Anas1994

USA taxes filling question

14 posts in this topic

Hi I’m US citizen living outside USA with my kids who are us citizens too , my husband still living in USA im asking if he didn’t pay taxes for us and we need to renew passports in the future will that affect renewal ?  Will our passports banned or suspended or irs department banne  only personns who don’t pay taxes ? I’m outside USA and not working , if my husband didn’t pay taxes for me and I came back to USA on the future will my passport rejected  and not renewed ? What about my kids passport too if he didn’t fill them in taxes ? Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
Posted (edited)

The Department of State can, in serious tax delinquency cases, refuse to renew a taxpayer's passport or revoke a passport.

Passports and Unpaid Federal Taxes (state.gov)

"Seriously delinquent tax debt is your unpaid, federal tax debt which includes interest and penalties.

If the Secretary of the Treasury let us know you have seriously delinquent tax debt, we cannot issue a U.S. passport to you. We may also revoke your valid U.S. passport. "

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Posted (edited)

Hi I still confused on answers , what I understand that not paying taxes can prevent passport renewal and the first answer was that my passports will not be affected can u please explain to me ? If my husband pay taxes for herself and don’t include us since he lives in USA and I live outside USA with my kids all of us had us passport , if he didn’t joint us in their taxes will that affect renewal of our passports ? 

Edited by Anas1994

4 minutes ago, Anas1994 said:

Hi I still confused on answers , what I understand that not paying taxes can prevent passport renewal and the first answer was that my passports will not be affected can u please explain to me ? If my husband pay taxes for herself and don’t include us since he lives in USA and I live outside USA with my kids all of us had us passport , if he didn’t joint us in their taxes will that affect renewal of our passports ? 

Law abinding citizens pay taxes. Yes, your passports can be in danger if you don't pay taxes. Furthermore it can even result in jail time. Nobody in their right mind would be saying it's ok not to pay taxes...

7 minutes ago, Anas1994 said:

If my husband pay taxes for herself and don’t include us since he lives in USA and I live outside USA with my kids all of us had us passport

Regardless if it's a husband or wife, just ask your spouse to amend taxes. He/ she/them (I'm sorry if I use incorrect pronouns) may get better tax break.

Posted (edited)

My husband says that he add my name on taxes since I’m outside USA now , but I’m asking if he didn’t add it and file taxes just for him will that affect my passport with kids that’s my question . I’m not planing to go back to USA now but in future I’ll need to renew my kids passport . We will be banned to enter USA if he fill by herself still don’t understand . Really I didn’t write question correctly but hope u anderestand exactly from the first question what I need to know exactly . 

Edited by Anas1994

1 hour ago, Anas1994 said:

My husband says that he add my name on taxes since I’m outside USA now , but I’m asking if he didn’t add it and file taxes just for him will that affect my passport with kids that’s my question . I’m not planing to go back to USA now but in future I’ll need to renew my kids passport . We will be banned to enter USA if he fill by herself still don’t understand . Really I didn’t write question correctly but hope u anderestand exactly from the first question what I need to know exactly . 

You got the answer from @Crazy Cat

5 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

The Department of State can, in serious tax delinquency cases, refuse to renew a taxpayer's passport or revoke a passport.

Passports and Unpaid Federal Taxes (state.gov)

"Seriously delinquent tax debt is your unpaid, federal tax debt which includes interest and penalties.

If the Secretary of the Treasury let us know you have seriously delinquent tax debt, we cannot issue a U.S. passport to you. We may also revoke your valid U.S. passport. "

In addition:

"Tax evasion is a felony. Any attempt to “evade or defeat” a tax is punishable by up to $250,000 in fines ($500,000 for corporations), five years in prison or a combination of the two, according to the IRS Tax Crimes Handbook. Plus, you’ll also be responsible for covering the costs of prosecution."

Not working doesn't equal no income. Do you have any income? Are kids of working age? Do they make money? 

