SeRaFort

I-864 DCF ? (Merged threads)

16 posts in this topic

I am in the second portion of DCF with a job offer that I accepted and currently work on but I have been living abroad for the past 3-4 years, I filed taxes while abroad but my income is in a foreign currency. Our sponsor gave me a copy of their W-2. Is that sufficient? Has anyone had this experience? I'm preparing all the documents for my wife's final interview.  I also have a broker account + wife has her own savings. If anyone has had experience with this process I would appreciate any help or orientation. Sponsor income is more than 100k.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

You will also need copies of your joint sponsor's tax returns, or tax transcripts.  If you get transcripts you will not need the W2's.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 minute ago, SeRaFort said:

Thank you! Just in case I don't get them in time, is a W2 good enough? 

Not really sure as I have never gone through the DCF process, but generally consulates will not accept just the W2s.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
39 minutes ago, SeRaFort said:

Thank you! Just in case I don't get them in time, is a W2 good enough? The reason I am asking is because I am from Puerto Rico, and their documents are different.  

No W2 are not sufficient 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
53 minutes ago, SeRaFort said:

Thank you! Just in case I don't get them in time, is a W2 good enough? The reason I am asking is because I am from Puerto Rico, and their documents are different.  

Are you sure?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Sounds good

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Yes, looks like they should provide Puerto Rican tax return provided that all income is from Puerto Rico:

The most common situation in which there is a claim that the sponsor had no duty to file a Federal income tax return will probably involve sponsors who reside in Puerto Rico. These sponsors, under 26 U.S.C. 933(1), may exclude from their taxable income any income from a source in Puerto Rico (other than from U.S. Government employment in Puerto Rico). If a sponsor had no income from a source outside Puerto Rico, it may well be the case that he or she will have considerable income, none of which is subject to the Federal income tax. In this case, the sponsor will have to present other evidence to substantiate his or her claimed income. In most cases, the sponsor's Puerto Rico income tax return, if any, would be the most probative alternative evidence.

https://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/DownloadDocument?objectID=73533501

Hello again, 

I currently work abroad and need to file the I-864. I also have a joint sponsor who provides W-2 and 1040s with sufficient income. I currently work abroad and have sufficient income but I was told and have read here that my foreign income is not considered. Since my foreign income is not considered, how would I fill out the I-864? Also, I'm petitioning my wife and stepdaughter. Do I need two I-864 from me, my wife, and my stepdaughter and two sponsors I-864 (one for my wife and one for my stepdaughter?)? Thanks for any help you can provide. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

If your foreign income will not continue after re-locating to the US, then you enter $0 current annual income for your I-864s, but you include your tax form info and you submit your tax documents for your I-864s.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

You as the petitioner would fill out an I-864 and your joint sponsor would fill out another one. Yours will say zero for income because your job abroad doesn’t count.

Your wife would be the “principal immigrant” and your step daughter would be “family member 1” in the form.

If your joint sponsor is married, their spouse should probably fill out an I-864A.

Hi,

I was accepted for DCF and my wife and stepdaughter have their appointment soon where they file DS-260, and provide I-864 + I-864 (sponsors) for each member since an I-130 was filed for each one. On the I-864 form on page 5 of 10 where it says Federal Income Tax Return Information do I click on 23a. checkboxes Yes or No? I was provided with a W2 and 1040PR forms, how do I input that information? Although Puerto Rico is a US Territory, we don't file Federal Income Taxes. Thanks for any help provided!

*** Threads on I-864 merged. Please keep all further questions regarding I-864 form and supporting evidence in this thread only ***

This question came up recently, have a read through this thread:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.