thonati

Medical Insurance for K1 Fiance

40 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I searched but did not find a post to my specific question.

What insurance does everyone recommend for my K1 fiance while she is in the US but before we are married?  I do not plan to marry her until she experiences a few months of cold weather (Michigan).  She is from Philippines and has NEVER experienced snow/cold.  She claims she will be fine but I want to see her perform a snow angel, build a snowman and perhaps a few white washes and snowball fights before I am confident she will not bail on me.

I need to get her coverage for the entire 90 days.  Does travel insurance have good coverage?  I am not sure if Obamacare is available for short term until she gets on my insurance.

Timeline
37 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

So you’re not planning to marry her within the 90 days given? You signed statements stating that you will marry within 90 days of the arrival in the US.

Where did I say I would not be married during the 90 days?  I did not say that.  The requirement is very clear regarding the 90 days.

46 minutes ago, thonati said:

while she is in the US but before we are married?

47 minutes ago, thonati said:

I need to get her coverage for the entire 90 days.  

49 minutes ago, thonati said:

do not plan to marry her until she experiences a few months of cold weather

These statements led me to believe that.

To answer your question, no she won’t be eligible for ACA (aka Obamacare) on a temporary basis. This is what I had when I first came but we were already married and I had to show a bunch of stuff showing I’m eligible and it was a long term insurance; it also took several weeks to kick in.

Travel insurance doesn’t usually have good coverage (only emergencies) and from what I’ve been reading over the years here, K1s aren’t eligible because they’re not visiting, they actually relocate here to take up residence.

Waiting to marry (and consequently delaying filing AOS) puts a K1 holder in a vulnerable position, including both from an immigration perspective and the health insurance aspect. I never recommend waiting, especially if it’s to test your partner to see if they’ll bail because it’s too cold.

Ugh as far as I know there isn’t really a good option. It is a very niche marketplace and small set of consumers. Granted I haven’t researched it in a couple years.

Obamacare is out. Travel insurance is lighting money on fire. 

Back in 2021 I bought some short term coverage through Loomis but honestly I am extremely glad I never tried to use it because who knows if it would’ve paid. 

Short answer is the best way to get health insurance is to get married. If you decide to wait on getting married then that is up to you, but you at least know the risk you are taking (not to mention longer to get green card/papers etc etc)

Good luck! 

Timeline
3 hours ago, P055UM said:

Ugh as far as I know there isn’t really a good option. It is a very niche marketplace and small set of consumers. Granted I haven’t researched it in a couple years.

Obamacare is out. Travel insurance is lighting money on fire. 

Back in 2021 I bought some short term coverage through Loomis but honestly I am extremely glad I never tried to use it because who knows if it would’ve paid. 

Short answer is the best way to get health insurance is to get married. If you decide to wait on getting married then that is up to you, but you at least know the risk you are taking (not to mention longer to get green card/papers etc etc)

Good luck! 

Thanks for the quick reply.  We could delay her arrival and keep her in Philippines until we can get married but that seems too agonizing to me.  I guess I will leave it up to her.

Come to think of it, my health insurance covers domestic partners too.  I will have to check into that and find out what the requirements are for someone becoming a "domestic partner".

Timeline

UPDATE:  United Healthcare has an insurance policy for exactly what I am looking for.  It is targeted for K1 Visa holders.  It is active on arrival date, only covers while she is in the US, good for 90 days or marriage whatever comes first.  It has variable maximum coverage starting at $50,000, $250 deductible, $30 co-pay for urgent care.  $250 deductible for emergency room visits, waived if admitted.  PPO so have to use in-network Doctors which my doctor participates.   Premium is only $250 for the entire 90 day policy.

This is exactly what I am looking for.  You can buy the insurance ahead of time and when the arrival date gets closer, you can activate it to start on a specific date.  Then the 90 day clock starts. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
12 minutes ago, thonati said:

United Healthcare has an insurance policy for exactly what I am looking for.

Somebody at UHC was on the ball regarding a truly niche market!  Really helpful of you to post this.  :) 

Edited to add:  What's the precise name of the policy?

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
17 hours ago, thonati said:

I need to get her coverage for the entire 90 days.

A better option, imo, is to marry asap after she enters, and start her medical coverage under a spouse plan.  I don't think a K-1 was ever meant to be a "try before you buy" visa. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
30 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

A better option, imo, is to marry asap after she enters, and start her medical coverage under a spouse plan.  I don't think a K-1 was ever meant to be a "try before you buy" visa. 

I 100% disagree.  If that were the case, the visa would only be good for 15 or 30 days.  There is a reason that the duration is 90 days.   That logic does not make any sense.  Whatever the reason, K1 visa has 90 days to get married...period. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, thonati said:

Whatever the reason, K1 visa has 90 days to get married...period.

