Clarky and Tarah

Legal Resident of the United States?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm searching for health insurance STILL and I have a question. If you enter the U.S. on a K1 visa and file for AOS are you considered a legal resident of the United States? I'm wondering because on a website I'm looking at it says one of the qualification for a prescription card is that the applicant is a "legal resident of the U.S. or Puerto Rico. Would conditional permanent residency suffice? Also, I was talking with some brokers and one of them said that once my fiance enters the U.S. he won't qualify for any of our insurance companies for at least a year. I thought he might wrong because I've read on here where some people get insurance for their fiance/spouses as soon as they enter the country.

Thank you all in advance. This is so stressful. :girlwerewolf2xn:

5/11/2007 - Submitted I-129F

5/14/2007 - Packet Received by USCIS

5/21/2007 - Received NOA1

7/11/2007 - Ordered Police Certificate

8/16/2007 - Received Police Certificate

8/23/2007 - Received NOA2 Email Confirmation

8/30/2007 - Received NOA2 Hardcopy

9/4/2007 - Received NVC Letter

9/10/2007 - Packet 3 Received

9/24/2007 - Packet 3 Returned

10/7/2007 - Medical Interview - London

11/6/2007 - Interview - PASSED!

11/13/2007 - Passport Returned

11/18/2007 - Coming Home for Good

11/19/2007 - Had trouble at the aiport...NOW coming home for good.

12/18/2007 - Applied for Social Security Card

12/27/2007 - Received Social Security Card

2/05/2008 - Getting Married!

2/18/2008 - Submitted AOS packet

2/26/2008 - NOA for I-485, I-I-765, and I-131

2/28/2008 - Received ASC Appointment Notice

3/12/2008 - Biometric Appointment

3/13/2008 - RFE for I-485

3/24/2008 - Submitted Evidence

5/2/2008 - I-485 Transfer Notice - sent to CA center

7/17/2008 - Received EAD

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

in my opinion a LPR or conditional LPR has to have a greencard, not a visa of any type. I would contact them and ask what their regulations are. It would be thier rules, not our government that would determine qualifications.

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

Are you not able to add him to your own plan as your spouse? I would contact other brokers or contact health insurance companies that serve your area. My broker got insurance for my K1 fiance/ husband as soon as we got married. She said he is here legally and there is no reason for him not to be covered. Have not had any issue with it. Hope you can find one that works.

Maggie

08-07-06 I129 NOA1

02-05-07 Visa in Hand

02-13-07 POE JFK w/temp EAD

02-23-07 Civil Marriage

06-17-07 Wedding

08-13-07 Card received in mail

04-14-09 Trip to Maui for Anniversary

06-04-09 Filed to lift conditions

08-13-09 Perm Card received

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Once you get your card in the mail (I-551 Permanent Resident Card) you ARE a legal and permanent resident of the USA. The caveat is that if you do not apply for the removal of conditions they will revoke your status.

I am currently a permanent resident with conditions, and have had both my own insurance as well as been on my wife's insurance since I got that card.

Hope that helps :)

I'm searching for health insurance STILL and I have a question. If you enter the U.S. on a K1 visa and file for AOS are you considered a legal resident of the United States? I'm wondering because on a website I'm looking at it says one of the qualification for a prescription card is that the applicant is a "legal resident of the U.S. or Puerto Rico. Would conditional permanent residency suffice? Also, I was talking with some brokers and one of them said that once my fiance enters the U.S. he won't qualify for any of our insurance companies for at least a year. I thought he might wrong because I've read on here where some people get insurance for their fiance/spouses as soon as they enter the country.

Thank you all in advance. This is so stressful. :girlwerewolf2xn:

James & Shiloh - Newark, NJ

Married on July 9, 2005

No difficulties with any steps in the middle to note...

---------- Removal of Conditions Timeline ----------

DEC 10 07 - Paperwork Mailed to Vermont

DEC 31 07 - NOA Received

JAN 02 08 - USCIS Website acknowledged receipt date.

