hplusj

DS-3025: "Give Copy to Applicant", is this compulsory?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

Hey all,

This is a very short notice question but I'm hoping to get an answer in the next few hours before my fiance heads to his medical review.

We're looking ahead at him being stateside and filing the AOS paperwork, and I'm getting confused about if the DS-3025 is actually required with the applications for 485/765/131 or not.  Reading over the pinned topic, I'm still at a loss.  Based on conversations I've had with other K1 applicants from South Africa, specifically the Cape Town panel physician appointments, no DS-3025 is being provided.  It just seems to be an office letterhead shortform record, notarized by the office with a stamp.  

I'm wondering what the purpose of this record is, if the DS-3025 according to the CDC website is meant to be his permanent vaccination record.  It's not official, or doesn't appear to be.  So what happens if he gets this document instead?  Will we have trouble filing the AOS, or receive an RFE?  The pinned topic from what I gather says the paperwork sent in the sealed packet from the POE includes the 693, which is preferable when filing because it's unlikely to be tampered with.

So, if that's the case, do we just let the packet ride and trust the 693 to cover all bases?  Or do we ask the office for a 3025/contact the consulate on Johannesburg to provide a copy to them?  Thanks in advance.

Our K-1 Journey

7 Aug 2023: I-129F petition mailed.

9 Aug 2023: NOA1, arrives approx. a week after mailing with this issuance date.

1 Mar 2024: NOA2 (v 1.0) issued.  Time between NOAs, 205 days (6 months 23 days).  NOA2 exp date 30 Jun 2024.

8 Mar 2024: NVC received case.

1 Apr 2024: after one inquiry, NVC provided case #.

8 May 2024: NOA2 (v 2.0) issued.  Same USCIS #, same case #, new exp date of 7 Sep 2024.

May-June 2024: many inquiries sent to NVC as well as the embassy, as we see other K1s with later NOA2s are sent to Johannesburg before us.  Involved senators to investigate, refused to assist without expedite request.  Emailed the White House, end of June 2024.

2 Jul 2024: case leaves the NVC for Johannesburg.  Total wait time at NVC, 123 days (4 months 1 day).

5 Jul 2024: consulate in Johannesburg receives case.

8 Jul 2024: Packets 3 & 4 received, medical and visa appointments scheduled.

23 Jul 2024: medical appointment with Dr. Brauer (Cape Town).

8 Aug 2024: visa interview with CO in Johannesburg, 16 days after medical.  Visa not issued because medical packet wasn't filed yet.  Passport and birth certificate kept by CO.  Total time from NOA1 to interview/approval, 365 days (exactly 1 year).

13 Aug 2024: email to consulate due to CEAC still displaying "Application Received" status, instead of the predicted "Refused" or "Administrative Processing".

14 Aug 2024: consulate reply, they are currently processing visa.  CEAC status changes to "Approved" (no refused or AP statuses prior).

15 Aug 2024: CEAC case status changed to "Issued"

20 Aug 2024: K1 visa in hand!

While it is only RECOMMENDED to submit a PHOTOCOPY of the DS3025 with I485, Panel Physician's are REQUIRED to provide a personal copy of the DS3025 to the patient. 

The CDC states so.

I've remedied, in several cases, to provide a link and quote the website to your PP via email or letter and remind them that you are eligible to file a complaint directly to the CDC for PPs that are not following the procedure for their patients. 

Link to follow.

31 minutes ago, hplusj said:

Will we have trouble filing the AOS, or receive an RFE

No. Not for that reason. 

The pinned topic from what I gather says the paperwork sent in the sealed packet from the POE includes the 693,

I693 is not for K1s who complete their medical abroad. I693s are completed in the US. K1 packet includes DS3025.

which is preferable when filing because it's unlikely to be tampered with.

So, if that's the case, do we just let the packet ride and trust the 693 to cover all bases? 

No.

Or do we ask the office for a 3025/contact the consulate on Johannesburg to provide a copy to them?  Thanks in advance.

No. You ask the PP directly. 

@hplusj Ask the physician for a copy of the DS-3025, even if you have to pay extra for a copy. When we did the I-693 medical, we provided the copy to the US Civil Surgeon, which she used to determine what else is needed.

There is no rule that you have to have a copy of DS-3025, but it certainly doesn't hurt to have a copy included in the I-485 and in our case for the I-693 medical later on.

