Alison74

USCIS interview Separation Agreement or Divorce Decree required

3 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I received an interview notice from USCIS for the n 600 k interview (citizenship for children of US grandparents). I am separated from the children's father but not yet divorced. One of the requirements states to bring a "Divorce Decree or Separation Agreement including custody agreement" to the interview. I have already submitted the custody agreement to the USCIS however it is not mandatory in my home country to have a separation agreement after the parents' separating. Is it maybe sufficient to create a document approved by a (non-US) lawyer? How much detail does it need to contain regarding our circumstances? I also have submitted proof of residence to show that I live at the same address as my children. Is anyone familiar with this particular topic? Your advice is greatly appreciated.

If you have a formal custody agreement, that shows you have physical custody , then you are well prepared. 
‘Your idea to create a Separation Agreement document by local attorney is very good. Make sure your husband signs it. 

Detail only the relevant issues : date of separation, reference the custody document and children’s primary caregiver ( you), list financial obligations of each party as it relates to joint debts , plans for disposition/division of joint assets.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.