BrianEva24

K1/K2. Lost & confused. Seeking help/clarification/guidance

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi all. I'm new here & decided to create an account to seek help/guidance.

I've Googled a few things before that I was trying to research. A few times, I've come across this website, & have read topics/responses. Honestly, I've seen conflicting responses, of which confused me on what I need to do that I am trying to figure out for my case in general.

I filed my fiance's I-129F in Oct 2022. They received it on 11 Oct, & texted me on 14 Oct, stating it was received & the official I-797C would arrive by mail. I did receive a I-797, but no letter corresponded after 797 (no C). Idk if that even matters or not, cus I've seen things about an (A) & (C)....

Anyway, they had requested additional information later on, which prolonged the process. The I-129F was approved 3 Jan 2024. Her interview was scheduled for 19 Mar, & she scheduled her medical exam first week of March. During the medical, they required a sputum test, which we were not aware of, nor knew what that even was or entailed. 3 day process. We also didn't know that it would be an 8 week waiting period thereafter for results. we weren't happy about this either. When she was cleared finally, & rescheduled her medical to finish receiving her vaccines, & rescheduled her interview. Yay!

Now, my fiance' has 3 sons....26, 20, 18. We thought, in all of the research we had done, that any child over 18 was not eligible for us to file for them as well. It was during her interview, that she was made aware by the interview officer, that the 20 & 18 year old were eligible, because the age limitation was 21. Had we known, I would've filed for both, or whoever wanted to come as well. So, there's a mistake.

In some of my research on what are the next steps after marriage, & reading topics/responses, did I learn about filing for her SSN. Some responses were conflicting. Some said you should've filed before you married, while others stated to file using her current last name of which matched all of the immigration paperwork. We made an appt. at SSA & filed for her SSN. The guy there stated it's easier to file under the name which she had, that is on all of the immigration paperwork, because it's easier to change her SS card later after receiving her Green Card with her new married name, than it is to change all of the immigration paperwork to her new married name. The SSC came in the mail, but is printed above her SSN, VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION. Am I still able to claim her on my taxes with this SSN when I file next year?? Will this SSN become a permanent number for her eventually?

My fiance' arrived here in the U.S. 25 Jun 2024, & we married on 7 Jul 2024.

Since my fiance'/wife is here now, we need to file the I-485. This form I found out cannot be filed online. Paper only. We also printed out the I-765. I see that if you file it separately, the I-765 is $520, but if you file it with the I-485, it's only $260. So, when I file these together in the same packet, do I write one check for the total amount? Or should I write 2 separate checks & note for each form?

When I file this I-485, do I need to send an I-130 or an I-131 with it?? I'm confused on this as well.

In the I-765 form, question 27...Eligibility Category. I need help. When I looked up Who May File Form I-765, I saw no category for a K1 visa. Therefore, I don't know what to write in the 3 square blocks provided.

UPDATE: When I researched supporting documents to send with the I-765 on USCIS website, & scrolled way down, I saw K-1 Nonimmigrant Fiance' of a U.S. Citizen (a)(6). I'm guessing that's what I need to write in the 2 blocks??

And finally, down to the K2. Her youngest will come, but not the middle. In my research, this topic is also VERY confusing. And with my understanding, since my fiance's/wife's petition was approved 3 Jan 24, we have until Jan 2025 to file for her son under the 1 year rule?? So I am scrambling to make sense of these things & what I need to do, quickly. In my reading in topics/responses, again, I'm seeing conflicting information. With 5.5 months left on the deadline to file, I can't afford or risk a screw up cus I did something wrong. So can I get some help & guidance, please? I've read about needing to file a DS-160 for him. Then I'm reading no, file a I-130 & I-131, & later on I would need to file a DS-260?? I'm soooo confused. Please help me. Thank you.

And with the required documents for both the I-485 & I-765, do I send 1 copy for both together, or a copy for each form packet?

If anyone here lives in Pasco, Hernando, Pinellas, Citrus, northern Hillsborough Counties, I'd be open to meeting up for hands on assistance in making sure all my T's are crossed & I's dotted. Thank you in advance to everyone.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, BrianEva24 said:

Hi all. I'm new here & decided to create an account to seek help/guidance.

I've Googled a few things before that I was trying to research. A few times, I've come across this website, & have read topics/responses. Honestly, I've seen conflicting responses, of which confused me on what I need to do that I am trying to figure out for my case in general.

I filed my fiance's I-129F in Oct 2022. They received it on 11 Oct, & texted me on 14 Oct, stating it was received & the official I-797C would arrive by mail. I did receive a I-797, but no letter corresponded after 797 (no C). Idk if that even matters or not, cus I've seen things about an (A) & (C)....