Edited by EatBulaga

Timeline
11 minutes ago, EatBulaga said:

@hplusj Ask the physician for a copy of the DS-3025, even if you have to pay extra for a copy. When we did the I-693 medical, we provided the copy to the US Civil Surgeon, which she used to determine what else is needed.

There is no rule that you have to have a copy of DS-3025, but it certainly doesn't hurt to have a copy included in the I-485 and in our case for the I-693 medical later on.

Thanks for the information guys.  I will have him inquire of the PP, and I also sent an email to Johannesburg just asking them to supply the PP with copies, since that seems to be where they originate.

You say "for the I-693 medical later on".  This is where I get stumped.  If his medical is completed in Cape Town, along with a DS-3025 which is marked completed, what other medical is needed stateside for the AOS?  Isn't the packet valid for a year so it can be used for the AOS?

Our K-1 Journey

1 Mar 2024: NOA2 (v 1.0) issued.  Time between NOAs, 205 days (6 months 23 days).  NOA2 exp date 30 Jun 2024.

8 May 2024: NOA2 (v 2.0) issued.  Same USCIS #, same case #, new exp date of 7 Sep 2024.

May-June 2024: many inquiries sent to NVC as well as the embassy, as we see other K1s with later NOA2s are sent to Johannesburg before us.  Involved senators to investigate, refused to assist without expedite request.  Emailed the White House, end of June 2024.

2 Jul 2024: case leaves the NVC for Johannesburg.  Total wait time at NVC, 123 days (4 months 1 day).

8 Aug 2024: visa interview with CO in Johannesburg, 16 days after medical.  Visa not issued because medical packet wasn't filed yet.  Passport and birth certificate kept by CO.  Total time from NOA1 to interview/approval, 365 days (exactly 1 year).

13 Aug 2024: email to consulate due to CEAC still displaying "Application Received" status, instead of the predicted "Refused" or "Administrative Processing".

14 Aug 2024: consulate reply, they are currently processing visa.  CEAC status changes to "Approved" (no refused or AP statuses prior).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
37 minutes ago, hplusj said:

Thanks for the information guys.  I will have him inquire of the PP, and I also sent an email to Johannesburg just asking them to supply the PP with copies, since that seems to be where they originate.

You say "for the I-693 medical later on".  This is where I get stumped.  If his medical is completed in Cape Town, along with a DS-3025 which is marked completed, what other medical is needed stateside for the AOS?  Isn't the packet valid for a year so it can be used for the AOS?

The I-693 is only needed for those who adjust from within the US, OR those who didn't fully complete their medical abroad. For instance, as a K-1 applicant, you don't need to finish all the vaccines abroad in order to get the visa - but they are required for the AOS once in the US. So if the vaccine requirement was not met abroad, then you will have to do the vaccinations inside the US and that's why the i-693 is needed. 

In some cases, USCIS have even asked the AOS applicant for an i-693 even if the medical was fully completed abroad if the IO feels that there has been too much time in between that medical and the AOS review/interview (or if they have somehow misplaced the abroad medical report). So instead of arguing with USCIS and their sometimes wrongful decisions, it has been easier for the applicant to simply have another medical within the US for the AOS, hence the i-693.

Definitely send a copy of the DS-3025 with the AOS package, just in case. I don't know the procedure in South Africa, but in my home country there have been several people forgetting to ask for the DS-3025 at the medical, so they just asked for a copy from the embassy instead and that was sent to them with the visa packet and passport. I personally asked the doctor for the ENTIRE medical report (i'd say it's my right to get my own medical journals), so I got the entire report, not just the vaccination work sheet. 

Edited by Scandi

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

• 1 month later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
On 7/23/2024 at 12:23 AM, Scandi said:

I personally asked the doctor for the ENTIRE medical report (i'd say it's my right to get my own medical journals), so I got the entire report, not just the vaccination work sheet. 

Interesting. I requested the full medical as well, as I paid for it and it should be mine, but I was told they were only allowed to provide me with my (incomplete) DS-3025.

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Nous Eb said:

Interesting. I requested the full medical as well, as I paid for it and it should be mine, but I was told they were only allowed to provide me with my (incomplete) DS-3025.

That's ridiculous, surely you have the right to know the results of every single test that was made. It's your medical records. Maybe they just didn't want the extra work of making copies of the entire thing and ship it. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Scandi said:

That's ridiculous, surely you have the right to know the results of every single test that was made. It's your medical records. Maybe they just didn't want the extra work of making copies of the entire thing and ship it. 

