BintyMohammed

I think I have been scammed. Please help!

25 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hello,

I will try to make this as brief and easy to understand as possible.  

I married my husband in Pakistan (his home country) in October 2018. 

He finally got approved for his visa and arrived here on June 19,2024. 

His cousin, who is American handled all of our documents, applications and fees. 

On Tuesday my husband took his things and left me. I do not know where he is exactly, he only says he is in Baltimore and will not be returning to me.  I am devastated.  

I have tried to call USCIS many times but I don't have our receipt number as his cousin refuses to give it to me and the call system will not connect me with anyone.  I want to report that he has left me with no intention to return and I will be filing for a divorce. 

Is anyone able to tell me how I can actually speak to someone? Please any help is appreciated.  

I apologize if I put this message in the wrong category.  Please go easy on me. 

Thanks in advance, 

Natalie 

Edited by BintyMohammed
Had to add information

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved to the Effects of Major Family Changes forum.

1 hour ago, BintyMohammed said:

On Tuesday my husband took his things and left me. I do not know where he is exactly, he only says he is in Baltimore and will not be returning to me.  I am devastated. 

This hurts.  Whatever you're feeling is valid and natural.  Things WILL get better (time heals).

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Whereas ICE might handle large scams involving groups or multiple individuals, the FDNS officer at your local USCIS office can deal with single cases.

Take copies of all information that you have.

Prepare a written statement, if possible, of what happened.  Be objective.

Turn in the papers to the FDNS officer.

Sadly, you'll never hear of an outcome.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
6 minutes ago, milimelo said:

VJ has the info below on each and every page: 

Important Disclaimer:..." VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423."

Unfortunately, even though you seem to be a victim of a very dishonest person, you'll still be tied to I-864 (for 10 years or until he naturalizes - earliest would be 5 years after entering on immigrant visa) even though your husband disappeared. You can try to get in touch with Islamabad embassy and USCIS but don't expect much.

Start getting your affairs in the order - divorce, take him off any medical, life, or car insurance if you had him listed as beneficiary. Same for bank accounts, retirement or 401k, savings... If you're renting, get his name removed as a tenant. If you co-signed anything for him, see how to get out of that financial obligation. 

Thank you for your advice. I don't have him listed on anything of mine other than health insurance and I will have that adjusted once I receive the final divorce papers.  

Timeline
18 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

Thread is moved to the Effects of Major Family Changes forum.

This hurts.  Whatever you're feeling is valid and natural.  Things WILL get better (time heals).

Thank you. This is a terrible feeling of betrayal.  I would not wish this on anyone.  

Timeline
2 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

Whereas ICE might handle large scams involving groups or multiple individuals, the FDNS officer at your local USCIS office can deal with single cases.

Take copies of all information that you have.

Prepare a written statement, if possible, of what happened.  Be objective.

Turn in the papers to the FDNS officer.

Sadly, you'll never hear of an outcome.

I cannot get an appointment without the receipt number. The online agent at uscis told me to seek legal advice. I asked a lawyer and he only said to report it to ICE. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline
2 hours ago, BintyMohammed said:

Hello,

I will try to make this as brief and easy to understand as possible.  

I married my husband in Pakistan (his home country) in October 2018. 

He finally got approved for his visa and arrived here on June 19,2024. 

His cousin, who is American handled all of our documents, applications and fees. 

I have tried to call USCIS many times but I don't have our receipt number as his cousin refuses to give it to me and the call system will not connect me with anyone.  I want to report that he has left me with no intention to return and I will be filing for a divorce. 

Is anyone able to tell me how I can actually speak to someone? Please any help is appreciated.  

I apologize if I put this message in the wrong category.  Please go easy on me. 

Thanks in advance, 

Natalie 

File for divorce immediately! When you report this I would make mention of the cousin as well, being it seems he was involved.  I am so sorry this has happened to you.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline
6 minutes ago, KMG said:

File for divorce immediately! When you report this I would make mention of the cousin as well, being it seems he was involved.  I am so sorry this has happened to you.

Also, I am wondering if you can get all your missing information (USCIS number) through FOIA.  https://www.foia.gov/.  You have a right to that receipt number because the I130 has your personal information on it, (SSN, etc.).  Please do report the cousin.

2 hours ago, KMG said:

Not sure what would be reportable here - they obviously consented to having the cousin prepare the documents, etc.   Maybe not a wise choice in retrospect, but not illegal.

3 hours ago, BintyMohammed said:

Thank you for your advice. I don't have him listed on anything of mine other than health insurance and I will have that adjusted once I receive the final divorce papers.  

You do not have to wait until you are divorced to remove him from an employer-based insurance plan.  I'd do it asap.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

What do you want to report?

He is responsible for notifying his change of address.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.