I have never seen a letter of intent with the words "I might marry within 90 days".  Anyway, I hope you find a good insurance plan to fit your needs.  That is a question which comes up often.  There really is very little good information regarding temporary coverage outside travel insurance.  Please post the particulars to that policy.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

2 hours ago, thonati said:

I 100% disagree.  If that were the case, the visa would only be good for 15 or 30 days.  There is a reason that the duration is 90 days.   That logic does not make any sense.  Whatever the reason, K1 visa has 90 days to get married...period. 

The length of time for a K1 whether it is 15, 30, or 90 days is given, I would assume so that the couple that get affairs in order or even plan a wedding. Still, such visas are not a try before buying visas, as you write a letter of intent swearing to the fact that you WILL marry. That of course doesn't mean that things happen and you don't end up marrying... but it is strange to me that people are not intending to marry that aren't serious or committed to their relationships and hinge it on whether they like winter weather or not. It is a big thing to ask someone to upend their entire lives and move to a different country with them - thoughts of winter weather should be rather irrelevant.  For any relationship one should be marrying for love and commitment.

Marrying later can create issues for the long term, in regards to getting an SSN and obtaining healthcare, getting a DL/ID, and getting in line for AOS/EAD. Marrying sooner protects the immigrant and enables the process to go smoothly. But I would never recommend marrying or even doing a K1 process, if both parties are not sure to begin with. Immigration is hard. Marriage is hard.

11 hours ago, thonati said:

UPDATE:  United Healthcare has an insurance policy for exactly what I am looking for.  It is targeted for K1 Visa holders.  It is active on arrival date, only covers while she is in the US, good for 90 days or marriage whatever comes first.  It has variable maximum coverage starting at $50,000, $250 deductible, $30 co-pay for urgent care.  $250 deductible for emergency room visits, waived if admitted.  PPO so have to use in-network Doctors which my doctor participates.   Premium is only $250 for the entire 90 day policy.

This is exactly what I am looking for.  You can buy the insurance ahead of time and when the arrival date gets closer, you can activate it to start on a specific date.  Then the 90 day clock starts. 

The insurance you're referencing and that do exist though I'm not familiar with a said UH plan, is a type of ''temporary immigrant insurance" these are not ACA (Obamacare compliant) and you will find coverage dubious at best. Still, some like the ''peace of mind". What is the actual name/type of plan?

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline
Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

Still, such visas are not a try before buying visas, as you write a letter of intent swearing to the fact that you WILL marry. That of course doesn't mean that things happen and you don't end up marrying... but it is strange to me that people are not intending to marry that aren't serious or committed to their relationships and hinge it on whether they like winter weather or not. It is a big thing to ask someone to upend their entire lives and move to a different country with them - thoughts of winter weather should be rather irrelevant.  For any relationship one should be marrying for love and commitment.

The logic on this board is certainly below average.  In my experience closed minded people have a rough time in life even though they do not realize it. The Letter of Intent is just that INTENT based on the facts and circumstances today.  With your simple logic, why didn't the US Congress add into 8 US Code 1201 REQUIRING marriage before you leave the airport?  Marriage on the date of arrival? Congress did not require this and allows for 90 days to get married.

I signed the Letter of Intent to marry my fiance within 90 days.  No question, that is my goal.  However, many circumstances change during that 90 days.  Even on this board, I have read horror stories about K1 marriages.  I remember one where the fiance arrived, cleared CBP, jumped in a car and left the airport.  She later texted her USC fiance saying "they denied me" then went dark.

So I am keeping my options open.  I do not have a crystal ball, I do not know of any wormhole in the space/time fabric, nor do I read minds. <DELETED> , I am always prepared for the unexpected.  What if my fiance ditches me upon arrival?  What if I find out my fiance lied to me and has 25 children?, what if my fiance is an axe murderer that was not caught in the police clearance?, what if my fiance is a horrible drug addicted prostitute?    With your logic, I would still be required to marry her because I signed the letter of intent?  You probably should take some Logic Classes at your local community college, hell I will even send you a link to my on-line logic class.  If you are a veteran, over 65 or disabled, it is free.

I teach all my students to keep an open mind about everything.  In the Logic 101 Class that I teach, I require my students to be nimble, collect as much data as possible before a decision is made.  Once a decision is made, always have options.  Never let others force you into a situation where you are not comfortable, just walk away. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

Timeline

**One comment edited to remove text intended to bypass language filters.  Please post in accordance with the Terms of Service***

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

It would be advisable to get married on a date that leaves plenty of time to gather docs and file AOS before the 90 days are up. She will be out of status if she files AOS after that point, which is never recommended.

For instance, if you marry around day 60, that gives you 2 months to "see her perform a snow angel" and leave plenty of time to file AOS.

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.