magicant

Cambodia Visitor Visa for US Citizens

11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Greetings.  My wife is from Cambodia.  Last year she became a US citizen.

She will be visiting Cambodia this year for just under a month.  I assume because she will be using her US passport to travel, that she will need to get a Cambodia Visitor Visa (like I had to when I had visited her in Cambodia).

I see that you can only get them for 30 days, and if longer is required you have to extend them in Cambodia.

She will be just under 30 days so should be fine, but I was wondering if, since she still has a valid Cambodia Passport, can she use that when in Cambodia instead of requiring a Visa so she doesn’t have to worry about possibly extending the visa?

I don’t like it being very close and don’t want her to have any issues.

Otherwise does anyone have experience in extending the visa while in Cambodia and what is required?

Thank you very much.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

If she is a dual citizen, why can't she just enter Cambodia with her Cambodian passport?  That what many, if not most, dual citizens do.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

I assume she is a dual citizen, although I don't know for sure how Cambodia is regarding after you become a us citizen.

However, I didn't think about this until after she purchased the ticket, and we figured it's better and easier to use her US passport since all of her ID's are in her married name so everything will match.

Thank you.

Timeline
1 minute ago, magicant said:

I assume she is a dual citizen, although I don't know for sure how Cambodia is regarding after you become a us citizen.

However, I didn't think about this until after she purchased the ticket, and we figured it's better and easier to use her US passport since all of her ID's are in her married name so everything will match.

Thank you.

The law states that a US citizen must enter and exit the US with a valid US passport, but that doesn't mean you must enter another country using a US passport.  For example, my wife exits the US with her US passport, but she enters Taiwan with her TW passport as a Taiwanese citizen. She exits Taiwan with her Taiwan passport, but enters the US with her US passport...all legal.

My research shows that Cambodia allows dual citizenship. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

Thanks for confirming Cambodia allows for dual citizenship.

I just thought there might be issues because A) If she enters Cambodia with Cambodia passport, her name won't match her ticket or other ID's, and B) Her US passport would only have an exit and entry stamp, with not stamps of where she went, but I guess that doesn't matter?

Thank you.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
2 minutes ago, magicant said:

I just thought there might be issues because A) If she enters Cambodia with Cambodia passport, her name won't match her ticket or other ID's, and B) Her US passport would only have an exit and entry stamp, with not stamps of where she went, but I guess that doesn't matter?

Thank you.

No issue. At the time of check in, show the agent US passport, then Cambodian passport and they will know what to do. Go through TSA with US passport, then enter Cambodia with Cambodian passport.

Timeline
9 minutes ago, magicant said:

Thank you.

The name discrepancy might be cleared up if she carries a name change documents such as marriage certificate to connect the dots between the names.   There are no customs checks or stamps when exiting the US, so no one gets an exit stamp. I don't know of any requirement for a US passport to have foreign stamps.  Some countries don't use them.

Edited by Crazy Cat

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Yes you can use both passports but to simplify it just use her US passport as she is of Cambodian ethnicity she will get a special visa stamped with a K visa number and can enter or stay as long as she wants and it’s also free of charge for her so don’t pay any fees 

Timeline

Thank you.   Can you elaborate how she gets this special visa?  Can she get it online ahead of time or does she have to get it when she arrives in Cambodia?

Does she check in with her US passport, and then show the Cambodia passport to show she is a citizen?

Just want to make sure she is prepared and doesn't have to waste time at the airport or have any issues by getting someone who maybe doesn't know about this visa.

Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cambodia
Timeline
On 8/19/2024 at 7:32 PM, magicant said:

Thank you.   Can you elaborate how she gets this special visa?  Can she get it online ahead of time or does she have to get it when she arrives in Cambodia?

Does she check in with her US passport, and then show the Cambodia passport to show she is a citizen?

Just want to make sure she is prepared and doesn't have to waste time at the airport or have any issues by getting someone who maybe doesn't know about this visa.

Thanks.

Her US passport will show her country of birth which is Cambodia and nothing special but just getting into the visa line and telling them your of Khmer birth so they will stamp the appropriate K visa. And yes you can do it online by going to the Cambodian embassy in  Washington DC website but that will take a month or so and cost money because you will need to pay for the shipping cost for both send and return. Also for future reference any of your kids will have the same privilege as their mother just show birth certificate as proof. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.