farea

Muslim husband can add 02 wives

63 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
Just now, Pinkrlion said:

I agree but no one has said who is the US Citizen. How do you qualify to apply?  Income/domicile/taxes. Asking how to make a smooth transition when it is rocky at the gate. 

Yep.  I use the term "roll the dice".

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

22 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Yep.  I use the term "roll the dice".

Divorce is not as complicated for men in Muslim countries…so husband here would need to choose between Green Card and Wife 01 on one hand, or continue living in home country , in legal marital bliss with both wives…and a possible 3rd, 4th if he so wants. Tough choice?

Edited by Family

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 hours ago, farea said:
Good Day,

My Husband has 02 wives and he is planning to apply for the US-Immigration. would like to know that in the same application 02 wives can be added?
1st marriage is 11 years old and 2nd is 03 years old  

Need guidance for the smooth process.

Thanks & Regards
Farea

@Pinkrlion asked an important question:  Who is the US citizen/Green Card holder?  Is it Husband, you, or wife #2?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

muslim man (in his country) can have multiple wives IF 1st wife agrees to this /so IF   are 1st wife and agreed to this, u too,  have broken US law

as this practice is  very illegal in US 

about 2 years ago a post Muslim man went back to Moroc and married 2nd wife

he didn't like the responses on VJ when he posted he was applying for child of 2nd wife to come to US

Problem is all marriages (even if not legal must be reported on petition)

U can read that the embassy and immigration are not the police or moral police and the embassy does not have to do anything but they did revoke his citizenship for breaking US laws and he could not return as his state of Massachusetts give jail time for polygamy

5 hours ago, farea said:
Good Day,

My Husband has 02 wives and he is planning to apply for the US-Immigration. would like to know that in the same application 02 wives can be added?

Thanks & Regards
Farea

Nope.   Polygamy is illegal in all 50 states.   If he wants to live like this, he should stay in his own country.

Timeline
4 hours ago, Pinkrlion said:

Who is the US citizen?  Husband will have to divorce one of the two wives and then you can apply. 

You cannot have more than one wife in the US regardless of Cultural practices

Yes,  please answer OP who is the USC?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline
8 hours ago, farea said:
Good Day,

Thanks & Regards
Farea

I am wondering where you got the impression, or information, that the husband can bring multiple wives to the States. You stated your question as if it is a right- it is not a "smooth process" because  (as others have stated) it is illegal in the States.  Still don't who the USC is?

8 hours ago, farea said:

thanks for the brief update. need more guidance because in Islam 04 wives are allowed at a time and if a Muslim is applying for immigration, then which option to select to add both wives as both are registered marriages 1st is 11 years of and 2nd is 3 years old. need guidance

8 hours ago, Family said:

Just gave you guidance.

1) f you are the US citizen (note that you it is a grey area whether you BROKE the law by practicing polygamy even though you have only 1 spouse):

Your husband must divorce wife number 2.  

You (as ONLY wife) may sponsor him.

It must be a real divorce.

He can sponsor his children by the 2nd wife.  He must make sure to add them to his i130A and DS260.

He can never THINK to sponsor the 2nd wife by divorcing you and marrying her.  

2) If someone ELSE is sponsoring your husband (be it employer or his US parent or his US child):

Your husband MUST pick one of you to divorce.  Could be wife 1 (you) or wife (2).

He can sponsor all his children.

Edited by manyfudge

12 minutes ago, manyfudge said:

Just gave you guidance.

Your husband must divorce wife number 2.  

You (as ONLY wife) may sponsor him.

It must be a real divorce.

He can sponsor his children by the 2nd wife.

He can never THINK to sponsor the 2nd wife by divorcing you and marrying her.

I wasn’t too helpful…as I still don’t know :Who or What’s on 1st Base …( a family ,  employment or diversity visa)…

OP is new on VJ so likely reached her limit on daily responses.

Edited by Family

9 minutes ago, Family said:

I wasn’t too helpful…as I still don’t  Who or What’s on 1st Base …( a family ,  employment or diversity visa)…

It seems fairly clearcut.

I'm going to leave out diversity - how he have filled out the diversity entry is probably his best way forward (and divorce the other one).

Polygamy is legal for Muslim men in most Muslim countries.  

If the husband is a US dual citizen, then he broke the law.  Pick one wife, divorce the other.  It is arguable whether the non US wife broke any laws here.

So ASSUMING US wife is sponsoring him, then he has to go with that US wife and divorce the other.  The US wife (however) broke US laws by practicing

polygamy - so entirely possible embassy will never give him an immigrant visa.

ASSUMING someone else is sponsoring him, he WASN'T committing a crime by practicing polygamy. Now that he desires a US green card, he must

divorce one of the wives.  That wife gets to immigrate with him.

He will have GREAT difficulty bringing the other wife even if he divorces 1st wife and sponsors the other.

Someone who is of the mindset that polygamy is OK (given the great SOCIAL costs of legal polygamy in Muslim countries) should maybe reconsider his decision to immigrate.

Edited by manyfudge

6 minutes ago, manyfudge said:

It seems fairly clearcut.

You may have a sharper grasp, than I in this case. 

I gathered “husband is main applicant “ ( nothing makes it sound as if Husband , Wife 01 or Wife 02 are the petitioner/sponsor) and wishes to “add” both wives to the immigration process ( here I  assume husband  both wives live in home country )…

I have met many  Iranians, Pakistani , Afghan Muslim men who were living one life in the US ( w one US wife ) , while going to home country periodically and living with their 2nd ( after acquired ) wife

Timeline
1 hour ago, Family said:

You may have a sharper grasp, than I in this case. 

I gathered “husband is main applicant “ ( nothing makes it sound as if Husband , Wife 01 or Wife 02 are the petitioner/sponsor) and wishes to “add” both wives to the immigration process ( here I  assume husband  both wives live in home country )…

I have met many  Iranians, Pakistani , Afghan Muslim men who were living one life in the US ( w one US wife ) , while going to home country periodically and living with their 2nd ( after acquired ) wife

then they have also not followed Islamic law (Sharia)  which says

But Sharia requires Muslims to obey “the law of the land” of the country they live in. The “law of the land” in the U.S. is the Constitution. Sharia requires Muslim Americans to support and follow the Constitution in all matters related to public law.

To petition he would need to be living in US as LPR or USC and he would have broken both US and Islamic laws

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

This reminds me if a situation I dealt with years back.

The Company operated in the North Sea and an employee who did so died. So there was a Group Life assurance he benefited from. Two wives came forward one in the UK and one in Norway, seemed he would take it in turns with his breaks to see them.

Anyway the marriage that counted was the first one and I forget which one that was.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.