hplusj

One more time: K1, legal alien allowed to work...

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

This could probably go into the SSN subforum but just in case, I'll post here. 

We are preparing for my fiance to arrive in September, and will be marrying the second week of October.  His employer wants to retain him but it's been made clear to them that his position/pay needs to be suspended until he is authorized to work again.  Here's the thing..

People have been very clear about K1 visas allowing individuals to apply for an EAD but that it's essentially useless to do so since it's only valid for 90 days.  I.. think it's attached to the validity of the i-94 travel record, if I recall correctly, and not to the marriage date.  Feel free to correct me if I'm getting this wrong.

We're going in to the SSA office to get his SSN shortly after he arrives in September.  We're prepared to supply evidence that he is an alien allowed to work.  Allowed.. not the same as authorized, if the above is correct.  So what is the point of getting the SSN early, if nobody uses it for an EAD?  Why is it so essential?  Even the SSA's non-citizen cheat sheet says it's not actually needed for bank accounts, etc.  I assumed it would be needed with proof of a K-1 so that taxes can be filed for any work done prior to marriage but.. that does not seem to actually apply.

And JUST to be clear.. if he gets his SSN, he still needs to wait until we file an I-765 and get his EAD until he can give the go ahead to his employer, yes?

Our K-1 Journey

7 Aug 2023: I-129F petition mailed.

9 Aug 2023: NOA1, arrives approx. a week after mailing with this issuance date.

1 Mar 2024: NOA2 (v 1.0) issued.  Time between NOAs, 205 days (6 months 23 days).  NOA2 exp date 30 Jun 2024.

8 Mar 2024: NVC received case.

1 Apr 2024: after one inquiry, NVC provided case #.

8 May 2024: NOA2 (v 2.0) issued.  Same USCIS #, same case #, new exp date of 7 Sep 2024.

May-June 2024: many inquiries sent to NVC as well as the embassy, as we see other K1s with later NOA2s are sent to Johannesburg before us.  Involved senators to investigate, refused to assist without expedite request.  Emailed the White House, end of June 2024.

2 Jul 2024: case leaves the NVC for Johannesburg.  Total wait time at NVC, 123 days (4 months 1 day).

5 Jul 2024: consulate in Johannesburg receives case.

8 Jul 2024: Packets 3 & 4 received, medical and visa appointments scheduled.

23 Jul 2024: medical appointment with Dr. Brauer (Cape Town).

8 Aug 2024: visa interview with CO in Johannesburg, 16 days after medical.  Visa not issued because medical packet wasn't filed yet.  Passport and birth certificate kept by CO.  Total time from NOA1 to interview/approval, 365 days (exactly 1 year).

13 Aug 2024: email to consulate due to CEAC still displaying "Application Received" status, instead of the predicted "Refused" or "Administrative Processing".

14 Aug 2024: consulate reply, they are currently processing visa.  CEAC status changes to "Approved" (no refused or AP statuses prior).

15 Aug 2024: CEAC case status changed to "Issued"

20 Aug 2024: K1 visa in hand!

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

Yes the EAD in hand will  be required before he can work

Yes .. Any Authorisation to work based on K1 would be valid only for the 90 days … And the application would not be processed before this expires anyway 

SSN makes it easier to do bank account, state ID, get onto health insurance etc without having to battle with agents who aren’t familiar with the process or legitimacy of applying without SSN 

Oh that's right, we were thinking of doing a driver's license for him before the EAD so that would make sense, why a SSN would make that part easier.

Thanks for the clarification.  I think we've got the timing right, and it's so much easier when we don't have to worry about a name change for him.  For me to do it, will be so much easier.

Appreciate the speedy reply!

Our K-1 Journey

1 Mar 2024: NOA2 (v 1.0) issued.  Time between NOAs, 205 days (6 months 23 days).  NOA2 exp date 30 Jun 2024.

8 May 2024: NOA2 (v 2.0) issued.  Same USCIS #, same case #, new exp date of 7 Sep 2024.

May-June 2024: many inquiries sent to NVC as well as the embassy, as we see other K1s with later NOA2s are sent to Johannesburg before us.  Involved senators to investigate, refused to assist without expedite request.  Emailed the White House, end of June 2024.

2 Jul 2024: case leaves the NVC for Johannesburg.  Total wait time at NVC, 123 days (4 months 1 day).

8 Aug 2024: visa interview with CO in Johannesburg, 16 days after medical.  Visa not issued because medical packet wasn't filed yet.  Passport and birth certificate kept by CO.  Total time from NOA1 to interview/approval, 365 days (exactly 1 year).

13 Aug 2024: email to consulate due to CEAC still displaying "Application Received" status, instead of the predicted "Refused" or "Administrative Processing".

