Melancholic Mage

Visa Medical and Mental Health

8 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I'm struggling with the Mental Health side of my visa medical requirements. It's difficult for me to talk about but I have a significant diagnosis, exasperated by a certain life events, which I'm currently seeing a therapist for and coming to a close of my treatment. I will detail on an additional sheet as per the instructions of the medical questionnaire provided, but does anyone know how much detail they are looking for exactly, and for how far back? I have a prolonged history in and out of psychiatric care, but nothing serious: no hospitalizations or records of harm to self/towards others of a serious nature. I'm also on zero medication.

Another problem I have is my diagnosis, verbally confirmed by three different therapists, is not written down in any official capacity on any documents I own. I've chased this up for years for employment reasons and because of the sensitivity of data protection and such they can't actually do it. It's beyond frustrating.

I asked my therapist for a summary of care record from a MH perspective, but they told me because of the nature of that information I would have to submit a SAR which would take months. I didn't think it would take as long as that and assumed it would be like my GP's summary of care record printed out within the same day. My medical is less than a week away. I saw some people online saying a supporting letter would be helpful, so I've asked my therapist for one instead. I'm waiting to hear back from that.

I just came back from my doctor's today to ask my GP for something similar regarding a small note of support, but they told me it would cost around £40 since it's something not covered by the NHS. Even though I just want a short note of support of my condition and my recovery/prognosis. Is this really needed? How strict is the medical?

I have my summary care record, vaccination list (which isn't updated with my required recent COVID vaccination but I do have an accompanying slip), medical questionnaire with my hand-written evidence sheet of support (would this be better typed up?), and, well, that's it.

I'm honestly having a nightmare with my oncoming Visa Medical and the requirements for it. To the point I'm honestly more nervous about the medical than I am about the actual embassy appointment. I was assaulted by a family member a few months ago and have a human bite down on my record too, which I worry may affect my bloodwork. That's just one complication. I have to travel to London alone to attend this appointment which is very difficult for me given my history and conditions let alone the distance I live away from the capital. I don't want to be told I need to come back with additional evidence.

Thank you for reading. Any advice, experience, or support would be highly appreciated.

We have the medical booked for later this month and can relate with some of what your concerns are. Firstly getting to London isn’t always the easiest and feel this is the hardest part of the whole process. Try and take a friend with you for moral support, failing that just try and relax and focus on organising the London trip and transport method. We have London Paddington train all booked for the medical with a nice walk, with ample time going and returning. Also think about your new life and focus on the positives and don’t worry (too much) on the days events.
we printed the SCR from Patient Access, (used App). Your record will have a section with documents and consultations. In there you will find all your mental health records, which you will need, (they will ask). If you don’t see any consultations notes ask your GP practice and they’ll add this, (make sure you log off/on for updates to be effective). I don’t think they will be concerned with the notes of non medical professionals, the words of CPN’s etc will hold weight.

finally, don’t leave too short of time. It’s better to twiddle your thumbs, then be in a rush. (Adding self generated anxiety)
good luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You say you have a significant diagnosis, but you also say it has only been verbally confirmed. Is it possible to get it put in writing?

What do you mean when you say you are coming to the end of a period of treatment? What happens afterwards? They like to see that problems are in the past or under control. Not ever been having hospitalised will show that you are less likely to be a public charge. Are you in long term employment? How will you take care of your medical needs and expenses once you are in the United States?

7 hours ago, Tesco said:

We have the medical booked for later this month and can relate with some of what your concerns are. Firstly getting to London isn’t always the easiest and feel this is the hardest part of the whole process. Try and take a friend with you for moral support, failing that just try and relax and focus on organising the London trip and transport method. We have London Paddington train all booked for the medical with a nice walk, with ample time going and returning. Also think about your new life and focus on the positives and don’t worry (too much) on the days events.
we printed the SCR from Patient Access, (used App). Your record will have a section with documents and consultations. In there you will find all your mental health records, which you will need, (they will ask). If you don’t see any consultations notes ask your GP practice and they’ll add this, (make sure you log off/on for updates to be effective). I don’t think they will be concerned with the notes of non medical professionals, the words of CPN’s etc will hold weight.

finally, don’t leave too short of time. It’s better to twiddle your thumbs, then be in a rush. (Adding self generated anxiety)
good luck!