How does your spouse file taxes now? Single (incorrect) or Married Filing Separately? If any of these, you're required to file taxes under Married Filed Separately and repory any income of your own over $5

More info: https://www.greenbacktaxservices.com/knowledge-center/us-citizen-abroad-taxes/

Edited by OldUser

My husband lives in USA and I m outside country with my kids their ages are 11 and 9 he has all my documents , when I ask her he says he just say that he add my name on tax when filling as I’m out of state , i can’t ask her more than that question that’s why I ask in this forum , I’m asking if he join me on their taxes will he pay something for This appertain i mean adding me will due to paying some fee ? Kids too or adding me with kids will not add any fee ? I m not responsible to pay taxes since I trust her but I’m asking if he didn’t add me with kids we will be banned to get our passports in future and he will grant his passport ? Thank u I trust ansewer in this forum 

Go here Internal Revenue Service | An official website of the United States government (irs.gov) to do a search of your tax status. If he said he put your name on the taxes he filed jointly and got more money back on his refund. As a US citizen you are responsible for your own taxes. If Husband does not file jointly you have to do it.

Your kids should not have any issues as they are too young to file taxes and fall as dependants.

I asked her he says he add my name on their taxes as I’m living out of state , he used to fill taxes when I was with him and I trust her but if they add some fee when joining me with my kids I’m not sur he will add me that’s why I’m asking , what that mean adding me in their taxes as living out of state ? And filling jointly will charge her money ? 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline
54 minutes ago, Anas1994 said:

What that mean adding me on their taxes as living out of state it means he fill jointly ? Filling jointly Charge her money or he will get money back thank u .

What you need to confirm: 

• Did your husband check the box "Married filing jointly" in his tax returns and include your name (see example below)? 
  • Did your husband include your children in his tax returns (also see example below, Dependents)? 
  • If he included you and/or your children, in the end he would pay less taxes assuming the same total household income (if he got a refund, the refund would be larger), because you pay taxes on income and that % of tax reduces the larger the family size. For example if you make $50K as a single person you will pay more taxes than if your total household is $50K as a family of 4. 
  • If he did not  include you in his taxes, you should file deliquent tax return for every year there isn't a tax return with your name on it (regardless if you have worked or not). Now if you truly have not had any income, then you won't have to pay anything, but filing the taxes is the formal way you are declaring to the IRS that you did not earn income. Even if you did earn income, there is a good chance that Foreign Income Tax Credits or Exclusions would wipe out your "owed" taxes, so you still wouldn't have to pay anything. 

As others have mentioned, evading taxes is a pretty serious deal (and in the extreme cases can result in punishments), but if you haven't been earning income (or very little income) there is a pretty high chance you won't be penalized or owe any taxes. You should now make sure there has been a tax returned filed for you for every year of your adult life, and going forward to include your children on those tax returns (especially if they start earning money). This is the lifelong deal you have as a US citizen (and your children), does not matter where you live you always have to file taxes. 

EDIT: also, just contact an agency/accountant that works with US taxed filed from other countries. Show them what has been filed and what not. Myself being a US citizen living in another country have had very good experience with these agencies, and they should be able to clear up exactly what you need to file or not now. 

image.png.7809ff3948d692bb22af98085c43c807.png

Edited by garebear397

Engaged: 2016-11-07

K-1 Visa Process
I-129F NOA1: 2016-12-05
I-129F NOA2: 2017-05-05
Interview Date: 2017-07-14 (Approved!)  

Married: 2017-08-08

AOS Process

I-485/I-131/I-765 NOA 1 : 2017-08-26

AOS Interview: 2017-12-08 (recommended for approval) 

Received Two Year Green Card: 2017-12-16

Moved back to Chile: 2019-09-01 

Abandoned Green Card: 2020-08-17 

IR-1 Visa Process

I-130 Filed Electronically and NOA1: 2023-06-04 

NOA2: 2024-08-01

NVC DQ: 2024-08-30

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
56 minutes ago, Anas1994 said:

What that mean adding me on their taxes as living out of state it means he fill jointly ? Filling jointly Charge her money or he will get money back thank u .

It sounds like he filed taxes as married (as it would not be correct for him to file as single if he is legally married).  Now he could have chosen to file Married Jointly or Separately, but I assume jointly as that would reduce your overall tax burden.  Assuming you are in a solid marriage and you are only outside the US temporarily, there is no reason why he would have left you off tax filing in my opinion.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.