Melancholic Mage

The Visa Medical Thread

36 posts in this topic

I just had my required medical examination two days ago and thought I'd write down my whole experience as well as make a thread regarding anyone's questions about it.

Travel:

I travelled by train to London, Kings Cross station and decided to walk my way to the medical centre. The walk took around 35-40 minutes or so to 4 Bentinck Mansions which is across the street from The Coach Makers Arms pub, to help those locate it in future. You're required to ring the buzzer of Flat 4 to be allowed entry into the medical - as instructed by a sign outside. As I arrived earlier, I made a quick cut through a back street and huddled into a small Costa Coffee while I waited. A gentleman who had left the building earlier asked if I was there for my medical and advised me to go inside within 10-15 minutes of my appointment time as there is limited seating, so I returned within 15 minutes.

I buzzed to let them know of my appointment and was allowed entry. There's a few steps that lead into the building's ground floor, with a lift dead-centre and stairs going further up into the building. Ignore these as the medical clinic is the first door on your right.

Reception:

There's two windows on the right-hand side wall with two receptionists behind. They asked me for my name, appointment time, then asked me to provide all required documents. I had actually compartmentalised my paperwork which actually worked against me so my advice would be just to stick all your documents into one folder to save time. The receptionist will also ask for your passport before sifting through your documents and taking photocopies where needed.

I was then told to stand in the far corner where there's a small stool and a square white plaque on the wall to have my picture taken. Depending on your visa type, you may or may not be required to do this. (I had brought passport photos of myself but they still took a digital picture.) I was then instructed to wait in their seating area after all my documents checked out. (On their visa medical form you must fill out prior to your appointment I noted that I didn't know my current height or weight and as such left blank. The receptionist told me this was fine and the doctor would complete this for me after taking readings.)

Waiting Area:

The building is a converted Victorian manor house given the high ceilings and the fireplace in the waiting area. There wasn't much seating available and it was busier than I expected. I would say the room held maybe 20 chairs tops. There was a small station with drinking water, but most of it was empty. I thankfully brought my own water bottle which I would advise others to do as well. I didn't have long to wait before I was called in for my X-Ray.

X-Ray:

The radiologist introduced themselves and told me go to a small corner where there was a curtain and chair for my belongings. I was told to draw the curtain, remove my top, and wear a gown that was given to me. There were two hairclips on a small shelf with a mirror and I was instructed to pin my hair up for the X-Ray - this will be required for anyone with hair on or below their shoulders. Afterwards, I was told to press my chest front-first against a black panel and push my shoulders forward. It took a few seconds for the radiologist to take my results. I was then told to re-dress behind the curtain and to keep the gown as I would need it for the doctors assessment. I was then told to return to the waiting room. Painless.

Doctor's Assessment:

Honestly the most uncomfortable part of the whole process.

I was waiting for maybe another 15 - 20 minutes before my name was called again. I was taken into a different room with a seat by a window and another seat by a desk where the doctor sat. They had my previously given GP health records and asked me some basic questions: if I ever smoked, ever took drugs, any medication I was currently on... They asked if I had ever been hospitalised or had any kind of chronic disease. They were very thorough with my records and even pointed out a diagnosis I had completely forgot to mention to them. (Fibromyalgia: so used to living with it now I don't even think about it much.) They took some time to go over my Mental Health history which I won't delve into here but I do have a significant past without major hospitalisation/sectioning. I have no idea of the outcome of this. I was simply honest and straightforward with my answers and just have my fingers crossed it was sufficient enough. I did have an accompanying letter by my therapist and a small sheet detailing my diagnosis.

They took my weight (Five Guys), took my height (Hobbit), then asked me to go to the medical bed behind them and remove my clothes behind the curtain except for my underwear. I was told to wear my gown once more but to wear it as I would a dressing gown - the front open. They examined my lymph nodes, listened to my heart, listened to my lungs as I was instructed to breathe in and out, then poked and prodded at my legs, arms, and my stomach. This felt like they were digging pits into my ribs. Was highly uncomfortable to the point of pain, but could also be exasperated by my Fibromyalgia condition. They then drew blood from my arm and told me to redress behind the curtain. I left my gown with them and that was that. Back into the waiting room I went.

Vaccination Nurse:

After more waiting my name was once more called and I was taken into a final room. This one was small, stuffed with filing cabinets and a desk. The nurse glanced over my vaccination records. The only one I was missing was the Hepatitis B vaccination which they advised I could get done elsewhere, or get it done with them in the room. I opted for the latter. They asked which arm I wanted vaccinated, brushed down my skin, gave me a quick jab and popped a plaster over. Done and dusted. 