I downloaded Patient Access but I don't see anything mental health wise in the documents or consultations area. I'm under a different part of the NHS regarding therapy and it looks like their notes and documentation are separate. I simply can't give what I can't get to the medical practitioner. Thanks for all the advice. A bit off topic, but the recent riots going in isn't exactly helping my unease. I'm used to doing things alone and have done since forever, but that's also why I feel the need to seek so much advice on this Forum. Just trying to be as prepared as possible.

1 minute ago, Lee Thacket said:

You say you have a significant diagnosis, but you also say it has only been verbally confirmed. Is it possible to get it put in writing?

What do you mean when you say you are coming to the end of a period of treatment? What happens afterwards? They like to see that problems are in the past or under control. Not ever been having hospitalised will show that you are less likely to be a public charge. Are you in long term employment? How will you take care of your medical needs and expenses once you are in the United States?

I have C-PTSD. I've asked for it in writing when I went on healthcare leave a year and a half ago so I could show this to my employer, but practically everyone refused to give me the diagnosis in writing. Therapists said doctors would do it, then doctors said therapists should do it, then another said doctors are wary to write MH issues as severe as mine down on fit notes because they're not qualified to do so/diagnose, blah blah... it was a merry-go-round of excuses spanning over months to nigh on half a year. To this day I don't understand why they can't just write it down.

I meant what I said. Therapy spans over so many sessions, then it just ends. You write your parting letter and the therapist does the same, then it's goodbye, so long, thrown back into the world and you're on your own to deal with conditions you never asked for. All put onto you from poor upbringing or forced upon you from the actions of others, trapping you in a prolonged environment of suffering which you have no control over.

I'm in long-term employment. As far as dealing with my medical needs in America, unless it's a physical ailment or severe mental health relapse, I simply won't. I am better able to manage my condition and have improved greatly. I just have let's say blips.

Timeline

It sounds like you are managing your condition well.  Going to therapy then stopping, then starting again is an experience lots of us can relate to.

You could try referring yourself privately to a consultant psychiatrist or clinical psychologist. Get your notes and have an person meeting. Then ask them to give an opinion. That would give you something concrete to take the visa medical.

What will your police report show any evidence mental health problems have brought you to the attention of the police?

Thank you. It's nice to hear that from a stranger even though you're just another user on the internet. I have other conditions but that's the biggest one I have. I'm also a suicide survivor which is noted on my GP records, so that will serve to explain my background somewhat. I won't bore others with details. Perhaps the fact I don't take medication will work in my favour.

I imagine a private healthcare meeting would take time and it's simply something I don't have. My medical is on August 8th. I also fly out to visit my partner soon a few days afterwards, so I'll be in the USA and won't have time or the ability to gather further evidence if asked. Bar forwarding emails of course.

The good news is I have a session with my therapist on the 7th, the day before, so I'm hoping I can convince them to give me at least something. Maybe even my personal end of therapy letter. I'm happy to refer them to my therapist in question or my MH coach if they need more details, but I can't give any kind of SAR or summary of care record. 

My ACRO shows no trace. I have no police record. My involvements with them most recently was regarding the assault I was victim of which I reported and gave a statement. Years ago, it was more of a reactionary nature to someone calling them to my home when I wouldn't answer my phone due to some 'duty of care' clause I missed. Scared the s*** out of me since I was, you know... sleeping. Either way, it's not noted anywhere on anything I can gain access to. I imagine if I jumped through the months of hoops to get a SAR from psychiatric services, it might be there, but it would be from nearly a decade ago or so.

Timeline

Okay. Just tell the doctor what you have told us here.

"Past trauma has led my therapist to suspect I have X condition, though I have never received a formal diagnosis. With the help of my therapist I manage my condition well. My current course of therapy has just come to a successful conclusion. I have never been hospitalised or been required to take medication. Through all these problems I have held down a demanding job."

Just to follow up on this, I had my therapist pull through and write out a letter regarding my condition as well as give me a diagnosis sheet.

This is NOT covered by the Patient Access app as my therapy is/was through psychiatric services. The details of my condition in depth are not held via the GP. I wrote out an accompanying sheet detailing my condition, diagnosis, prognosis, and followed this up with my therapist letter.

My GP tried to charge me £40 when I asked for just a quick paragraph explaining I wasn't at risk etc while my therapist drafted up my letter for free, and obviously this was done by the person who is actually medically qualified to provide such an informed opinion. I would advise others who follow after me to go through this with care. My GP could just be terrible, which they absolutely are, but they can't give details into in-depth mental health conditions.

If you had tablets for mild Depression or Anxiety then your GP summary should be enough. Otherwise, it's not.

See my latest thread for full details of medical: 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.