Dragonsarereal

Password required for USCIS I-485 document - which password?

28 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

hi there!

So, I arrived in the USA a month ago, got married, and now preparing documents for adjustment of status. We went to this link: 

Form I-485

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-485.pdf.   I filled the form, saving it with a new name and then left my computer for one day. When I returned, the form stopped opening. All I see is a bank pdf document telling me that the doc is password protected.

I tried every possible password from the USCIS account and the back end one, but nothing works.

I checked the site and there isn't an option for me to fill the form online in any way now.

Very frustrated as it took me hours to fill this form.

I am sure I am missing something here? I would love to learn how you fixed the issue. 

I am using an iMac running safari if this is any help.

Thanks!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Hungary
Timeline

It doesn’t sound like a uscis issue. The documents are not password protected, when you download them. Are you sure the document is the one you are trying to open? If you have a Mac then you can look at recent documents that you opened. It may be in there. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

since you're using a mac is it possible that the password is whatever password you use to unlock you computer?

thats the only thing I can think of

I-129f Sent:  08-07-2023

I-129f NOA1:  08-15-2023

I-129f NOA2: 03-05-2024

NVC Case # Assigned:  03-25-2024

Consulate Received: 04-11-2024

Packet 3 Received: 04-25-2024

Interview Date: 07-09-2024 APPROVED!

Visa Issued: 07-11-2024

Visa Received: 7-15-2024

Date of Entry: 11-5-2024

Married: 12-18-2024

Timeline
6 hours ago, Leeman15251 said:

It doesn’t sound like a uscis issue. The documents are not password protected, when you download them. Are you sure the document is the one you are trying to open? If you have a Mac then you can look at recent documents that you opened. It may be in there. 

I am sure it’s that document and this happens to other people too. Never happened in my older 27” Mac.  I now tried downloading acrobat reader and it looks like it’s opening there.

Timeline

Thanks - I tried all the possible passwords to no avail. Now using acrobat reader and it looks like the doc opens. Also found out it takes 18 months for adjustment of status.

how does one open a bank account without a SSN? Strange system 

13 minutes ago, Dragonsarereal said:

Small banks may put zeroes in place of your SSN until you get the actual number. But generally, no SSN - no bank account. Did you apply for EAD? Once you have it, you can get SSN from Social Security Administration

16 hours ago, Dragonsarereal said:

hi there!

So, I arrived in the USA a month ago, got married, and now preparing documents for adjustment of status. We went to this link: 

Form I-485

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-485.pdf.   I filled the form, saving it with a new name and then left my computer for one day. When I returned, the form stopped opening. All I see is a bank pdf document telling me that the doc is password protected.

I tried every possible password from the USCIS account and the back end one, but nothing works.

I checked the site and there isn't an option for me to fill the form online in any way now.

Very frustrated as it took me hours to fill this form.

I am sure I am missing something here? I would love to learn how you fixed the issue. 

I am using an iMac running safari if this is any help.

Thanks!

Did you open the pdf with Adobe? 

Do you have an Adobe account login?

1 hour ago, Dragonsarereal said:

I am sure it’s that document and this happens to other people too. Never happened in my older 27” Mac.  I now tried downloading acrobat reader and it looks like it’s opening there.

I asked my tech guy, and he says "they don't have adobe acrobat reader do they? that's the likely problem. if not chuck the Mac out the window."😋

Thanks - I tried all the possible passwords to no avail. Now using acrobat reader and it looks like the doc opens. Also found out it takes 18 months for adjustment of status.

You came on a K1 and that means you can obtain an SSN within days after arrival. Unfortunately if it's after the 90 days you'd now have to wait. We usually advise people to get the SSN as soon as possible as it's important for health insurance purposes. We went to the SSA the same day we went to the clerk to apply for a marriage license, about a week or so after he arrived, and then followed up at the bank when the card arrived. 

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline
2 hours ago, OldUser said:

Small banks may put zeroes in place of your SSN until you get the actual number. But generally, no SSN - no bank account. Did you apply for EAD? Once you have it, you can get SSN from Social Security Administration

I was reading about applying now and got confused. EAD? not even sure of what it is. I am just working on adjustment of status which also includes SSN but as it takes 18 months I will have to re think this!

Timeline
2 hours ago, EatBulaga said:

Did you open the pdf with Adobe? 

Do you have an Adobe account login?

Yes and yes I have an account. No luck with Preview as it would not open. Will now re fill using Acrobat.I would not throw away my Mac just because I don't understand why a pdf is locked. :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
19 minutes ago, Dragonsarereal said:

I was reading about applying now and got confused. EAD ? not even sure of what it is. I am just working on adjustment of status which also includes SSN but as it takes 18 months I will have to re think this!

EAD is the work authorization form. it is form I-765

most people file it along side the I-485 form.

Edited by MalloryCat

I-129f Sent:  08-07-2023

I-129f NOA1:  08-15-2023

I-129f NOA2: 03-05-2024

NVC Case # Assigned:  03-25-2024

Consulate Received: 04-11-2024

Packet 3 Received: 04-25-2024

Interview Date: 07-09-2024 APPROVED!

Visa Issued: 07-11-2024

Visa Received: 7-15-2024

Date of Entry: 11-5-2024

Married: 12-18-2024

18 minutes ago, Dragonsarereal said:

I was reading about applying now and got confused. EAD? not even sure of what it is. I am just working on adjustment of status which also includes SSN but as it takes 18 months I will have to re think this!

EAD is Employment Authorization Document. Obtained by filing form I-765.

AOS can take a year or so in some cases.

EAD may be sent to you within the first 3-6 months of waiting.

The card allows you to get SSN, get state ID or Driver's License, get employed, open bank account etc etc

Edited by OldUser

Timeline

So many forms! on the USCIS site they don't really explain how long it takes to get the SSN if going through AOS. My thinking is that AOS take 18 months precisely because there is a long wait/piles of docs, etc so it will take months for them to even open my envelope, let alone read the application and find the line where I ask for SSN.

So many forms! on the USCIS site they don't really explain how long it takes to get the SSN if going through AOS. My thinking is that AOS take 18 months precisely because there is a long wait/piles of docs, etc so it will take months for them to even open my envelope, let alone read the application and find the line where I ask for SSN.

That's right. It takes about 1.5 months for them just to open the packet, scan it into system and create new case

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.