I feel it important to note my GP (who is terrible) told me I would need three doses of Hepatitis B vaccine, with two weeks between each jab, costing £30 for each to be fully covered. They aIso told me I only had 2/5 Polio vaccinations and that I would need more to be fully covered. They did give me a Tetanus jab for free however covered by the NHS which was needed for the medical - Visa Medicals DO charge for this. This particular nurse at my usual practice was dithering and didn't instill any confidence in me so I declined and decided to see what Visa Medicals wanted which was the best call. My two Polio vaccinations were enough in the past, and the Hep B jab was one dose at £40. I didn't need three. So actually saved a little bit of money for once.

They gave me a vaccination sheet with the additional cost of the extra vaccination I took, then I was done. I returned to reception.

Final Result and Notes:

The receptionist triple-checked I had my X-Ray, seen the Doctor, and the Nurse, before she took my vaccination sheet off me with the cost. She returned my passport, my documents, and all that was left was to pay the bill. Please note they DO NOT ACCEPT AMERICAN EXPRESS. Something to keep in mind as there were notices making this clear as well as the receptionist triple-checking that I wasn't trying to pay via AMEX. Paid by card, took my receipt, gathered all my documents plus some new additional ones with my vaccination results for the embassy, and that was it. I was back out into the London smog.

Overall I was there for about 2 hours. It didn't feel like it took this long as there's reasonable gaps between each session you undergo with the radiologist, doctor, and nurse, but that was how much time had passed when I stepped back outside. Another thing to note is there doesn't seem to be an order in who you see. Some people appeared to be called to the nurse first. Others the doctor. For me it was in the order listed here.

There is a toilet in the building but it was constantly engaged. I would advise trying to use a toilet in a cafe or restaurant before going inside to save you the headache as I thankfully did. The place was surprisingly busy and a little cramped. Be prepared to sit through crying babies and more than a few children running around and swinging off chairs. It wasn't unbearably loud however, just something to keep in mind.

If anyone has any questions I'll do my best to answer them but hope this helps others through the process and the nerves of the medical.

Edited by Melancholic Mage

7 hours ago, Melancholic Mage said:

I just had my required medical examination two days ago and thought I'd write down my whole experience as well as make a thread regarding anyone's questions about it.

Travel:

I travelled by train to London, Kings Cross station and decided to walk my way to the medical centre. The walk took around 35-40 minutes or so to 4 Bentinck Mansions which is across the street from The Coach Makers Arms pub, to help those locate it in future. You're required to ring the buzzer of Flat 4 to be allowed entry into the medical - as instructed by a sign outside. As I arrived earlier, I made a quick cut through a back street and huddled into a small Costa Coffee while I waited. A gentleman who had left the building earlier asked if I was there for my medical and advised me to go inside within 10-15 minutes of my appointment time as there is limited seating, so I returned within 15 minutes.

I buzzed to let them know of my appointment and was allowed entry. There's a few steps that lead into the building's ground floor, with a lift dead-centre and stairs going further up into the building. Ignore these as the medical clinic is the first door on your right.

Reception:

There's two windows on the right-hand side wall with two receptionists behind. They asked me for my name, appointment time, then asked me to provide all required documents. I had actually compartmentalised my paperwork which actually worked against me so my advice would be just to stick all your documents into one folder to save time. The receptionist will also ask for your passport before sifting through your documents and taking photocopies where needed.

I was then told to stand in the far corner where there's a small stool and a square white plaque on the wall to have my picture taken. Depending on your visa type, you may or may not be required to do this. (I had brought passport photos of myself but they still took a digital picture.) I was then instructed to wait in their seating area after all my documents checked out. (On their visa medical form you must fill out prior to your appointment I noted that I didn't know my current height or weight and as such left blank. The receptionist told me this was fine and the doctor would complete this for me after taking readings.)

Waiting Area:

The building is a converted Victorian manor house given the high ceilings and the fireplace in the waiting area. There wasn't much seating available and it was busier than I expected. I would say the room held maybe 20 chairs tops. There was a small station with drinking water, but most of it was empty. I thankfully brought my own water bottle which I would advise others to do as well. I didn't have long to wait before I was called in for my X-Ray.

X-Ray:

The radiologist introduced themselves and told me go to a small corner where there was a curtain and chair for my belongings. I was told to draw the curtain, remove my top, and wear a gown that was given to me. There were two hairclips on a small shelf with a mirror and I was instructed to pin my hair up for the X-Ray - this will be required for anyone with hair on or below their shoulders. Afterwards, I was told to press my chest front-first against a black panel and push my shoulders forward. It took a few seconds for the radiologist to take my results. I was then told to re-dress behind the curtain and to keep the gown as I would need it for the doctors assessment. I was then told to return to the waiting room. Painless.

