JayFromTexas

Administrative Processing - Is there anything we can do

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
28 minutes ago, JayFromTexas said:

No.

I contend that asking for marriage certificates from our previous marriages is was not a normal thing. Yes, you can go to State.gov and it clearly shows it NOW, but it wasn't listed in the items required when I filed the I-130 (without help from an advisor and yes, I WAS a student of the process) and it wasn't in the list required at NVC. Divorce certificates were and we provided those.

My advisor says in the hundreds of cases she's handled they haven't been on the list of required documents and that this is a recent change. I don't know if that is the case or not, but that is what we told the consulate when they told us to submit the marriage certs. They agreed to process our case without them.

The other part of this to understand is the marriage certificates were ONLY requested for the CR2 case and were not required for the CR1 case. They told my wife that they could go ahead and interview her and then interview her daughter at a later time, once they had the marriage certificates. She said no and that they should accept both cases as submitted because we submitted everything they asked for, prior to showing up for the interview. They relented.

My wife is very persuasive. 🥲

Congratulations, I am glad your wait was not very long.

Good Luck with the rest of the journey!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

On 8/7/2024 at 9:27 PM, appleblossom said:

Personally I'd be taking this up with your advisor. "If you are or have been married, you must obtain original marriage certificate/s or certified copies of EVERY marriage".

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-5-collect-financial-evidence-and-other-supporting-documents/step-7-collect-civil-documents.html

Your divorce certificate IS the proof you were once married and are now divorced. Also the courts keep the marriage certificate when you're divorced...

Are you supposed to get a copy of any original marriage certificates too?? I have not heard this before?!? 

1 minute ago, WoodlandsFamily said:

Your divorce certificate IS the proof you were once married and are now divorced. Also the courts keep the marriage certificate when you're divorced...

Are you supposed to get a copy of any original marriage certificates too?? I have not heard this before?!? 

Copies of previous marriages now divorces I mean..

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, WoodlandsFamily said:

That is exactly what they wanted. We already provided divorce certificates from all previous marriages but they also wanted all previous marriage certificates.

And remember, this was for our CR2 case only. They didn’t require the marriage certificates for our CR1 case. 

42 minutes ago, JayFromTexas said:

That is exactly what they wanted. We already provided divorce certificates from all previous marriages but they also wanted all previous marriage certificates.

And remember, this was for our CR2 case only. They didn’t require the marriage certificates for our CR1 case. 

Good job I saw this. I didn't realise. I have ordered a copy of my 1st Marriage certificate just in case. I have 5 IR2 petitions pending at the moment. I've been married 20 years to my current spouse and father to my kids but they may still ask for the old one you never know. Thanks 👍 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I’m glad our experience could help someone. Marriage certificates from previous marriages were never on any list that I saw. And then it all changed and they are now on the lists. I think one of the reasons the consulate accepted our case without them was they knew the requirements had recently changed. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.