AaronHead

Self-Employed working while waiting for EAD on a K1 Visa?

2 posts in this topic

So i have a bit of a strange situation that i can't seem to find much information on, and wondered if folks might have some experience. 

I'm entering the US on a K1 Fiance Visa, my husband-to-be is a US born citizen and i'm moving from the UK. we've been through the whole process, i have my K1 visa stamped in my passport, and i have my packet for the border agents to asses upon entry. 

I've done a fair amount of research already, i know about the adjustment of status package and the employment authorisation document.

My work situation is this:
I am a self employed online content creator. my main source of income is from the website Patreon, and has been running for around 6 years now. i'm registered as self employed to the UK tax office, at a UK based address and i pay UK taxes. 

My question is, can i continue to operate my Patreon site throughout this process, or do i have to shut it down until i receive my EAD?

Some places have told me that i must not work while in the US, others state that i can work for the 90 days that the K1 visa is valid for, and others even say that while i cannot work while adjusting my status, there is no punishment for doing so and it won't affect the AOS

The nature of my work is simple, i upload videos to YouTube and follower choose to support on Patreon for a few exclusive benefits like access to a discord server or exclusive content. i could actually build a stockpile of content prior to my move, and have everything uploaded and scheduled to run automatically for the next few months so that i'm not actually performing any work while in the US, but again, this is a grey area. 

Any and all help on this matter would be appreciated. while we can obviously survive during this process, and my fiance is able to financially support us both, this kind of online presence takes a lot of consistency, and dropping it for anywhere between 1-6 months is a huge hit. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

All work done inside the US after entering the US via a K-1 requires either a valid EAD or Green Card. 

Note:  A person who enters via a K-1 is authorized to apply for an EAD.  It is unlikely you would receive an EAD within 90 days (the maximum validity of that EAD).

When applying for adjustment of status, you are also authorized to apply for an EAD via an I-765.

It is a violation of the terms of service for this web site to condone unauthorized work (or any illegal immigration activity) in any way.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.