Doctor's Assessment:

I was waiting for maybe another 15 - 20 minutes before my name was called again. I was taken into a different room with a seat by a window and another seat by a desk where the doctor sat. They had my previously given GP health records and asked me some basic questions: if I ever smoked, ever took drugs, any medication I was currently on... They asked if I had ever been hospitalised or had any kind of chronic disease. They were very thorough with my records and even pointed out a diagnosis I had completely forgot to mention to them. (Fibromyalgia: so used to living with it now I don't even think about it much.) They took some time to go over my Mental Health history which I won't delve into here but I do have a significant past without major hospitalisation/sectioning. I have no idea of the outcome of this. I was simply honest and straightforward with my answers and just have my fingers crossed it was sufficient enough. I did have an accompanying letter by my therapist and a small sheet detailing my diagnosis.

They took my weight (Five Guys), took my height (Hobbit), then asked me to go to the medical bed behind them and remove my clothes behind the curtain except for my underwear. I was told to wear my gown once more but to wear it as I would a dressing gown - the front open. They examined my lymph nodes, listened to my heart, listened to my lungs as I was instructed to breathe in and out, then poked and prodded at my legs, arms, and my stomach. This felt like they were digging pits into my ribs. Was highly uncomfortable to the point of pain, but could also be exasperated by my Fibromyalgia condition. They then drew blood from my arm and told me to redress behind the curtain. I left my gown with them and that was that. Back into the waiting room I went.

Vaccination Nurse:

After more waiting my name was once more called and I was taken into a final room. This one was small, stuffed with filing cabinets and a desk. The nurse glanced over my vaccination records. The only one I was missing was the Hepatitis B vaccination which they advised I could get done elsewhere, or get it done with them in the room. I opted for the latter. They asked which arm I wanted vaccinated, brushed down my skin, gave me a quick jab and popped a plaster over. Done and dusted. 

I feel it important to note my GP (who is terrible) told me I would need three doses of Hepatitis B vaccine, with two weeks between each jab, costing £30 for each to be fully covered. They aIso told me I only had 2/5 Polio vaccinations and that I would need more to be fully covered. They did give me a Tetanus jab for free however covered by the NHS which was needed for the medical - Visa Medicals DO charge for this. This particular nurse at my usual practice was dithering and didn't instill any confidence in me so I declined and decided to see what Visa Medicals wanted which was the best call. My two Polio vaccinations were enough in the past, and the Hep B jab was one dose at £40. I didn't need three. So actually saved a little bit of money for once.

They gave me a vaccination sheet with the additional cost of the extra vaccination I took, then I was done. I returned to reception.

Final Result and Notes:

The receptionist triple-checked I had my X-Ray, seen the Doctor, and the Nurse, before she took my vaccination sheet off me with the cost. She returned my passport, my documents, and all that was left was to pay the bill. Please note they DO NOT ACCEPT AMERICAN EXPRESS. Something to keep in mind as there were notices making this clear as well as the receptionist triple-checking that I wasn't trying to pay via AMEX. Paid by card, took my receipt, gathered all my documents plus some new additional ones with my vaccination results for the embassy, and that was it. I was back out into the London smog.

Overall I was there for about 2 hours. It didn't feel like it took this long as there's reasonable gaps between each session you undergo with the radiologist, doctor, and nurse, but that was how much time had passed when I stepped back outside. Another thing to note is there doesn't seem to be an order in who you see. Some people appeared to be called to the nurse first. Others the doctor. For me it was in the order listed here.

There is a toilet in the building but it was constantly engaged. I would advise trying to use a toilet in a cafe or restaurant before going inside to save you the headache as I thankfully did. The place was surprisingly busy and a little cramped. Be prepared to sit through crying babies and more than a few children running around and swinging off chairs. It wasn't unbearably loud however, just something to keep in mind.

If anyone has any questions I'll do my best to answer them but hope this helps others through the process and the nerves of the medical.

Wow, I don’t think I’ve ever read such a wonderfull and comprehensive review. It’s increadalbally helpful, thank you. As the medical is just a few weeks away, the information is immensely helpful. Did have a couple of questions: 

Did you have a urine sample?

Did you take anyone with you? Not sure is family members can come into the building due to the limited space. Did you notice anyone accompany the examinee?

is what they gave you when you left to be taken to the interview, or is it just for your records?

what was the total cost?

wish you well for the interview and hope you can update on how it goes -).

1 hour ago, SL2024 said:

So overall was it better than you thought it would be? I remember you were anxious about it on a previous post on the forum

1 hour ago, SL2024 said:

Also were you considering getting a tube to Visa Medicals or did you just prefer to walk in general? As when I went I think it was a 5 minute walk from the tube station

It's nice you took note of that. I was anxious about my MH history more than anything. They did throw me some curveball questions but otherwise didn't question my responses. They accepted all paperwork which I was worried they would request further information. They still could since they mentioned if they needed anything else they would contact after 5 business days once results were back.

