farea

Muslim husband can add 02 wives

63 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

then they have also not followed Islamic law (Sharia)  which says

But Sharia requires Muslims to obey “the law of the land” of the country they live in. The “law of the land” in the U.S. is the Constitution. Sharia requires Muslim Americans to support and follow the Constitution in all matters related to public law.

To petition he would need to be living in US as LPR or USC and he would have broken both US and Islamic laws

I was actually surprised to learn how accepted such practice is.
All the man’s extended family ( in the US and abroad) knew , the 2nd wife ( most were cousins) in home country and all her family knew of the America wife . ..she was the only one in the dark.

7 minutes ago, Family said:

All the man’s extended family ( in the US and abroad) knew , the 2nd wife ( most were cousins) in home country and all her family knew of the America wife . ..she was the only one in the dark.

Ugh.   

4 hours ago, Family said:

I have met many  Iranians, Pakistani , Afghan Muslim men who were living one life in the US ( w one US wife ) , while going to home country periodically and living with their 2nd ( after acquired ) wife

Interesting because I also know many Pakistanis, Yemenis, Afghans and Bangladeshis and I have yet to meet or hear anyone practicing polygamy or having a second family back home. In fact, my Pashto speaking husband whose extended family comes from a remote area near a Pakistan-Afghanistan border also doesn’t know a single person in his town and nearby villages who practice polygamy. In fact, it is unheard of even though the area is very conservative. This goes for his extended network of friends and acquaintances here in the US too.

I’ll leave this article form Pew Research here as well:

Fewer than 1% of Muslim men live with more than one spouse in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Iran and Egypt – all countries where the practice is legal …”

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2020/12/07/polygamy-is-rare-around-the-world-and-mostly-confined-to-a-few-regions/#:~:text=Fewer than 1% of Muslim,legal at least for Muslims.

Edited by powerpuff

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Legally speaking, if a person is already married then they are barred from becoming a US Citizen as polygamy is illegal in the United States. Even if your husband divorced one of his wives, his case would still be denied because then he would be trying to get a VISA based off a "fake" marriage AKA getting married/divorced for a VISA which is also not allowed.

Unless the petitioner lies on the application and hides their other marriage, which could result in a permanent VISA ban, they are out of luck.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from the K-3 Process forum to General Immigration Discussion -- too many variables and unanswered questions.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

1 hour ago, powerpuff said:

Interesting because I also know many Pakistanis, Yemenis, Afghans and Bangladeshis and I have yet to meet or hear anyone practicing polygamy or having a second family back home. In fact, my Pashto speaking husband whose extended family comes from a remote area near a Pakistan-Afghanistan border also doesn’t know a single person in his town and nearby villages who practice polygamy. In fact, it is unheard of even though the area is very conservative. This goes for his extended network of friends and acquaintances here in the US too.

I’ll leave this article form Pew Research here as well:

Fewer than 1% of Muslim men live with more than one spouse in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Iran and Egypt – all countries where the practice is legal …”

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2020/12/07/polygamy-is-rare-around-the-world-and-mostly-confined-to-a-few-regions/#:~:text=Fewer than 1% of Muslim,legal at least for Muslims.

I acknowledge I should qualify my earlier statement ..from many to   A Few, certainly of no significant statistical importance. They were also all trying to solve an immigration issue similar to OP…..so not representative of any significant segment. 

19 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

Very interesting that USCIS will scrutinize the entire living arrangements, not just marriages....and the later ramifications are significant.

checking and verification part is ok. but the question is still unanswered that Husband as a main applicant can start the process of immigration adding both the wife details in the application. without giving divorce to anyone. 

1 minute ago, powerpuff said:

Then they can’t immigrate to the US. Plain and simple 

it means process is complicated for muslims... 

7 hours ago, Family said:

this is completely a new application and main applicant is husband who wants to add both the wives . (no one holds US citizenship right now)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
10 minutes ago, farea said:

but the question is still unanswered that Husband as a main applicant can start the process of immigration adding both the wife details in the application. without giving divorce to anyone. 

He can file a petition (I-130) petition to start the process, and list both wives on the application, but it will be denied.  Polygamy is illegal in the USA.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
12 minutes ago, farea said:

this is completely a new application and main applicant is husband who wants to add both the wives . (no one holds US citizenship right now)

What isn’t clear, is the husband in the U.S. as a green card holder (you mentioned no one is a USC) or is he immigrating through another family member through an F3 or F4, or some other type of visa?

In the end though it doesn’t really matter based on US law.  He can only immigrate with one wife regardless.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Forget Wife 001 and Wife 002, I'd be looking for Husband 002 after Divorce 001. Hit that button. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Go Away Bed GIF by James Bond 007

Edited by Melancholic Mage

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.