Amandapaddy

Lawyer taking forever to submit to NVC

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Our I-130 was approved April 25th. We are submitting to Dublin Ireland Embassy. 
I’m sorry I just need to vent and maybe some insight on a timeline? Is our lawyer taking an unreasonable amount of time, I’m not trying to sound impatient- I realize immigration law is complex and there are things behind the scenes that I am not aware of.. I just can’t wrap my head around filling out an application with info our lawyer has had for a year just now being filled out and I’m struggling really bad. My husband and I have been long distance for over 2 years now and we are not in a good spot. I think both of us are overwhelmed and over everything, I hate seeing what this process has done to us. I have always held onto hope and faith that this chapter is almost over and everything will be okay when he’s back home. Waiting over a year for I130 to be approved, I thought that was the hardest part over with but now we’re waiting to wait again. I understand the NVC will take time as well and it seems “easier” to wait when it comes to immigration officers because it is what it is we’re all waiting on them. But waiting on my lawyer to fill out these documents to submit to NVC is almost destroying me. Is this a normal time line for submitting documents? She has had all of our info this whole time, and her emails to ask questions etc to fill it out just seems to me that she could have had all this figured out before this.. idk. It doesn’t help she’s tik tok famous, posting all the time, so everytime I see her pop up I get angry all over again like can you maybe go fill out some forms? Ah idk. 

Our I-130 was approved April 25th. We are submitting to Dublin Ireland Embassy. Marriage- I am from US. Living in US while he is stuck in Ireland. 

Was there a reason you went with a lawyer, let alone a TikTok one?  Most of us here have done everything DIY:  you can’t pay someone enough to care about your case as much as you do.

also not sure what you mean by “we are submitting to Dublin Ireland embassy.”   The way that it works is after USCIS approves the petition,  your documentation is submitted to the department of state (NVC), which dispatches it to the consulate when the file is complete.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
Posted (edited)

@SalishSea
We stayed with our lawyer we had who did our i130. She did the i130 and then I thought this was the next thing she does for us.. I didn’t have any reservations having a lawyer fill out official forms when I don’t feel confident doing it myself. Your response at the end pretty much clears up why I stayed with a lawyer instead of doing it diy. I don’t know much about immigration, not trying to sound arrogant but I can fill out documents yes- but was hoping having someone who specializes, who does this all day everyday could do a better job than me that I could easily and most likely do something wrong on the application and potentially getting delayed or even worse, denied or something. I was hoping having our lawyer handle it was the safest option to bring my husband back home to our family. 

Edited by Amandapaddy

If your I-130 was approved in April then you could have your visa by now! I’ve no idea why your lawyer hadn’t completed the NVC side of things already. Why not just do it yourself if she’s holding things up? 

If you’re not sure of the process then it’s all laid out step by step here - https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-1-submit-a-petition/step-2-begin-nvc-processing.html

And it’s really not complex, we had lawyers but did all of the NVC side of things ourselves to save time, and it was dead easy. 

7 minutes ago, Amandapaddy said:

@SalishSea
We stayed with our lawyer we had who did our i130. She did the i130 and then I thought this was the next thing she does for us.. I didn’t have any reservations having a lawyer fill out official forms when I don’t feel confident doing it myself. Your response at the end pretty much clears up why I stayed with a lawyer instead of doing it diy. I don’t know much about immigration, not trying to sound arrogant but I can fill out documents yes- but was hoping having someone who specializes, who does this all day everyday could do a better job than me that I could easily and most likely do something wrong on the application and potentially getting delayed or even worse, denied or something. I was hoping having our lawyer handle it was the safest option to bring my husband back home to our family. 

But see, that’s just it- lawyers often cause delays.   Reading and researching the process is in your best interest, regardless.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The problem with using a lawyer is that other people are using them too. Whatever service you're procuring them for, you're just put in a queue with everyone else they have on their books. 

What's done is done, and I'm sorry that you're experiencing delays, but if you can take time to research and file yourself (plenty of great info on VJ), and your case is straight forward then you will save yourself a lot of time (and money) in the long run.

