T83

Translations after many years of Non-UK residence.

10 posts in this topic

My US wife and I, from the UK, have lived our entire 11 relationship in China. We still do. We she filed for the IR-1 late last year and we anticipate the response early 2025. We don't anticipate any problems, having lived together for 11 years, been married for going-on 5 at that point, with a US marriage certificate and a ton of proof. 

However, we will leave China and become nomadic-bum-homeless people for several months while take an extended holiday awaiting the decision and hopefully an interview date in London. We've requested London, and won't have the right to be in China at that time any more.

Now I'll need my criminal record check from China and as that will be in Chinese, it'll need to be translated. If my interview was in China, I'd get it translated at the US embassy recommended place here But it isn't. So I have 2 questions:

1) How recent does the criminal check have to be. If I get it now, ready for an expected interview next year, is that ok?

2) Where/ how should I get it translated? Does it need to be translated? Is that better to do here, or in London, for a London interview?

Thanks a lot for any thoughts.

2 hours ago, T83 said:

My US wife and I, from the UK, have lived our entire 11 relationship in China. We still do. We she filed for the IR-1 late last year and we anticipate the response early 2025. We don't anticipate any problems, having lived together for 11 years, been married for going-on 5 at that point, with a US marriage certificate and a ton of proof. 

However, we will leave China and become nomadic-bum-homeless people for several months while take an extended holiday awaiting the decision and hopefully an interview date in London. We've requested London, and won't have the right to be in China at that time any more.

Now I'll need my criminal record check from China and as that will be in Chinese, it'll need to be translated. If my interview was in China, I'd get it translated at the US embassy recommended place here But it isn't. So I have 2 questions:

1) How recent does the criminal check have to be. If I get it now, ready for an expected interview next year, is that ok?

2) Where/ how should I get it translated? Does it need to be translated? Is that better to do here, or in London, for a London interview?

Thanks a lot for any thoughts.

If you were interviewing in China, translations would not be required. ..but for London , they will be needed. 
Get the certificates and translation as one document directly from the source , thus China .

You can certainly prep the extensive list of documents they require and even arrange an authorization for a friend or hired service to get them done when timing is right ,  since you will be a globe trotter! Nice plan, have a beautiful time. 

Not worth doing it now or guessing time frame , unless you want to do a dry run and are ok w redoing them again. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/China.html

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visa-faqs/visa-processing-and-documents/#:~:text=With the exception of the,of birth or current residence.

Thank you for the reply and those links.

I found the criminal record length of validity on that site a bit tough to understand, to be honest.

Does it say that if we get the criminal record check, it is valid indefinitely unless we return to live here for 6 months or more?

Or does it imply it's only valid for 12 months?

(I read it as UK ones are only valid for 12 months from issuance, but other countries you no longer live in are valid indefinitely. If you live there or return there however, they are likely only valid 12 months.)

Ideally in the coming 3 or 4 months before we leave I'll get it done and translated here then we leave and have nothing else to be gotten from China.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I’m sure you’ve probably already done this but make sure you read and become intimately familiar with all the instructions specific to the embassy where you will be interviewing. For example my wife is Burmese living and interviewing in Thailand. The Thai Royal Police provide their certificate in English which is nice because no translation is needed. Her Myanmar police certificate required translation and notary. If the police certificate is in Chinese it will need translation and notary which I also suggest doing whilst in China. 

It is my understanding that police certificates are valid for 2 years as long as you don’t return to the issuing country in which case you then need to obtain an updated certificate. 

I'll definitely get the criminal record check translated here then, and notarized. And then if I need to do that gain in London, so be it. This is what the US embassy website says on their UK site about validity, which unless I'm crazy could be worded a lot, lot better:

With the exception of the U.K. police certificate which is considered valid for 12 months from the date of issuance, a police certificate is valid indefinitely, provided you do not return to the country and reside for six months or more, if it’s your country of birth or current residence. The period is twelve months for any other country.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
12 hours ago, T83 said:

I'll definitely get the criminal record check translated here then, and notarized. And then if I need to do that gain in London, so be it. This is what the US embassy website says on their UK site about validity, which unless I'm crazy could be worded a lot, lot better:

With the exception of the U.K. police certificate which is considered valid for 12 months from the date of issuance, a police certificate is valid indefinitely, provided you do not return to the country and reside for six months or more, if it’s your country of birth or current residence. The period is twelve months for any other country.

The Police report for China must be from the Gong Zheng Chu, which is a government Notarial Office.  This is true no matter where you interview.  An earlier statement about translation not being needed if interviewing in China, is incorrect, even though not applicable to you.  Expect your case to be initially assigned to Guangzhou, not matter what you requested, but once at National Visa Center you can have it transferred to London.  Instructions here.  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/China.html

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
14 hours ago, Family said:

If you were interviewing in China, translations would not be required. ..but for London , they will be needed. 
Get the certificates and translation as one document directly from the source , thus China .

You can certainly prep the extensive list of documents they require and even arrange an authorization for a friend or hired service to get them done when timing is right ,  since you will be a globe trotter! Nice plan, have a beautiful time. 

Not worth doing it now or guessing time frame , unless you want to do a dry run and are ok w redoing them again. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/China.html

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visa-faqs/visa-processing-and-documents/#:~:text=With the exception of the,of birth or current residence.

All good except the bold above.  China is an exception to all the USCIS translation guidance.  All Chinese documents must be translated at all levels, an must be from the government Notarial Office.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Thanks a lot for all the advice.

Can you explain why my  case will be sent to Guangzhou and not London?

Are cases always assigned to your last place of residence, no matter whether you live there now or not? I won't live in China beyond the autumn, and won't get notice of interview until at least the spring if not later next year, with an interview no earlier than the summer.

Timeline
1 hour ago, T83 said:

Thanks a lot for all the advice.

Can you explain why my  case will be sent to Guangzhou and not London?

Are cases always assigned to your last place of residence, no matter whether you live there now or not? I won't live in China beyond the autumn, and won't get notice of interview until at least the spring if not later next year, with an interview no earlier than the summer.

Yes, to bold above.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.