nikaM

Adjustment of status for spouse and stepchild

12 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, nikaM said:

Also how can I file all these firms together so that I only pay $950 for my stepchild paper work.

What do you mean?  The fees are the fees, you can't do some fancy filing trick to avoid them.

23 minutes ago, nikaM said:

The reason why I ask it's because as of Aptil 1st 2024 it says that filing fees for children under 14 years of age is $950...but once you file form I485 ut is $1440. I don't understand the fees.

The fees changed on April 1st.  If you don't send the correct fee, it will be rejected and returned.

Filed: Other Timeline

Thank I was basically asking what is the fees for my stepchild who is under 14 yeas of age for form I485?

Also what are the forms I need to file for my stepchild...and...what are the forms I need to file for my spouse for adjustment of status?

15 hours ago, nikaM said:

Thank I was basically asking what is the fees for my stepchild who is under 14 yeas of age for form I485?

Also what are the forms I need to file for my stepchild...and...what are the forms I need to file for my spouse for adjustment of status?

For your spouse: I-130, I-485 plus I-131 if your spouse would like to be able to leave the united state while the process is ongoing and I-765 if your spouse would like to work while the process is on going.

Your stepchild is under 14, so you file I-130 (same regular fee) and the I-485 which due to the mothers application is now 950 instead of the regular fee of 1440.

If this is something you're having difficulty with, I recommend studying the guides here on the site or talking to a lawyer who can help you file the correct forms with the corrects fees so you avoid mistakes that can greatly impact your family.

event.png

N-400 3 year marriage based (IOE)

Jan 22, 2024 - Submitted online 

Jan 22, 2024 - Biometrics waived

Mar 6, 2024 - Interview scheduled for Apr 11 COMBO I-751/N-400

Apr 11, 2024 - Combo interview - approved N-400

May 1, 2024 - Approved ROC, received 10 GC on May 20.

May 7, 2024 - Oath scheduled for June 14 (requested later ceremony at interview)

June 14, 2024 - Special Flag Day Oath ceremony - I'm a citizen!!!

Filed: Other Timeline
10 minutes ago, jackiegringa said:

For your spouse: I-130, I-485 plus I-131 if your spouse would like to be able to leave the united state while the process is ongoing and I-765 if your spouse would like to work while the process is on going.

Your stepchild is under 14, so you file I-130 (same regular fee) and the I-485 which due to the mothers application is now 950 instead of the regular fee of 1440.

If this is something you're having difficulty with, I recommend studying the guides here on the site or talking to a lawyer who can help you file the correct forms with the corrects fees so you avoid mistakes that can greatly impact your family.

Thank you for your response!!

Where can I find the guide on this site?

I am new here and not sure how to do.

1 hour ago, nikaM said:

They entered on a B2 visitor visa

Just checking, you're a US citizen? 

There's a guide for each form on the USCIS website, and always somebody that will be happy to help on the forums if there is anything you're not sure of. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.