JeanAb

I got here in the states when I was 17 (still a minor) and my father is already a U.S citizen

21 posts in this topic

I got here in the states when I was 17 (still a minor) and my father is already a U.S citizen. I tried to apply for american passport last 2016 and I received a letter if I obtain my certificate of citizenship or if not I submit the following instruction such as a combination of school, tax, medical, or court documents that I am in my father’s physical and legally custody after I entered here in the states and before my 18th birthday. And second early public records issued at or near the time of my birth which shows my name and my parents name such as hospital, religious, medical or insurance records. Because the birth document I sent them was recorded more than one month after the birth occured. And if the early documents are unavailable, I may submit a DNA testing conducted by AABB testing facility.

So my question is, I am applying again for american passport since my green card is expiring next year’ and I am not applying for a certificate of citizenship since they said I can use my father’s citizenship as a proof. And I found a document alongside with my birth certificate are the affidavit of paternity or the document about my late registration of birth with both of my parent’s signature. 

Is that enough proof that I am my father’s child? because when my mom gave birth to me my dad was here in the states and they got married a year after my birth. I also have legal documents such as affidavit of legitimation. 

Can I submit the documents I have here like my Dad’s Citizenship, my birth certificate with the documents of affidavit, and my green card?

is that enough proof for me to get an american passport? 

Thank you, and hopefully I get a reply from you soon. 

4 minutes ago, JeanAb said:

So my question is, I am applying again for american passport since my green card is expiring next year’ and I am not applying for a certificate of citizenship since they said I can use my father’s citizenship as a proof. And I found a document alongside with my birth certificate are the affidavit of paternity or the document about my late registration of birth with both of my parent’s signature. 

Is that enough proof that I am my father’s child?

I'd pay the money and obtain certificate of citizenship once and for all. So you don't end up in this situation again in the future.

3 minutes ago, OldUser said:

I'd pay the money and obtain certificate of citizenship once and for all. So you don't end up in this situation again in the future.

but can I still the do the other option right? the only reason I didn’t get my passport before is because the birth certificate I submitted was late registered and I didn’t get the chance to submit the other documents included in my birth cert.

And the thing is if I apply for a certificate of citizenship (which they said I don’t need to) I don’t have the documents they needed for that.

That’s why I am asking if I can still submit the documents I have here with me. And also getting a certificate of citizenship is too expensive.

My sister already got her american passport when we applied together. They didn’t even ask for cert. of citizenship.

Thank you :)

4 minutes ago, JeanAb said:

And the thing is if I apply for a certificate of citizenship (which they said I don’t need to) I don’t have the documents they needed for that.

How do you expect to get a passport if you don't have enough proof you're a US citizen for N-600?

Even if you get passport now with some luck, you may face same or harder pushback in the future when you try to renew passport. You need to look into root problem, maybe hire a lawyer to help etc.

Edited by OldUser

5 minutes ago, OldUser said:

How do you expect to get a passport if you don't have enough proof you're a US citizen for N-600?

Even if you get passport now with some luck, you may face same or harder pushback in the future when you try to renew passport. You need to look into root problem, maybe hire a lawyer to help etc.

I will keep this in mind. Thank you :)

32 minutes ago, JeanAb said:

I got here in the states when I was 17 (still a minor) and my father is already a U.S citizen. I tried to apply for american passport last 2016 and I received a letter if I obtain my certificate of citizenship or if not I submit the following instruction such as a combination of school, tax, medical, or court documents that I am in my father’s physical and legally custody after I entered here in the states and before my 18th birthday. And second early public records issued at or near the time of my birth which shows my name and my parents name such as hospital, religious, medical or insurance records. Because the birth document I sent them was recorded more than one month after the birth occured. And if the early documents are unavailable, I may submit a DNA testing conducted by AABB testing facility.

Is that enough proof that I am my father’s child? because when my mom gave birth to me my dad was here in the states and they got married a year after my birth. I also have legal documents such as affidavit of legitimation. 

Can I submit the documents I have here like my Dad’s Citizenship, my birth certificate with the documents of affidavit, and my green card?

5 minutes ago, JeanAb said:

I will keep this in mind. Thank you :)

33 minutes ago, JeanAb said:

* And oh my father became a U.S citizen after he passed his interview year 2013 and we got here in the states year 2015 (i was 17 that time)

😊🙏🏻

25 minutes ago, JeanAb said:

* And oh my father became a U.S citizen after he passed his interview year 2013 and we got here in the states year 2015 (i was 17 that time)

😊🙏🏻

It doesn't seem you're a US citizen.

