Chiemi

Need advice for I-864, living abroad, no income from US

21 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Hello VJ folks,

We have submitted I-130 in Oct2023 and been waiting for its approval.

While we are waiting, we are trying to prepare for I-864, but we feel stuck now...

Our background: The husband (USC) and the wife (beneficiary) are currently living in Japan, and he hasn't had income from US for the last three years.

We would love to move to US together, but we are having hard time finding a joint sponsor. Most likely we will end up not getting one.

So we are thinking what we can do without a joint sponsor. We don't have enough assets.

He has to start earning money from US somehow, but even if he could manage to find a job now, would it cause a significant delay in I-864 approval?

According to VJ estimation, we are hearing from USCIS sometime December this year.

If he somehow manage to earn enough money by then, would we be fine without a joint sponsor?

We need your insight on how to best solve this issue.

We appreciate your help.

Since you can't find a joint sponsor, your USC husband should head to the US and get a job while you wait for your visa interview. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline
1 hour ago, Chiemi said:

Hello VJ folks,

While we are waiting, we are trying to prepare for I-864, but we feel stuck now...

Our background: The husband (USC) and the wife (beneficiary) are currently living in Japan, and he hasn't had income from US for the last three years.

We would love to move to US together, but we are having hard time finding a joint sponsor. Most likely we will end up not getting one.

So we are thinking what we can do without a joint sponsor. We don't have enough assets.

He has to start earning money from US somehow, but even if he could manage to find a job now, would it cause a significant delay in I-864 approval?

According to VJ estimation, we are hearing from USCIS sometime December this year.

If he somehow manage to earn enough money by then, would we be fine without a joint sponsor?

We appreciate your help.

I am in similar situation, and posed a similar question on another thread I created.  I have asked one couple to be our joint sponsor, and my husband and I have a list of others we can ask also.  Understandably, this is deeply personal information, with a fear mongering contract attached, so I got the "we will think about it and let you know."  I am a teacher, so I need to leave by August of next year, after gaining a new contract in the US (I have been teaching internationally for 6 years now.

My plan is to hopefully gain a joint sponsor by the time we get to the NVC ( I am a December 23 filer), and eventually by the time my husband has his interview, I will have secured a new contract in the US during the prime hiring period of May/June. 

Can you do something online? Work for a US based company online?  I think by then you will have a enough paystubs to prove income AND take care of domicile issues at the same time.

Depending on the backlog in Japan, if you return to the US for a short time to get everything together you may not be separated from your wife for very long.

Timeline
13 hours ago, milimelo said:

Since you can't find a joint sponsor, your USC husband should head to the US and get a job while you wait for your visa interview. 

Thank you for your comment. We understand if that's the only way, we have to do whatever it takes.

Then, when he should move back to the US is the next question. We assume sooner is better. 

However, we are afraid that if his going back to the US alone would not change our situation of needing a joint sponsor, or he would end up living in the US alone for next one-three years to be a solo sponsor.

Timeline
11 hours ago, KMG said:

I am in similar situation, and posed a similar question on another thread I created.  I have asked one couple to be our joint sponsor, and my husband and I have a list of others we can ask also.  Understandably, this is deeply personal information, with a fear mongering contract attached, so I got the "we will think about it and let you know."  I am a teacher, so I need to leave by August of next year, after gaining a new contract in the US (I have been teaching internationally for 6 years now.

My plan is to hopefully gain a joint sponsor by the time we get to the NVC ( I am a December 23 filer), and eventually by the time my husband has his interview, I will have secured a new contract in the US during the prime hiring period of May/June. 

Can you do something online? Work for a US based company online?  I think by then you will have a enough paystubs to prove income AND take care of domicile issues at the same time.

Depending on the backlog in Japan, if you return to the US for a short time to get everything together you may not be separated from your wife for very long.

Thank you for sharing your situation, and we've checked your previous post which was really helpful.

He may be hired back to his old job and do consulting work online, but he will be paid a bare minimum. He can continue working for the same company when he goes back to the US.

We guess this is the direction we are going and meantime we continue looking for a joint sponsor.

Again thank you for your comment. It's always good to know we are not the only couple being in a situation like this.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

No interview will be scheduled until after NVC has an approvable affidavit of support.  If your husband is an employee, and his employer will transfer him to work in the USA, then a letter offering that job with the same company in the USA, will suffice.  If he is self employed, and the income will continue from the same source, that's fine too.  If neither, then the best solution without a joint sponsor, is for him to find a job in the USA as soon as possible, and go back to work there.

Separation is far more common in this process, than not.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

On 7/25/2024 at 9:49 AM, Chiemi said:

Hello VJ folks,

We appreciate your help.

Hey there,

I understand the situation you're in, and it's great that you're planning ahead for the I-864 process. Here are some things to consider based on your situation:

If finding a joint sponsor is proving difficult, you're right to explore other options. The key requirement for the I-864 is to show sufficient income or assets to support the beneficiary, which means you’ll need to focus on the alternatives.

The main issue is the income requirement. For a household of two, the 2023 poverty guideline is around $22,887. You’ll need to prove this income level through current earnings.

If your husband can find a US-based job now, that would certainly help. It’s essential to show that he has stable, ongoing income. Even a remote job with a US company can count, as long as it’s steady and meets the income threshold.