OCT 27 08 - Received Notice of Removal of Conditional Basis of Lawful Permanent Residence Decision Date: Oct 25, 2008

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

My husband got health insurance through his employer (they had his tax ID and used that, I guess) when he was working w/out authorization on a tourist visa. I don't see why you shouldn't be able to be added as a spouse...and I added him to mine w/out an SSN.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: Timeline

Clarky and Tarah,

I'm searching for health insurance STILL and I have a question. If you enter the U.S. on a K1 visa and file for AOS are you considered a legal resident of the United States?

No. The AOS application has to be approved for you to be an LPR.

I'm wondering because on a website I'm looking at it says one of the qualification for a prescription card is that the applicant is a "legal resident of the U.S. or Puerto Rico. Would conditional permanent residency suffice?

An LPR with conditions is nevertheless an LPR.

Yodrak

Edited by Yodrak

I'm searching for health insurance STILL and I have a question. If you enter the U.S. on a K1 visa and file for AOS are you considered a legal resident of the United States?

No, you are a non-resident alien until your AOS is approved.

I'm wondering because on a website I'm looking at it says one of the qualification for a prescription card is that the applicant is a "legal resident of the U.S. or Puerto Rico. Would conditional permanent residency suffice?

Yes, but also being a non-resident alien would probably suffice also. Companies tend to play a bit fast a loose with the words "resident", they probably just mean that you're legal (rather than illegal) as opposed to having to have a Green Card.

Also, I was talking with some brokers and one of them said that once my fiance enters the U.S. he won't qualify for any of our insurance companies for at least a year. I thought he might wrong because I've read on here where some people get insurance for their fiance/spouses as soon as they enter the country.

Sounds like a load of #######. I had health insurance for almost 8 years before I became a Green Card holder, it was never an issue that I wasn't an "LPR". My advice would be to get a SS number for him, and put him on your health insurance. I doubt they will ask about his residency status.

Edited by Dr_LHA

Dr_LHA,

I overlooked this myself in my post, but we do have to be very careful with our language here.

"non-resident alien" sounds like IRS-speak, not INA-speak. Clarky and Tarah is an alien (half of them is, anyway), and resident in the USA - very much a resident alien. And probably legal. So while they are a resident alien, and a legal resident, they are not a Legal Permanent Resident.

If they accurately quoted the website, I wonder what the website meant by 'legal resident'? Probably LPR, but who knows for sure?

Yodrak

No, you are a non-resident alien until your AOS is approved.

Yes, but also being a non-resident alien would probably suffice also. Companies tend to play a bit fast a loose with the words "resident", they probably just mean that you're legal (rather than illegal) as opposed to having to have a Green Card.

If they accurately quoted the website, I wonder what the website meant by 'legal resident'? Probably LPR, but who knows for sure?

Exactly. You can read into it what you like. Personally I always interpreted it as meaning "you're here legally", it the company doesn't explicitly state that they mean Green Card Holders, then its their fault! The trouble is that the word "resident" has so many odd reasons. If an illegal alien rents a house in California, are they not residents of that state after all? Depending on which particular definition you use, it can be yes or no.

Dr_LHA,

Agreed. That's why our Gentle Posters need to use (and understand) correct terminology - including capitalization.

Yodrak

Exactly. You can read into it what you like. Personally I always interpreted it as meaning "you're here legally", it the company doesn't explicitly state that they mean Green Card Holders, then its their fault! The trouble is that the word "resident" has so many odd reasons. If an illegal alien rents a house in California, are they not residents of that state after all? Depending on which particular definition you use, it can be yes or no.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thank you all for the information. The exact quote from the website is:

"Find out if you're eligible: I have no prescription drug coverage. I am not eligible for Medicare. I am a resident of the US or Puerto Rico".

I see on the application that it doesn't require a SSN. Maybe they did just mean "legally here".

