Dragonsarereal

Password required for USCIS I-485 document - which password?

28 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
4 hours ago, OldUser said:

That's right. It takes about 1.5 months for them just to open the packet, scan it into system and create new case

wow, where do we get this data from? I am applying now, so once they create a new case, how long does it take for them to read the only line asking for the SSN and then move that part to the SSN department?

4 minutes ago, Dragonsarereal said:

wow, where do we get this data from? I am applying now, so once they create a new case, how long does it take for them to read the only line asking for the SSN and then move that part to the SSN department?

Reading Visa Journey on a daily basis. People are complaining about their packets not being processed for 1.5 - 2 months. This all began since end of March, right before the new fees were introduced.

Edited by OldUser

4 minutes ago, Dragonsarereal said:

wow, where do we get this data from?

There are many more.

6 minutes ago, Dragonsarereal said:

I am applying now, so once they create a new case, how long does it take for them to read the only line asking for the SSN and then move that part to the SSN department?

They will not send anything to SSA until the case is approved. Even then, half the time they don’t send the request to SSA and you have to wait for the physical card to go to the SSA office.

K1 arrivals are eligible to receive an SSN number before day 75 of the 90 days. It’s preferable to do that before marriage. It looks like you’re still within that time. I would be running to the SSA office first thing tomorrow to apply. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Reading Visa Journey on a daily basis. People are complaining about their packets not being processed for 1.5 - 2 months. This all began since end of March, right before the new fees were introduced.

I've been reading all along. Problem is that sometimes I get confused with all the forums and even with searches I cannot find the correct topic. The new fee of $1044 is massive....plus for Authorisation to work being $250 it's a total steal.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

There are many more.

They will not send anything to SSA until the case is approved. Even then, half the time they don’t send the request to SSA and you have to wait for the physical card to go to the SSA office.

K1 arrivals are eligible to receive an SSN number before day 75 of the 90 days. It’s preferable to do that before marriage. It looks like you’re still within that time. I would be running to the SSA office first thing tomorrow to apply. 

wow thanks for the info. I am totally defeated. I just wanted the SSN for the bank account but looks like I will be searching for a bank that doesn't ask for it.

5 minutes ago, Dragonsarereal said:

The new fee of $1044 is massive....plus for Authorisation to work being $250 it's a total steal.

It’s $1440 for I-485 and $260 for EAD to be exact 

1 minute ago, Dragonsarereal said:

wow thanks for the info. I am totally defeated. I just wanted the SSN for the bank account but looks like I will be searching for a bank that doesn't ask for it.

I’m not sure if you read until the end  of my post… you can get one now while you’re eligible. 

Timeline
17 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

I’m not sure if you read until the end  of my post… you can get one now while you’re eligible. 

I did. Also wrote wrong numbers (as I had just read them quickly). Our question was if asking for the SSN separately would somehow slow down or complicate the AOS process but it doesn't seem to be the case. However, it looks like I cannot just get a SSN with a K1 visa if I remember correctly. I need a work permit first...

19 minutes ago, Dragonsarereal said:

If you don’t succeed w SS office in getting a SS card on the spot , you can still open ( or get added to ) a bank account. Just show 2 forms of identification ( passport and another like DL from your country) , tell the bank to treat you as Non Resident , , then update them when you get your work permit and SS

https://www.chase.com/personal/banking/education/basics/us-bank-account-for-non-residents

Just now, Dragonsarereal said:

it doesn't seem to be the case.

Correct. And you don’t need to wait for it to arrive in order to file AOS.

1 minute ago, Dragonsarereal said:

However, it looks like I cannot just get a SSN with a K1 visa if I remember correctly. I need a work permit first...

Yes, you can…. As I said previously, by law you’re eligible for one until day 75 of the 90 days given after the K1 entry. I hope this helps:

8 hours ago, Dragonsarereal said:

However, it looks like I cannot just get a SSN with a K1 visa if I remember correctly. I need a work permit first...

No you don’t. 

11 hours ago, Dragonsarereal said:

I did. Also wrote wrong numbers (as I had just read them quickly). Our question was if asking for the SSN separately would somehow slow down or complicate the AOS process but it doesn't seem to be the case. However, it looks like I cannot just get a SSN with a K1 visa if I remember correctly. I need a work permit first...

As I stated earlier a K1 is eligible for an SSN as soon as they arrive. You could go today and get one if you'd like and I'd strongly recommend that.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

5 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

As I stated earlier a K1 is eligible for an SSN as soon as they arrive. You could go today and get one if you'd like and I'd strongly recommend that.

yep.. my wife got hers on the first week of arrival.. 4 days later she had her card

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.