They didn't even have to ship it, I asked for a scanned copy.

Timeline
On 7/22/2024 at 11:23 PM, Scandi said:

The I-693 is only needed for those who adjust from within the US, OR those who didn't fully complete their medical abroad. For instance, as a K-1 applicant, you don't need to finish all the vaccines abroad in order to get the visa - but they are required for the AOS once in the US. So if the vaccine requirement was not met abroad, then you will have to do the vaccinations inside the US and that's why the i-693 is needed. 

In some cases, USCIS have even asked the AOS applicant for an i-693 even if the medical was fully completed abroad if the IO feels that there has been too much time in between that medical and the AOS review/interview (or if they have somehow misplaced the abroad medical report). So instead of arguing with USCIS and their sometimes wrongful decisions, it has been easier for the applicant to simply have another medical within the US for the AOS, hence the i-693.

Definitely send a copy of the DS-3025 with the AOS package, just in case. I don't know the procedure in South Africa, but in my home country there have been several people forgetting to ask for the DS-3025 at the medical, so they just asked for a copy from the embassy instead and that was sent to them with the visa packet and passport. I personally asked the doctor for the ENTIRE medical report (i'd say it's my right to get my own medical journals), so I got the entire report, not just the vaccination work sheet. 

Hey all, just an update:

The PP did provide him with a DS-2035 without issue.  I don't think the other K1 couples we spoke to, actually knew what we were talking about.  But we got it.

His vaccination record is marked voluntarily completed on question 2, page 2 but we do have vaccinations on the record which are classified as D, not available in country, the main one being the COVID booster

Is this something we will have to locate and complete in the states, or because of question 2's answer do the D classifications get waived?  Trying to figure that part out, if we're supposed to fulfill the Ds prior to filing AOS paperwork or if they'll make a RFE as part of the procedure.

Thank you!

Our K-1 Journey

Timeline
9 hours ago, hplusj said:

Hey all, just an update:

The PP did provide him with a DS-2035 without issue.  I don't think the other K1 couples we spoke to, actually knew what we were talking about.  But we got it.

His vaccination record is marked voluntarily completed on question 2, page 2 but we do have vaccinations on the record which are classified as D, not available in country, the main one being the COVID booster

Is this something we will have to locate and complete in the states, or because of question 2's answer do the D classifications get waived?  Trying to figure that part out, if we're supposed to fulfill the Ds prior to filing AOS paperwork or if they'll make a RFE as part of the procedure.

Thank you!

I don't know tbh, as my vaccination work sheet only had As on it. Just send a copy of the DS-3025 when you file for AOS, and if they want more then they'll contact you with an RFE.

On 8/28/2024 at 1:37 AM, hplusj said:

Hey all, just an update:

Thank you!

If the DS-3025 is marked as completed, and correctly filled out, then you should not have to repeat anything for AOS. If COVID vaccines weren't available in the country and you get a "Blanket Waiver D", you are in the clear.

A blanket waiver basically means "This person has a reason to not have started or finished this series of shots at the time of medical. We trust in good faith that they will finish any shots they need in the US, if they can, but it is up to them".

Rest assured that if you still get an RFE for medical, it is most likely due to one of the following three reasons:

1. Your DS-3025 wasn't correctly filled in (some shots or blanket waivers were missing, despite the entire DS-3025 being marked as "completed").
    • This can happen, because panel physicians make mistakes and are sometimes not up-to-date with all the instructions and addendums.
    • This means you get an RFE for the vaccine portion of i-693 only.
  2. The adjucating officer wasn't aware that you had a medical completed abroad and is under the assumption you were obligated to complete an i-693 as well.
    • Mind you that this reason is why it is recommended to attach DS-3025 and a statement to your AOS package, because it'll give the adjucating officer a subtle reminder that a medical exam has been performed abroad.
    • If this happens, you will likely be asked to do an entire new medical exam, instead of just the vaccine portion.
  3. Another way to have to repeat an entire medical for AOS, is if your medical forms file didn't make it to USCIS. This can happen, because your medical is inside the package you hand over to CBP at entry, and they send it to USCIS. This can go wrong in multiple ways:
    • CBP didn't ask for the package and you didn't hand it
    • CBP didn't send the package to USCIS
    • The package was sent to USCIS but was lost in the mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.