Thanks again everyone.

5/11/2007 - Submitted I-129F

5/14/2007 - Packet Received by USCIS

5/21/2007 - Received NOA1

7/11/2007 - Ordered Police Certificate

8/16/2007 - Received Police Certificate

8/23/2007 - Received NOA2 Email Confirmation

8/30/2007 - Received NOA2 Hardcopy

9/4/2007 - Received NVC Letter

9/10/2007 - Packet 3 Received

9/24/2007 - Packet 3 Returned

10/7/2007 - Medical Interview - London

11/6/2007 - Interview - PASSED!

11/13/2007 - Passport Returned

11/18/2007 - Coming Home for Good

11/19/2007 - Had trouble at the aiport...NOW coming home for good.

12/18/2007 - Applied for Social Security Card

12/27/2007 - Received Social Security Card

2/05/2008 - Getting Married!

2/18/2008 - Submitted AOS packet

2/26/2008 - NOA for I-485, I-I-765, and I-131

2/28/2008 - Received ASC Appointment Notice

3/12/2008 - Biometric Appointment

3/13/2008 - RFE for I-485

3/24/2008 - Submitted Evidence

5/2/2008 - I-485 Transfer Notice - sent to CA center

7/17/2008 - Received EAD

Clarky and Tarah,

Maybe. As Gaby&Talbert wrote, you'll need to contact them to find out what they mean.

Yodrak

Thank you all for the information. The exact quote from the website is:

"Find out if you're eligible: I have no prescription drug coverage. I am not eligible for Medicare. I am a resident of the US or Puerto Rico".

I see on the application that it doesn't require a SSN. Maybe they did just mean "legally here".

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Exactly. You can read into it what you like. Personally I always interpreted it as meaning "you're here legally", it the company doesn't explicitly state that they mean Green Card Holders, then its their fault!

I have interpreted it the same way. Being a "legal resident" doesn't mean they expect you to have a green card - it means you're here legally and physically reside on the territory of the U.S.

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

As soon as I had a social security number, I was covered by my husband's healthcare here.

I-485 AOS Filing (shortened timeline):

08/25/06 - WEDDING DAY <3

09/14/06 - Medical

09/18/06 - Mailed AOS

10/04/06 - RFE request I-485

10/11/06 - RFE response rec'd by USCIS

10/12/06 - BIOMETRICS done!

11/18/06 - Interview Notice in mail (Day 60)

12/26/06 - *TOUCH* I-765, EAD approval notice sent (Day 98)

12/29/06 - Received EAD, applied for SSN (Day 101)

01/03/07 - *TOUCH* I-130, I-485, I-765 received EAD (Day 106)

01/10/07 - INTERVIEW 9:45am Baltimore! Recommended for approval (Day 113)

05/08/07 - APPROVAL NOTICE & WELCOME TO USA LETTER SENT! (Day 231)

05/14/07 - Received I-130 approval & welcome letter (Day 237)

05/15/07 - Green card ordered (Day 238)

I-751 Filing:

02/06/09 - Mailed I-751! (Day 1)

02/09/09 - I-751 Delivered to Vermont (Day 4)

02/13/09 - NOA 1 (Day 8)

03/06/09 - BIOMETRICS (Day 29)

03/09/09 - *TOUCH* (Day 32)

06/26/09 - 10 year green card APPROVED! (Day 141)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

A lot depends on the insurance company policy and the type of insurance you are trying to get. Group and employer provided insurances usually have less restrictive policies and may not even ask about residence. Individual policies are often more selective on who they insure. Six month US residence requirement is common. If you have access to insurance through your employer talk to the contact person to get the details as they often can add your spouse with few questions.

Also remember there is a big difference in the many individual policies that are offered. They all tend to be more selective and expensive than group policies. Be very careful what you buy and look at what is actually covered and how much your co-pay will be and what doctors you will be able to visit.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Dogs can't take MRI's but Cat scan.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.