It was about as expected otherwise. I considered the tube briefly but for personal reasons and after recent events (riots) felt safer to walk. I was admittedly exhausted but felt the exercise was better than risking the horror stories you hear about the Underground.

1 hour ago, Tesco said:

Wow, I don’t think I’ve ever read such a wonderfull and comprehensive review. It’s increadalbally helpful, thank you. As the medical is just a few weeks away, the information is immensely helpful. Did have a couple of questions: 

Did you take anyone with you? Not sure is family members can come into the building due to the limited space. Did you notice anyone accompany the examinee?

is what they gave you when you left to be taken to the interview, or is it just for your records?

what was the total cost?

Thank you. I noticed there's simply not enough information about the medical on here yet a lot of people ask questions about it. Thought I'd at least help even the information gap.

To answer your questions...

Did you have a urine sample?: No, I didn't have to give one. I believe that's for teenagers and under.

Did you take anyone with you?: I was flying solo, hence my heightened anxiety. (I have hyper-vigilance which doesn't help when it comes to situations like these.) It's also one of the reasons I decided to walk and avoid the tube. I was a recent victim of assault so admittedly that contributed towards my behaviour.

Can family members come into the building/accompany?: Yes they can. There was a few families there and at times the mother/father went in alone. Regarding children/teens, their parents appeared to be able to accompany them. If you're asking if someone who ISN'T part of the visa application can accompany, I don't believe so.

Is what they gave you left to be taken to the interview?: I honestly can't recall but I was going to take it to the interview regardless. I know they send the medical records to the embassy so I think it was mainly for my own records.

What was the total cost?: Overall it cost me £425. £385 for the medical and an additional £40 for the Hepatitis B jab. The payment will come up as 'Knightsbridge Doctors' on your bank statement.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Melancholic Mage said:

It's nice you took note of that. I was anxious about my MH history more than anything. They did throw me some curveball questions but otherwise didn't question my responses. They accepted all paperwork which I was worried they would request further information. They still could since they mentioned if they needed anything else they would contact after 5 business days once results were back.

It was about as expected otherwise. I considered the tube briefly but for personal reasons and after recent events (riots) felt safer to walk. I was admittedly exhausted but felt the exercise was better than risking the horror stories you hear about the Underground.

Thank you. I noticed there's simply not enough information about the medical on here yet a lot of people ask questions about it. Thought I'd at least help even the information gap.

Did you have a urine sample?: No, I didn't have to give one. I believe that's for teenagers and under.

Did you take anyone with you?: I was flying solo, hence my heightened anxiety. (I have hyper-vigilance which doesn't help when it comes to situations like these.) It's also one of the reasons I decided to walk and avoid the tube. I was a recent victim of assault so admittedly that contributed towards my behaviour.

Can family members come into the building/accompany?: Yes they can. There was a few families there and at times the mother/father went in alone. Regarding children/teens, their parents appeared to be able to accompany them. If you're asking if someone who ISN'T part of the visa application can accompany, I don't believe so.

Is what they gave you left to be taken to the interview?: I honestly can't recall but I was going to take it to the interview regardless. I know they send the medical records to the embassy so I think it was mainly for my own records.

What was the total cost?: Overall it cost me £425. £385 for the medical and an additional £40 for the Hepatitis B jab. The payment will come up as 'Knightsbridge Doctors' on your bank statement.

Well it's good that it was all ok for you.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Tesco said:

what was the total cost?

I didn't have a urine sample and mine cost £475 in total. £385 for the medical and then £90 for the Tetanus Booster and first Hepatitis B dose

Just to note if anyone doesn't have the Tetanus booster, the NHS offer this for free. Talk to your GP to get your vaccination to save yourself £50 or so.

1 hour ago, Melancholic Mage said:

Thank you for the feedback to my questions. Your portrayal and in-depth explanation is superb, thanks again. 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Tesco said:

A few weeks away!

Nice. Not sure what time you are due in London on the day for the medical appointment but if you are a bit early then there are enough cafes, etc in the area in case you need to eat and drink as well.

10 hours ago, SL2024 said:

When is your interview?

My interview's 9/11. Irony.

9 hours ago, Tesco said:

Thank you for the feedback to my questions. Your portrayal and in-depth explanation is superb, thanks again. 

👌 

One thing I forgot to mention, during doctor's examination they had me read off an eye chart while covering each eye. They instruct you to bring glasses if you need them for anything - short/long sighted, reading etc. I wear glasses all the time so I was instructed to keep them on as I did the mini eye test. 

On 8/10/2024 at 11:32 AM, Melancholic Mage said:

Travel:

Reception:

Waiting Area:

X-Ray:

Doctor's Assessment:

Vaccination Nurse:

Final Result and Notes:

Just curious the x-ray results came out immediately and the doctor would already be able to assess them when you went to see him/her? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.