andrea804

Immunizations Requirements

43 posts in this topic

Hi all! We just got DQ'd but want to make sure we have everything we need to proceed quickly once we get our IL. I have seen conflicting information in other forums regarding the Covid booster. Does my husband need to have a booster before his medical? He has the 2 original Covid vaccines plus 1 booster (from like early 2022). I read some people saying they needed a booster within the last 12 months, and others say it wasn't necessary. 

I just want to know so we can shop around and maybe get it cheaper when we go back to the US next month for a wedding.

Thanks all! :) 

According to Visa Medicals' website in London:

Covid vaccination requirements for US visa applicants from 1st October 2021

All applicants eligible for Covid-19 vaccination under local policy, including K1 visas, Refugees and Non-immigrant visas require proof of 2 doses of a COVID 19 vaccine in order to complete their Visa Medical (With the exception of the Janssen vaccine which is a one dose course).

I read this as being covered with the first two initial doses. Is this booster requirement absolutely true? I had both COVID jabs out of sheer necessity. I absolutely do not want the booster.

Edited by Melancholic Mage

I contacted CDC for the requirements regarding US immigrant visa applicants and this is what they replied regarding COVID vaccine: 

• Applicants must receive one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine if a dose is due at the time of the immigration medical examination.
  • For the purposes of the immigration medical examination only, applicants who have not received a COVID-19 vaccine dose in the 12 months prior to the date of the exam are considered due for a dose.
  • If the applicant has not had a dose of the COVID-19 vaccine in the past 12 months, but a law or regulation in the country where the exam is performed prevents the applicant from receiving a dose at the time of the exam, document the "Not routinely available" blanket waiver.

Update: I got a very generic stock response with CDC links, half of which don't work, including the COVID-19 one. The 'page has been removed'. 

Best I got was this. Which suggests you need another COVID dose if it's been 12 months or longer since your last, if I'm reading this right. But that still doesn't answer my question if it's a usual dose, or the 'booster' which has ruined the health of two or three people I personally know. 

https://www.cdc.gov/immigrant-refugee-health/media/pdfs/Vaccine-Requirements-According-to-Applicant-Age-panel-physicians-p.pdf

Can anyone who attended their medical shed some light on this? 

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
On 7/15/2024 at 9:31 AM, Melancholic Mage said:

Update: I got a very generic stock response with CDC links, half of which don't work, including the COVID-19 one. The 'page has been removed'. 

Best I got was this. Which suggests you need another COVID dose if it's been 12 months or longer since your last, if I'm reading this right. But that still doesn't answer my question if it's a usual dose, or the 'booster' which has ruined the health of two or three people I personally know. 

https://www.cdc.gov/immigrant-refugee-health/media/pdfs/Vaccine-Requirements-According-to-Applicant-Age-panel-physicians-p.pdf

Can anyone who attended their medical shed some light on this? 

On the sheet I got from Visa Medicals it says:

COVID-19 Vaccine Booster/booster dose within the last 12 months

I was applying for a K-1 visa, but I would guess it is the same for all visa types.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you. I had to bite the bullet and get the darn thing but I was thankfully heard by the medical staff who helped explain the vaccines they stocked. The dose I got was confirmed to be just another version of the Pfizer jab which I already had as my second dose, so that made me feel better about it. As much as I can be at least.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2024 at 6:29 AM, SL2024 said:

Sorry I meant to say email booking confirmation. I felt the service from Boots was good and they provided enough supporting evidence for my GP Surgery to update my medical records.

Hi, I am a little way from the medical appointment but will need Covid vaccines for my kids and my husband will need a booster probably early next year. I notice you said Boots were good. Do you mind me asking how you booked it and how much for each person/vaccine. My GP said we had to go privately but didn't mention  Boots at all! They said that unless I was over 75 and in a vulnerable group the Covid vaccine was like hen's teeth! 

Thanks so much 🙏 

8 minutes ago, WoodlandsFamily said:

Hi, I am a little way from the medical appointment but will need Covid vaccines for my kids and my husband will need a booster probably early next year. I notice you said Boots were good. Do you mind me asking how you booked it and how much for each person/vaccine. My GP said we had to go privately but didn't mention  Boots at all! They said that unless I was over 75 and in a vulnerable group the Covid vaccine was like hen's teeth! 

Thanks so much 🙏 

Just had a quick look online at Boots. Saw they do one locally to me and its about £98. But big problem - not under 12s 😱 which I have 2 of. Hoping I can find someone who can do kids under 12 😭

Timeline
55 minutes ago, WoodlandsFamily said:

Thanks so much 🙏 

There should be a list of Covid vaccine providers in the medical appointment confirmation email.

Timeline
45 minutes ago, WoodlandsFamily said:

Just had a quick look online at Boots. Saw they do one locally to me and its about £98. But big problem - not under 12s 😱 which I have 2 of. Hoping I can find someone who can do kids under 12 😭

Yeah £98 is what I paid for mine. Also it might be worth speaking to the nurse when you have your medical as they have all the vaccination requirements, etc. 

When is your medical?

2 hours ago, SL2024 said:

Yeah £98 is what I paid for mine. Also it might be worth speaking to the nurse when you have your medical as they have all the vaccination requirements, etc. 

When is your medical?

Oh sorry to confuse you, no I am not near having the medical yet, I am not out of the i-130 stage yet (hoping by Nov/Dec I will be)..just thinking ahead to how I sort things as I have 6 petitions 😀

i just noticed this thread and happened to ask my pharmacy today about Covid vaccines and they said I wouldn't be able to get one on the NHS and I am not even sure if my kids under 12 can have or even need to have for the US.

Hence I was interested in the Boots appointments which are easily sorted for my older children and husband, but they don't do under 12s 😪.

May have to wait until I get past the NVC stage and see what the clinic says at the medical. 

Thanks 👍 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.