14 Aug 2024: consulate reply, they are currently processing visa.  CEAC status changes to "Approved" (no refused or AP statuses prior).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Follow your plan as laid out right now.  Have his employer provide a letter or something similar showing he has a job waiting for him, and file the AOS/EAD package ASAP as soon as you have the marriage certificate in hand (you can start getting the forms filled out now).  Then request an expedite for the EAD after you get the receipt NOA.  You can also contact your House member or Senator to help push the EAD expedite.  

Good Luck!

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/filing-guidance/expedite-requests

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline
55 minutes ago, Dashinka said:

Follow your plan as laid out right now.  Have his employer provide a letter or something similar showing he has a job waiting for him, and file the AOS/EAD package ASAP as soon as you have the marriage certificate in hand (you can start getting the forms filled out now).  Then request an expedite for the EAD after you get the receipt NOA.  You can also contact your House member or Senator to help push the EAD expedite.  

Good Luck!

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/filing-guidance/expedite-requests

Oh this begs another question then, would the reason for the expedite be loss of profit for the company? 

Our K-1 Journey

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
29 minutes ago, hplusj said:

Oh this begs another question then, would the reason for the expedite be loss of profit for the company? 

Probably not. But the applicant  having the job offer is !! 

Timeline
41 minutes ago, hplusj said:

It loosely falls under that category.  As a couple after marriage, it benefits you the USC if your spouse is able to work, and having a job waiting may help in expediting an EAD.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
3 hours ago, hplusj said:

we were thinking of doing a driver's license for him before the EAD

Check your state's requirements for a driver's license.  Most require EAD or green card so your plan may not work.

Timeline

Another point about getting the SSN early.  You have until the 76th day following the issue of the I-94 to apply for the SSN.  After that you will have to wait until the EAD is issued to apply.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Dogs can't take MRI's but Cat scan.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

There was a time you could get an EAD stamp when you entered good for 90 days, or it took a few weeks to get an EAD.

The US does not have a National ID,  except SSN, and DL... It is just easier to get a SSN asap.

Seems they have now been hacked so that should be fun.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
31 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

Check your state's requirements for a driver's license.  Most require EAD or green card so your plan may not work.

I would recommend actually talking to someone at the BMV in person or through email. I am preparing for my fiance to arrive (hopefully!) in December and was a bit dismayed when looking at the website that said you need the EAD or green card to get a license. The person I spoke to wasn't the most helpful, but they gave me options as to what documents to bring to get a conditional (non-renewable) license for my fiance. All things that are not found on the website. I have seen others say the same thing. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
7 hours ago, hplusj said:

We're going in to the SSA office to get his SSN shortly after he arrives in September.  We're prepared to supply evidence that he is an alien allowed to work.  Allowed.. not the same as authorized, if the above is correct.  So what is the point of getting the SSN early, if nobody uses it for an EAD?  Why is it so essential?  Even the SSA's non-citizen cheat sheet says it's not actually needed for bank accounts, etc.  I assumed it would be needed with proof of a K-1 so that taxes can be filed for any work done prior to marriage but.. that does not seem to actually apply.

And JUST to be clear.. if he gets his SSN, he still needs to wait until we file an I-765 and get his EAD until he can give the go ahead to his employer, yes?

I was in the exact same situation, stayed with the same employer but switched countries - having an offer made zero difference so I got to spend 4+ months at the time practicing yoga and exercising more than I ever had before (or since... :)).

Having an SSN early is a good idea like everyone already mentioned, even if it is not strictly required, it makes sure your records at the various reporting agencies don't get messed up. For example, everyone knows about the big three credit bureaus that screen for credit scores, but there are plenty of others like ChexSystems that track bank accounts - the sooner you have everything mapped to your SSN the less chance of issues later on.

As an example I signed up for an AT&T phone plan as soon as I arrived before I had a valid SSN, so they input a placeholder. 7 years later this still causes issues every time I need to do anything with that plan such as order a new phone. They can probably fix it if I spend enough time on it with an employee that has the right level of access, but so far that has proved elusive...

Timeline
4 hours ago, carmel34 said:

No worries, I've already spoken with a rep at our DOT after I emailed them. They said a driver's license can be done on a K1, but he'll have to renew after that expires.  The cost to get it will be ten dollars each time, we're not sweating it since I want him to be mobile (and insured, for documentation on the AOS).

Our K-1 Journey

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I know Colorado rules have changed a few times, I was fine as it did not take long to get my EAD and CO allowed New Residents quite a long time to get a DL.

So first you need to know how long you have as a new resident to get a DL.

If they say you can get one as a K1 I assume that would expire after the 90 days.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.