Anyway, they had requested additional information later on, which prolonged the process. The I-129F was approved 3 Jan 2024. Her interview was scheduled for 19 Mar, & she scheduled her medical exam first week of March. During the medical, they required a sputum test, which we were not aware of, nor knew what that even was or entailed. 3 day process. We also didn't know that it would be an 8 week waiting period thereafter for results. we weren't happy about this either. When she was cleared finally, & rescheduled her medical to finish receiving her vaccines, & rescheduled her interview. Yay!

Now, my fiance' has 3 sons....26, 20, 18. We thought, in all of the research we had done, that any child over 18 was not eligible for us to file for them as well. It was during her interview, that she was made aware by the interview officer, that the 20 & 18 year old were eligible, because the age limitation was 21. Had we known, I would've filed for both, or whoever wanted to come as well. So, there's a mistake.

In some of my research on what are the next steps after marriage, & reading topics/responses, did I learn about filing for her SSN. Some responses were conflicting. Some said you should've filed before you married, while others stated to file using her current last name of which matched all of the immigration paperwork. We made an appt. at SSA & filed for her SSN. The guy there stated it's easier to file under the name which she had, that is on all of the immigration paperwork, because it's easier to change her SS card later after receiving her Green Card with her new married name, than it is to change all of the immigration paperwork to her new married name. The SSC came in the mail, but is printed above her SSN, VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION. Am I still able to claim her on my taxes with this SSN when I file next year?? Will this SSN become a permanent number for her eventually?

Since my fiance'/wife is here now, we need to file the I-485. This form I found out cannot be filed online. Paper only. We also printed out the I-765. I see that if you file it separately, the I-765 is $520, but if you file it with the I-485, it's only $260. So, when I file these together in the same packet, do I write one check for the total amount? Or should I write 2 separate checks & note for each form? I would write a check for each one separately as they are separate entities. 

When I file this I-485, do I need to send an I-130 or an I-131 with it?? I'm confused on this as well.  No.  You married within 90 days, so no I-130 is needed.

In the I-765 form, question 27...Eligibility Category. I need help. When I looked up Who May File Form I-765, I saw no category for a K1 visa. Therefore, I don't know what to write in the 3 square blocks provided. 

UPDATE: When I researched supporting documents to send with the I-765 on USCIS website, & scrolled way down, I saw K-1 Nonimmigrant Fiance' of a U.S. Citizen (a)(6). I'm guessing that's what I need to write in the 2 blocks??

And finally, down to the K2. Her youngest will come, but not the middle. In my research, this topic is also VERY confusing. And with my understanding, since my fiance's/wife's petition was approved 3 Jan 24, we have until Jan 2025 to file for her son under the 1 year rule?? So I am scrambling to make sense of these things & what I need to do, quickly. In my reading in topics/responses, again, I'm seeing conflicting information. With 5.5 months left on the deadline to file, I can't afford or risk a screw up cus I did something wrong. So can I get some help & guidance, please? I've read about needing to file a DS-160 for him. Then I'm reading no, file a I-130 & I-131, & later on I would need to file a DS-260?? I'm soooo confused. Please help me. Thank you.

And with the required documents for both the I-485 & I-765, do I send 1 copy for both together, or a copy for each form packet?  Treat each form as a separate entity

If anyone here lives in Pasco, Hernando, Pinellas, Citrus, northern Hillsborough Counties, I'd be open to meeting up for hands on assistance in making sure all my T's are crossed & I's dotted. Thank you in advance to everyone.

See above for some of info you want.  I'm not an expert in K2 visas.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Yes, you can claim her on your taxes with SSN when you file next year, or Married Filing Jointed.

Yes, the SSN is permanent for her.

Did your spouse do a name change on the marriage certificate?

If yes, then she can go back to the SSC now before the I-94 "Admit Until Date" to update the name change.

The "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION" can be removed after the I-485 approval by going back to the SSC to update with the green card.

Edited by EatBulaga

Eligibility Category for Part 2, Item 27 is 

( ) (c) (9)

Pending Adjustment of Status under Section 245 of the Act

https://www.uscis.gov/eadautoextend

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/all-forms/optional-checklist-for-form-i-765-c9-filings

Edited by EatBulaga

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Thread moved to Adjustment of Status K1/K3 P&P, from K1 Progress Reports- As the OP is asking multiple questions but most are for the AOS process.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/20/2024 at 1:16 PM, BrianEva24 said:

Yes, it should be  (a)(6) 

Screenshot 2024-08-06 083436.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.