Uncharted waters. 
01/07/2017 (Saturday!) EAD/AP renewal package with new forms received in Phoenix "reception desk"
01/17/2017 EAD/AP renewal case accepted; text/email with receipt numbers was received
01/30/2017 Law firm finally confirms that USCIS has suspended processing all EB2-NIW cases due to new criteria. 
02/23/2017 USCIS slowly starts adjudicating NIW cases again.
04/21/2017 Extended EAD/AP received in mail. Valid for 2 years. 
05/06/2017 Received a massive RFE on I-140 NIW case.
07/20/2017 RFE response received by USCIS (a very long response with 30 pages of docs)
09/14/2017 I-140 NIW approved!!! 
11/28/2017 RFE for new medical issued (plus another request re Supp J for employment which is clearly issued in error)
12/04/2017 RFE received in mail
12/07/2017 repeated medical exam for I-485
12/08/2017 Attorney receives documents for responding to I-485 RFE
12/21/2017 Response to RFE received by USCIS 
02/09/2018 I-485 approval (text, email) :)
02/08/2018 I-485 approval notice issued (the "welcome letter") - I'm LPR now
02/16/2018 Green card received

11/14/2022 Filed N-400 online; receipt and biometrics reuse form received online
03/07/2023 N-400 Interview scheduled 
04/xx/2023 N-400 approved, same-day Oath ceremony completed. I'm a US citizen.
05/xx/2023 US passport in hand

33 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

I believe she can only adjust via the K-1 petitioner.

Even though she married her USC petitioner?  The I-360 instructions list "An abused spouse or child of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, or an abused parent of a U.S. citizen son or daughter pursuant to the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

How long have they been officially married? 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

5 minutes ago, JD2 said:

Why isn't VAWA an option?  Lebanon

How much solid documentation of abuse does she have?

WAVA could be an option, but the shorter the marriage was, the harder is to prove there was a relationship at all. Short marriages are fraud indicators and may be held to a higher standard by USCIS.

Edited by OldUser

Just now, OldUser said:

How much solid documentation of abuse does she have?

WAVA could be an option, but the shorter the marriage was, the harder is to prove there was a relationship at all.

proving VAWA won't be an issue.  overwhelming evidence imho.  photos, medical records, social workers, restraining order

1 minute ago, Timona said:

All within 4 months of being in US? Couples should be honeymoon-ing during this time but your friend is busy collecting "overwhelming evidence," knew how to find her way to police station, knew what VAWA is and is lining up with evidences? Most couples at this time are usually trying to get AOS package ready or trying a hail Mary SSN application while job hunting. 

And she has a restraining order ontop of the protective order? They're then not living in marital harmony, probably living separate. AOS isn't an option, therefore. 

I'm not to judge, but your friend has/is being coached. 

Sorry, I mistyped only protective order not restraining.  I get skepticism but I think you're making a lot of assumptions.  You compare her to most couples but most husbands are not physically abusing their wives.  How can anything be normal with physical abuse in the mix?  You are assuming she knew what VAWA was.  I found it through Google after a response here.  She's never mentioned that.  You are assuming she's "lining up evidences" and "finding her way to the police station."  She got physically abused and she wound up in the hospital and the medical staff referred her to social services who helped her.  And you are right, they are not living together.  She moved out.  I should have written proceed with the adjustment without him.  Assume she's telling the truth for a sec: If she wanted you to believe her and not appear coached, what should she have done?  Not gotten medical treatment?  Tell the hospital not to refer her to social services?  to destroy her medical records?  never take photos of her injuries?  refuse to talk to the police?

24 minutes ago, OldUser said:

One would think an overwhelming majority of victims in this situation seek help and support from their family and head back to the country of origin.

With only 3-4 months in the US, most of them would feel like it was a long horrible vacation VS planning long term immigration route. Of course, the person may have legitimate marital issue and abuse, as well as desire now to stay in the US. But USCIS will be no less sceptical and could assume it was all planned before entering the US.

I cannot advise whether to go VAWA route or not, just a warning it may be a challenging one.

Does the reason why she wants to stay, as long as it is legal, matter in a VAWA case?  Her home country is in financial crisis and war which could escalate.  I think you're right that it'll be harder to prove up a short marriage.  But, if she were being coached, why wouldn't she wait longer?  There's a big difference between a weak case and fraud.  But I guess everyone is a fraudster if the standard of fraud is being able to use Google and find your way to a police station.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.