13 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hi,

I posted on another forum a few weeks back and had a few replies, but the embassy in Dublin is really putting us through the ringer so looking for more advice.

My husband attended his IR-1 visa interview in Dublin 20th June, was refused based on needing more documentation, particular proof of my US domicile. Context - I am a US citizen, my Irish spouse and I got married in Ireland in 2021 and have been living here together the past few years, always with intention to come back to US to settle.

I have submitted several documents but nothing has been approved:

• Bank statements - credit union, savings, checking, credit card, student loan, Roth IRA, investments
  • My tax transcripts/returns
  • Voting registration/voting records
  • A notarized sworn statement from my parents confirming me and my husband will be residing with them upon our arrival in US.
  • Valid PA Drivers License
  • Proof of me wiring funds from Irish bank account to US bank account

They don't give any feedback either, so hard to know what the issue is with our documents. It simply states, "document does not meet requirements, please delete" ??

I know people have mentioned applying for jobs in US while here in Ireland but I fear doing that too early before we know if and when my husband's visa is going to be approved.

Any input from people in similar situations is greatly appreciated thanks :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

How about showing definite living arrangements set up for you and your spouse in the US?  Even if it is initially with a relative, they can set up a simple lease agreement (for a nominal rent value) to show you actually have a place to live.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline
22 minutes ago, Valiegirl26 said:

Hi,

I posted on another forum a few weeks back and had a few replies, but the embassy in Dublin is really putting us through the ringer so looking for more advice.

My husband attended his IR-1 visa interview in Dublin 20th June, was refused based on needing more documentation, particular proof of my US domicile. Context - I am a US citizen, my Irish spouse and I got married in Ireland in 2021 and have been living here together the past few years, always with intention to come back to US to settle.

I have submitted several documents but nothing has been approved:

• Bank statements - credit union, savings, checking, credit card, student loan, Roth IRA, investments
  • My tax transcripts/returns
  • Voting registration/voting records
  • A notarized sworn statement from my parents confirming me and my husband will be residing with them upon our arrival in US.
  • Valid PA Drivers License
  • Proof of me wiring funds from Irish bank account to US bank account

They don't give any feedback either, so hard to know what the issue is with our documents. It simply states, "document does not meet requirements, please delete" ??

I know people have mentioned applying for jobs in US while here in Ireland but I fear doing that too early before we know if and when my husband's visa is going to be approved.

Any input from people in similar situations is greatly appreciated thanks :)

Following because I will be in this same situation next year- and honestly it looks like you have included everything to prove domicille.  Can you provide a contract of employment in the States?  A letter of resignation from your employer in Ireland? Flight info from your visits to the US? I have the same fear - of obtaining employment and settling in the US and my husband not getting the visa, but it seems to be very strong evidence of domicille.

Edited by KMG

Timeline
1 hour ago, KMG said:

Following because I will be in this same situation next year- and honestly it looks like you have included everything to prove domicille.  Can you provide a contract of employment in the States?  A letter of resignation from your employer in Ireland? Flight info from your visits to the US? I have the same fear - of obtaining employment and settling in the US and my husband not getting the visa, but it seems to be very strong evidence of domicille.

Some other ideas could be a written last Will and Testament with your husband as as the beneficiary, proof of car ownership, letters from Drs in the States you have seen.  If you continue to have problems, you may want to reach out to your State Rep.

Edited by KMG

Timeline
32 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

State rep cannot help anyone establish domicile.

Best evidence is job offer.  OP, some people find they have to bite the bullet and actually move and start working ahead of the spouse in order to satisfy the domicile issue.   Good luck.

Thanks for the clarification! 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I think the things that sealed the deal for us in Dublin were:

-my offer letter confirming my internal transfer with my company I.e. an offer for a U.S. role. as the petitoner

-One way plane tickets

-Paid movers deposits

-Deposit paid to my daughter’s new daycare

Unfortunately, it seems Dublin is being quite picky on the domicile stuff these days and folks are having to make actual financial commitments to satisfy the requirements, if they aren’t willing/able to go ahead of the spouse back to the U.S. That is, of course, also an option although I realize it’s less than ideal. 

I’m not sure if this site has a private message function but if so, please feel free to reach out if you want to chat more about this. 

Timeline
On 7/19/2024 at 4:20 PM, Dashinka said:

How about showing definite living arrangements set up for you and your spouse in the US?  Even if it is initially with a relative, they can set up a simple lease agreement (for a nominal rent value) to show you actually have a place to live.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the suggestion! I thought the sworn statement that my parents got notarized confirming we would live with them upon arrival in US would suffice as I saw someone else had done that and it was accepted - however I might have them draft up a lease as this may have a greater chance of being accepted by the officer. Thanks again!

Timeline
Posted (edited)
On 7/19/2024 at 5:42 PM, KMG said:

Some other ideas could be a written last Will and Testament with your husband as as the beneficiary, proof of car ownership, letters from Drs in the States you have seen.  If you continue to have problems, you may want to reach out to your State Rep.

Yeah my mom and I have been in touch with State Rep in Pennsylvania but they haven't been able to do much except inquire about our case with the embassy - but no real progress has been made there. Thanks for your suggestions. I am still working in my Irish job as I just don't want to give up having a salary without knowing how much longer we will be waiting for this visa as accept in the end!

Edited by Valiegirl26

Timeline
On 7/19/2024 at 11:52 PM, ak89 said:

I think the things that sealed the deal for us in Dublin were:

-my offer letter confirming my internal transfer with my company I.e. an offer for a U.S. role. as the petitoner

-One way plane tickets

-Paid movers deposits

-Deposit paid to my daughter’s new daycare

Unfortunately, it seems Dublin is being quite picky on the domicile stuff these days and folks are having to make actual financial commitments to satisfy the requirements, if they aren’t willing/able to go ahead of the spouse back to the U.S. That is, of course, also an option although I realize it’s less than ideal. 

I’m not sure if this site has a private message function but if so, please feel free to reach out if you want to chat more about this. 

Many thanks for the suggestions! Yeah the more this drags on the more we are considering other options. Never thought it would be so tough for me to prove this after living in the US majority of my life! It's a wild ride, but appreciate the insights.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

What they need from you is evidence you intend to re-establish US domicile, not just that you lived there most of your life and still have driver license, bank accounts etc.  For example, I currently have all those things AND have no intention to re-establish US Domicile.  That your parents are willing to house you, says something about their willingness and nothing at all about your intentions.  A lease agreement with family looks contrived.  How about getting some estimates on actual relocation with a relocation company, then choose one and make a deposit with an open ended date.

Are either of you looking for work in the USA?

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Thanks again everyone for your insights.

After a little more back and forth and providing more proof of a few more wire transfers with significant funds over to my US account they have approved us and we got issued the visa a few days ago!! So if anyone is in this position, wiring funds might be a good way to prove intent if you need something further. However, as we've seen, it is totally dependent upon what consular officer will accept.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2024 at 3:08 PM, Valiegirl26 said:

Thanks again everyone for your insights.

After a little more back and forth and providing more proof of a few more wire transfers with significant funds over to my US account they have approved us and we got issued the visa a few days ago!! So if anyone is in this position, wiring funds might be a good way to prove intent if you need something further. However, as we've seen, it is totally dependent upon what consular officer will accept.

Can I ask how much was considered acceptable by the consular officer? Once we sell our house we will be able to move money but it would be good to know how much may be seen as acceptable! Congratulations by the by!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.