If he starts earning enough money before you hear back from USCIS (estimated around December), it could strengthen your I-864 application. You’ll need to provide proof of this income, such as pay stubs or an employment letter. The timing might be tight, but it’s definitely worth a shot.

If securing a job isn’t feasible immediately, you could look into other assets. Although you mentioned not having enough assets, sometimes showing partial assets can help supplement income, depending on their value and the amount needed.

Start looking for US-based employment opportunities as soon as possible (would be my recommendation). Highlight his willingness to start immediately and his current location in the application process.

Gather any and all documentation that can support the financial aspect, including bank statements, pay stubs, and letters from potential employers.

It’s definitely challenging, but not impossible. If your husband can secure US-based income soon, you could potentially meet the I-864 requirements without a joint sponsor. Stay proactive in the job search and gather as much supporting documentation as possible to strengthen your case.

Best of luck, and feel free to ask if you have more questions!

Timeline
11 hours ago, pushbrk said:

No interview will be scheduled until after NVC has an approvable affidavit of support.  If your husband is an employee, and his employer will transfer him to work in the USA, then a letter offering that job with the same company in the USA, will suffice.  If he is self employed, and the income will continue from the same source, that's fine too.  If neither, then the best solution without a joint sponsor, is for him to find a job in the USA as soon as possible, and go back to work there.

Separation is far more common in this process, than not.

Thank you for your comments.

He is going to be an employee. We make sure that we get the letter from the company.

7 hours ago, ChristopherMullin said:

Hey there,

I understand the situation you're in, and it's great that you're planning ahead for the I-864 process. Here are some things to consider based on your situation:

If finding a joint sponsor is proving difficult, you're right to explore other options. The key requirement for the I-864 is to show sufficient income or assets to support the beneficiary, which means you’ll need to focus on the alternatives.

The main issue is the income requirement. For a household of two, the 2023 poverty guideline is around $22,887. You’ll need to prove this income level through current earnings.

If your husband can find a US-based job now, that would certainly help. It’s essential to show that he has stable, ongoing income. Even a remote job with a US company can count, as long as it’s steady and meets the income threshold.

If he starts earning enough money before you hear back from USCIS (estimated around December), it could strengthen your I-864 application. You’ll need to provide proof of this income, such as pay stubs or an employment letter. The timing might be tight, but it’s definitely worth a shot.

If securing a job isn’t feasible immediately, you could look into other assets. Although you mentioned not having enough assets, sometimes showing partial assets can help supplement income, depending on their value and the amount needed.

Start looking for US-based employment opportunities as soon as possible (would be my recommendation). Highlight his willingness to start immediately and his current location in the application process.

Gather any and all documentation that can support the financial aspect, including bank statements, pay stubs, and letters from potential employers.

It’s definitely challenging, but not impossible. If your husband can secure US-based income soon, you could potentially meet the I-864 requirements without a joint sponsor. Stay proactive in the job search and gather as much supporting documentation as possible to strengthen your case.

Best of luck, and feel free to ask if you have more questions!

Thank you for your kind suggestion.

One question: Do we go with the 2023 poverty guideline or the 2024 one? Does it depend on which year we submitted I-130?

If it's the 2023 one, it would be little bit easier for us to reach the number because the 2024 one is $25,550.

We try hard to get him a job from the US.

Thank you all again for taking the time to respond to us!!

Timeline

The poverty guideline that applies is the one current on the date of the interview.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Chiemi said:

So it's going to be the 2024 guideline or maybe the 2025 one?

Depends on the date of the interview.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

8 hours ago, Chiemi said:

Thank you for your comments.

He is going to be an employee. We make sure that we get the letter from the company.

Thank you for your kind suggestion.

One question: Do we go with the 2023 poverty guideline or the 2024 one? Does it depend on which year we submitted I-130?

If it's the 2023 one, it would be little bit easier for us to reach the number because the 2024 one is $25,550.

We try hard to get him a job from the US.

Thank you all again for taking the time to respond to us!!

Hi Chiemi

I'm glad you found the suggestions helpful!

To answer your question, you'll need to use the poverty guidelines for the year in which your I-864 is submitted, not the year you submitted your I-130. Since you're likely to submit your I-864 in 2024, you'll have to use the 2024 poverty guidelines, which are indeed $25,550 for a household of two.

It’s great that you're actively working on getting him a US-based job. Every bit of effort helps in strengthening your case. If you can secure that income and provide the necessary documentation, you'll be in a good position to meet the requirements.

Keep pushing forward, and feel free to reach out if you have more questions or need further assistance.

Best of luck!

Timeline
6 hours ago, ChristopherMullin said:

Hi Chiemi

I'm glad you found the suggestions helpful!

To answer your question, you'll need to use the poverty guidelines for the year in which your I-864 is submitted, not the year you submitted your I-130. Since you're likely to submit your I-864 in 2024, you'll have to use the 2024 poverty guidelines, which are indeed $25,550 for a household of two.

It’s great that you're actively working on getting him a US-based job. Every bit of effort helps in strengthening your case. If you can secure that income and provide the necessary documentation, you'll be in a good position to meet the requirements.

Keep pushing forward, and feel free to reach out if you have more questions or need further assistance.

Best of luck!

NVC will use the guidelines in effect when they have the case.  The Consular Officer will use the ones current on the interview date.  Those may or may not be the same, but in this case they will most likely be different.  Either way, if you meet one and not the other, that's too close for comfort.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.