vikrots

Global entry denied, can my wife have problems with CBP?

18 posts in this topic

In December 2023 I applied for Global Entry for my wife, she is a GC holder

I filled the application and we forgot about that.... yesterday the application got denied. 

We regret to inform you that your membership in Global Entry has been disapproved for the following reason(s):You do not meet program eligibility requirements due to prior Customs or Agriculture violation(s).

My wife came to the US in 2019 with a student visa, but once we applied for the GC, she quit school. So I believe she "overstayed" her visa for 2-3 months.

When I applied for her Global Entry I totally forgot about that overstay ( I don't even remember if they asked that on the application ). Is it worth it to try to appeal?

My biggest concern now, however, is that next week she is going to visit her family in Brazil for 2 months, is she gonna have any problem coming back because of this Global Entry denial or accused of lying to CBP? again, I did not mention the overstay during the application because I totally forgot about that ( that never came in my mind ),

but now Im afraid she is gonna have problems reentering the country because of my mistake.

what do you guys think?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Could be a trip to secondary in the future, but as an LPR she should be ok.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Was there an I-485 lodged when she quit school? 

"Customs or Agriculture.."  doesn't sound like overstay to me.

Edited by Skyman

26 minutes ago, Skyman said:

I believe was something like that :

she quits school in May...but we mail AOS package ( GC marriage ) only like 2 months later ( I believe those 2 months was considered overstay )

she never had any type of problems with customs, like never, no crimes, no driving tickets, nothing...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
33 minutes ago, Skyman said:

It is actually

"Have been found in violation of any customs, immigration or agriculture regulations or laws in any country;"

Eligibility for Global Entry | U.S. Customs and Border Protection (cbp.gov)

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, Crazy Cat said:

It is actually "

• Have been found in violation of any customs, immigration or agriculture regulations or laws in any country;"

Eligibility for Global Entry | U.S. Customs and Border Protection (cbp.gov)

Ok, OP didn't say immigration.   

6 minutes ago, vikrots said:

I believe was something like that :

she quits school in May...but we mail AOS package ( GC marriage ) only like 2 months later ( I believe those 2 months was considered overstay )

she never had any type of problems with customs, like never, no crimes, no driving tickets, nothing...

Yeah, I think you should have put in the I-485 before she left school.

Timeline

I have read that an F1 student who quits school (except admitted as D/S) has 10 days in which to leave the US. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, vikrots said:

Is it worth it to try to appeal?

I see no basis for appeal. 

8 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

I see no basis for appeal. 

15 minutes ago, Skyman said:

Ok, OP didn't say immigration.   

Yeah, I think you should have put in the I-485 before she left school.

thank you for the information, they did not mention "immigration" 

We regret to inform you that your membership in Global Entry has been disapproved for the following reason(s):

Other
You do not meet program eligibility requirements due to prior Customs or Agriculture violation(s).

If you believe the decision was based upon inaccurate or incomplete information, you may be eligible to request reconsideration through the Trusted Traveler Program application website: https://ttp.dhs.gov/.

my question is : is she gonna have problem with CBP reentering the US because of that Global entry denied? or be accused of lying on application? she has this upcoming trip and now im afraid she is gonna get in trouble. should I contact CBP and say it was my mistake filling the forms?  ( she is a GC holder )

Timeline
Just now, vikrots said:

is she gonna have problem with CBP reentering the US because of that Global entry denied?

I think @Dashinka is correct.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Won't be a problem for LPR.

Global entry approval can be ridiculously strict.  My wife and I were denied Global Entry because my wife, who had already become a citizen, had tried to buy a watch on ebay and it turned out it was an unapproved knock off being sent from China or somewhere in that area.  She didn't know until we received a letter from customs in Anchorage.  We refused delivery and thought that was the end of it.  A couple of years later we applied for the Global Entry and at the interview I was asked about buying a watch from China.  I replied that I had not (I rarely wear a watch) and was asked the same question a second time.  That is when I remembered the issue with my wife.  We explained the problem, but since we were accused of importing unapproved items we were denied.

I have found, at least for us, our returns from numerous international trips were quick and no problem even without Global entry.  We just went with TSA precheck alone for that benefit getting through security.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Dogs can't take MRI's but Cat scan.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Neonred said:

Won't be a problem for LPR.

Global entry approval can be ridiculously strict.  My wife and I were denied Global Entry because my wife, who had already become a citizen, had tried to buy a watch on ebay and it turned out it was an unapproved knock off being sent from China or somewhere in that area.  She didn't know until we received a letter from customs in Anchorage.  We refused delivery and thought that was the end of it.  A couple of years later we applied for the Global Entry and at the interview I was asked about buying a watch from China.  I replied that I had not (I rarely wear a watch) and was asked the same question a second time.  That is when I remembered the issue with my wife.  We explained the problem, but since we were accused of importing unapproved items we were denied.

I have found, at least for us, our returns from numerous international trips were quick and no problem even without Global entry.  We just went with TSA precheck alone for that benefit getting through security.

oh wow, that remind of something that happened to us too, maybe that could also be the same problem

in 2021 or 2022 I believe, my wifes parents sent her a package with medicaments from overseas, like they did for years, but this time, it was confiscated in Miami.

We never received any letter, but her parents overseas received one letter saying that the package was confiscated!

maybe that could also be our case, because they did not mention "immigration" on the reasons for denial...

but on the other way, I never tought that package was a big deal, I just remenber that now after reading your comment

Edited by vikrots
typo

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

There is no penalty for the appeal, except for a small fee.  I would appeal it and explain the circumstances.  The worst that can happen is they say no again.  Just be honest and no sugar coating anything.  I suspect, as others have pointed out, you will get denied again.  Global Entry is a bear to get approved.

Timeline
14 minutes ago, thonati said:

I would appeal it and explain the circumstances.

On what circumstances would you base an appeal?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.