You needed to live with your father in his full custody at the time he naturalized...

Seems like you're an LPR and need to file N-400.

Edited by OldUser

54 minutes ago, OldUser said:

You needed to live with your father in his full custody at the time he naturalized...

really? eventho I’m part of Act 2000 as what the immigration lawyer said last week when I talked to him. I am asking again here because i didn’t get back to Lawyer Armando after that talk because I still need to aak for more option (and less pay actually 😭

58 minutes ago, OldUser said:

also my sister and I are the same when we got here…we’re both outside the states when my dad got his citizenship’ we’re also both green card holder and when my sister and I applied a passport they got our green card. And were both minors when we got here. Just like what I’ve said the only problem is my late registration of birth cert. not unlike my sister her birth cert. were all correct that’s why she got her american passport for 5 years and she renewed her passport last 2022 for 10 years.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes you are a USC as you entered as a minor with the proper visa for permanent residency. Now that you have all the documentation apply for the passport. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
4 hours ago, JeanAb said:

😊🙏🏻

I'm guessing because when your father received his citizenship you were not yet in the country so technically you're not entitled to automatic citizenship. The time it took you with all this back and forth you could have applied and received your citizenship by now, apply online takes less than 6 months. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
5 hours ago, JeanAb said:

but can I still the do the other option right? the only reason I didn’t get my passport before is because the birth certificate I submitted was late registered and I didn’t get the chance to submit the other documents included in my birth cert.

That’s why I am asking if I can still submit the documents I have here with me. And also getting a certificate of citizenship is too expensive.

My sister already got her american passport when we applied together. They didn’t even ask for cert. of citizenship.

Thank you :)

A passport is only $100 plus. Apply. send all the documents you can and write a letter with explanation.

9 hours ago, brenshaw said:

I'm guessing because when your father received his citizenship you were not yet in the country so technically you're not entitled to automatic citizenship. The time it took you with all this back and forth you could have applied and received your citizenship by now, apply online takes less than 6 months. 

That's what I also thought, but I'm not an expert in this area.

12 hours ago, JeanAb said:

really? eventho I’m part of Act 2000 as what the immigration lawyer said last week when I talked to him. I am asking again here because i didn’t get back to Lawyer Armando after that talk because I still need to aak for more option (and less pay actually 😭

15 minutes ago, OldUser said:

That's what I also thought, but I'm not an expert in this area.

The OP is a USC since birth, his parent was a USC at birth and had to meet  conditions , not the embryo 😂.

His previous attempt at passport failed because he didn’t have additional evidence to overcome delayed registration of birth certificate.

You can DIY another passport application and are now well versed in what is needed. ..and will get a chance to supplement in case you don’t cover all bases at submission.

https://www.ilrc.org/sites/default/files/2024-04/Chart A - Determining Whether Children Born Outside the U.S. Acquired Citizenship at Birth (Updated Feb. 26 2024).pdf

Born on/after
11/14/86

One citizen, one
alien parent
Citizen had been physically present26 in U.S. or its
outlying possessions 5 years, at least 2 of which were
after age 14.27

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
55 minutes ago, Family said:

The OP is a USC since birth, his parent was a USC at birth and had to meet  conditions , not the embryo 😂.

His previous attempt at passport failed because he didn’t have additional evidence to overcome delayed registration of birth certificate.

You can DIY another passport application and are now well versed in what is needed. ..and will get a chance to supplement in case you don’t cover all bases at submission.

https://www.ilrc.org/sites/default/files/2024-04/Chart A - Determining Whether Children Born Outside the U.S. Acquired Citizenship at Birth (Updated Feb. 26 2024).pdf

Born on/after
11/14/86

One citizen, one
alien parent
Citizen had been physically present26 in U.S. or its
outlying possessions 5 years, at least 2 of which were
after age 14.27

I am confused. How's op a citizen since birth? Op was born in 1998. Father naturalized in 2013. My understanding is op presumably was petitioned by father as LPR and upon landing in the US in 2016 became a USC because they were in the physical and legal custody of the father. Op tried to obtain a US passport but DOS came back asking for proof of father's legal and physical custody of op. She never responded to that? I think that needs to be sorted out. @JeanAb, is my understanding correct?

If my understanding is correct then proving you are the child of your father is not an issue since it seams you have solid evidence of that. I think the issue is proof that your father had legal and physical of you when you entered US as LPR before you turned 18. 

Edited by nastra30

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.