jackster

N-600 help - missing docs - critical or no? DESPERATE

5 posts in this topic

Quick background:

1. Born in Canada

2. Came to the US at age 3 in 1971

3. Got my permanent resident alien at age 10, 1978

4. Both parents naturalized 2 years later in may 1980.   I derived citizenship automatically at this point under the former Section 321 of the immigration nationality act which requires evidence of *both* parents naturalization.

5.  Parents later divorce when I was in my 20's ( I assume no impact since I naturalized while they were married and I was under 18 and legal )

My mother is deceased, so I FOIA'd her A-file.

It contains an original N-400 my parents filed to get a naturalization certificate for me - but they cancelled/voided it - and file has a note they would re-file later. They never did. So now im trying to file for myself.

The USCIS policy manual states: "The applicant must submit the following required documents UNLESS such documents are already contained in the USCIS administrative record or do not apply."

All required documentation for my application technical already exist in my fathers and mothers A-file.  USCIS should have instant access to both of their naturalization certificates, birth certificates, etc

I FOID'd my others A-file since she is deceased and got ahold of a lot of good documentation.

HOWEVER - im estranged from my father, he wont speak to me or help. I have no way to get his naturalization certificate or certificate of citizenship, passport, etc

I have the following documents

--------------

1. Fathers alien # and birth date
  2. Mothers alien # and birth date
  3. Mothers obituary
  4. Mothers Certificate of Naturalization
  5. My parents original N-400 application for a certificate of citizenship they submitted for me - and then suddenly VOIDED - stating they would do it later
  6. 1977 tax return of father w/ my mom listed at our home address
  7. Fathers application for my permanent resident status by my father (signed by mother + father)
  8. Petition to classify status of alien relative for issuance of immigrant visa ( for me)
  9. My foreign certificate of birth and baptism
  10. Parents marriage certificate w/ translation and letter
  11. Affidavit of support they filled out as part of my original N-400
  12. My foreign birth certificate

Should I submit with what I have?

Again  - The USCIS policy manual states: "The applicant must submit the following required documents UNLESS such documents are already contained in the USCIS administrative record or do not apply."

So will the USCIS simply check my parents file and VERIFY they are citizens and im good?

Or will my N-600 likely be rejected because I couldnt provide all critical info???

DOCS IM MISSING

---------------------

Fathers certificate of naturalization N-550

Fathers certificate of citizenship N-560

Fathers birth certificate

Mothers birth certificate

Marriage termination documents - certified divorce degree (which happened after I derived citizenship)

Im hoping I dont have to wait for my father to pass so I can FOIA the docs :(

1. You can obtain copy of both Canadian parents B/C by virtue of them being listed parents on your B/C

2. Your parents FOIA  should show N-600 filing and withdrawal for you ( not N-400). No matter , it’s a treasure for your supporting docs .

3. Draft a short cover letter , offer FOIA records in lieu of evidence of parents natz along with a Sworn Affidavit of Known Facts…what you recall about  your timeline in US and their life as US citizens , add dads total estrangement and cruel refusal to be of help ( or paint it as you wish ) , and ask USCIS to help by verifying USC status as you meet all other conditions.

4. Do not take for granted that because, doc copies exist in a FOIA , originals will not be required at interview. Just review the N-600 Ck list , file the app but continue your work to obtain any/all originals you can , most will be available w moms death cert 

https://www.ontario.ca/page/get-or-replace-ontario-birth-certificate

Posted (edited)

1. Thanks for the info.  However, my parents are not from Canada, but Greece.  Not sure I can get their birth certificates at this point.

2. If they request originals at the interview - because FOIA only gives copies - I have no idea how to get originals.  

3. Cant FOIA my father - he doesnt respond when a request is sent to him by the government.

4. May be able to FOIA my mothers birth cert - since she had to submit it as part of her naturalization process.

I feel like im at a dead end on a lot of these docs.

Edited by jackster

47 minutes ago, jackster said:

3. Cant FOIA my father - he doesnt respond when a request is sent to him by the government.

I don't believe a FOIA interacts with the subject, it is the government giving you what they have for a particular A number just like your mother. Since you have that info on your father you could also get his file and use it to help your case.

event.png

N-400 3 year marriage based (IOE)

Jan 22, 2024 - Submitted online 

Jan 22, 2024 - Biometrics waived

Mar 6, 2024 - Interview scheduled for Apr 11 COMBO I-751/N-400

Apr 11, 2024 - Combo interview - approved N-400

May 1, 2024 - Approved ROC, received 10 GC on May 20.

May 7, 2024 - Oath scheduled for June 14 (requested later ceremony at interview)

June 14, 2024 - Special Flag Day Oath ceremony - I'm a citizen!!!

15 minutes ago, jackiegringa said:

I don't believe a FOIA interacts with the subject, it is the government giving you what they have for a particular A number just like your mother. Since you have that info on your father you could also get his file and use it to help your case.

They actually do. I already tried this.  They make contact with the subject to get permission before releasing anything. 

If the subject is deceased, then it goes through without contacting the subject.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.