thonati

Medical Insurance for K1 Fiance

40 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
12 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

Edited to add:  What's the precise name of the policy?

I will have to look that up again.  However, it is though United Health Care's PPO network.  My Doctor participates so if/when we get married, I will add her to my BCBS Insurance and she keeps the same Doctor, just different policy.

UHC also has travel insurance for USC traveling abroad that is much cheaper than the policies you buy from the airlines or their affiliates.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 minutes ago, thonati said:

There is no "out of status" once married and past the 90 days. 

That is inaccurate.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
17 minutes ago, thonati said:

So with your logic, if she did not file I-485 within 90 days, she is out of status and must leave the US immediately?

Correct.  Marriage confers no immigration rights or rights to remain in the US.  Only after a married K-1 entrant submits a proper I-485 will he/she be granted "authorized stay" until the I-485 is adjudicated. "Authorized Stay" is not a legal status.  The person remains out of status, but does not accrue unlawful presence.  

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
20 minutes ago, thonati said:

However, I am sure there is a maximum time (2 years perhaps).

That is inaccurate.

Timeline
28 minutes ago, thonati said:

There is no requirement to apply for the AOS within 90 days.

Only if the K-1 entrant is OK with the risk of being detained and deported.

Timeline
20 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

That is inaccurate.  

Please provide evidence where the foreigner must leave the country if the I-485 is not filed before the 90th day?  I have the I-485 from USCIS in front of me and it CLEARLY states the marriage must be completed before the 90 days.  No where does it state the I-485 MUST be completed, submitted and received by the 90th day.  It does not say that anywhere on the form.

Again, the logic of some people on this board is bizarre.  For example, let's say the couple gets married within the 90 days.  The couple lives in a remote area of the US where Postal Service is sketchy.  It could take a few days to get the mail to the USPS, then the USPS takes a few days to get it to the Distribution center and into the network.  The IRS will accept mail that is postmarked as the "submission" date.  I cannot find this on the I-485 form where the USPS postmark is accepted as the submission date. 

Let's say this couple uses UPS or FedEx and the package gets re-routed and a few days are lost.  Are you saying if the USCIS does not recieve the I-485 form by mid-night of the 90th day the fiance is required to leave the country the very next day?  Do you see the error in your logic?  Again, no where is this stated on the I-485 form.  I will be happy to buy a beer for anyone that finds it.  I will even pay in bitcoin.

Timeline
19 minutes ago, thonati said:

Please provide evidence where the foreigner must leave the country if the I-485 is not filed before the 90th day? 

All non-immigrant entrants must leave before the I-94 expires.

Edited by Crazy Cat

Timeline
1 hour ago, thonati said:

Are you saying if the USCIS does not recieve the I-485 form by mid-night of the 90th day the fiance is required to leave the country the very next day?

I am saying the person, married or not, is out of status after their I-94 expires.  In the case of a K-1 entrant, it is 90 days after entry via the K-1.

Edited by Crazy Cat

Timeline

**One comment violating the Terms of Service removed***

***Continued use of abusive language WILL result in administrative action****

---Make comments in a Post either direct or implied toward another member that are purposely designed to upset, antagonize, make fun of, belittle, harass, insult, or otherwise instigate an argument that takes away from the personal enjoyment of the Service by other users.

Edited by Crazy Cat

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Good luck to you, OP. This will be my last post in this thread, because clearly you do not want advice or assistance from the people here. 😅

Your fiancé will be out of status after 90 days of entry with her K1 visa, if AOS isn't filed (and she won't have proof of her legal status without the I-485 receipt). I suppose it's up to you if you want to take a risk that's completely unnecessary by filing after 90 days. 

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

I am saying the person, married or not, is out of status after their I-94 expires.  In the case os a K-1 entrant, it is 90 days after entry via the K-1.

Did you not read the reference you sited?  It states:  "Once you marry, you are treated as an immediate relative"

Timeline
1 hour ago, thonati said:

"Once you marry, you are treated as an immediate relative"

That, alone, confers no immigration rights or right to remain in the US.  My reference was to the thread in which the OP related her experience as a married K-1 entrant who was detained....not her misconceptions.

Edited by Crazy Cat

Timeline
15 minutes ago, thonati said:

Did you not read the reference you sited?  It states:  "Once you marry, you are treated as an immediate relative"

Perhaps you did not get the message from the OP of that thread I linked.  She entered via a K-1, married, but did NOT submit an I-485 within 90 days.  She was detained for 5 weeks due to being out of status.

Edited by Crazy Cat

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.