[I-129F to K1]

I-129F Filed: 2024-04-03

I-129F NOA1: 2024-04-17

I-129F RFE: 2024-06-05

I-129F NOA2: 2024-08-02

Wow, really sorry for this experience, but filling out the forms that need to be uploaded to the NVC will take at best 2 days and that is being very careful and cautious in filling them out.  You are paying for a service, I suggest that you tell your lawyer how you feel and to get the job done for what you are paying her to do.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Amandapaddy said:

Our I-130 was approved April 25th. We are submitting to Dublin Ireland Embassy. 
I’m sorry I just need to vent and maybe some insight on a timeline? Is our lawyer taking an unreasonable amount of time, I’m not trying to sound impatient- I realize immigration law is complex and there are things behind the scenes that I am not aware of.. I just can’t wrap my head around filling out an application with info our lawyer has had for a year just now being filled out and I’m struggling really bad. My husband and I have been long distance for over 2 years now and we are not in a good spot. I think both of us are overwhelmed and over everything, I hate seeing what this process has done to us. I have always held onto hope and faith that this chapter is almost over and everything will be okay when he’s back home. Waiting over a year for I130 to be approved, I thought that was the hardest part over with but now we’re waiting to wait again. I understand the NVC will take time as well and it seems “easier” to wait when it comes to immigration officers because it is what it is we’re all waiting on them. But waiting on my lawyer to fill out these documents to submit to NVC is almost destroying me. Is this a normal time line for submitting documents? She has had all of our info this whole time, and her emails to ask questions etc to fill it out just seems to me that she could have had all this figured out before this.. idk. It doesn’t help she’s tik tok famous, posting all the time, so everytime I see her pop up I get angry all over again like can you maybe go fill out some forms? Ah idk. 

Our I-130 was approved April 25th. We are submitting to Dublin Ireland Embassy. Marriage- I am from US. Living in US while he is stuck in Ireland. 

This is one of the reasons I did not use a lawyer.  Upload the documents yourself and tell your lawyer, thank you for you're time- your done! Waiting almost 3 months for a simple task is ridiculous.

Edited by KMG

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline
23 hours ago, Amandapaddy said:

My husband and I have been long distance for over 2 years now and we are not in a good spot. I think both of us are overwhelmed and over everything, I hate seeing what this process has done to us. I have always held onto hope and faith that this chapter is almost over and everything will be okay when he’s back home.

Go to Ireland and visit him- It will be good for your relationship.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I'd fire the lawyer and finish on my own. Very often lawyers cause delays, not worth the money unless you have a complicated case. This is the DIY site, the majority of us have done everything on our own. I did everything from submitting the petition, up to and including naturalization for my husband. We had several so called "red flags" and we never even had an RFE at any stage in the process. As long as you read the forms thoroughly and pay attention to detail, you can absolutely do it on your own. If you have question just come here and ask away, there are many, many people in this forum that I would trust far more than any immigration attorney. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline
40 minutes ago, Cathi said:

If you have question just come here and ask away, there are many, many people in this forum that I would trust far more than any immigration attorney. 

HEAR HEAR.

You should not for one moment be convinced that immigration attorneys can do this better than you.  Trust the people who have been through this process before and are also personally invested in it.

You can do this.  For every visa there are checklist/flowcharts, not to mention people who have years of tracking your visa journey AND those who have up to date information based on their own experiences.

Ditch the lawyer.  We can help you.

Our K-1 Journey

7 Aug 2023: I-129F petition mailed.

9 Aug 2023: NOA1, arrives approx. a week after mailing with this issuance date.

1 Mar 2024: NOA2 (v 1.0) issued.  Time between NOAs, 205 days (6 months 23 days).  NOA2 exp date 30 Jun 2024.

8 Mar 2024: NVC received case.

1 Apr 2024: after one inquiry, NVC provided case #.

8 May 2024: NOA2 (v 2.0) issued.  Same USCIS #, same case #, new exp date of 7 Sep 2024.

May-June 2024: many inquiries sent to NVC as well as the embassy, as we see other K1s with later NOA2s are sent to Johannesburg before us.  Involved senators to investigate, refused to assist without expedite request.  Emailed the White House, end of June 2024.

2 Jul 2024: case leaves the NVC for Johannesburg.  Total wait time at NVC, 123 days (4 months 1 day).

5 Jul 2024: consulate in Johannesburg receives case.

8 Jul 2024: Packets 3 & 4 received, medical and visa appointments scheduled.

23 Jul 2024: medical appointment with Dr. Brauer (Cape Town).

8 Aug 2024: visa interview with CO in Johannesburg, 16 days after medical.  Visa not issued because medical packet wasn't filed yet.  Passport and birth certificate kept by CO.  Total time from NOA1 to interview/approval, 365 days (exactly 1 year).

13 Aug 2024: email to consulate due to CEAC still displaying "Application Received" status, instead of the predicted "Refused" or "Administrative Processing".

14 Aug 2024: consulate reply, they are currently processing visa.  CEAC status changes to "Approved" (no refused or AP statuses prior).

15 Aug 2024: CEAC case status changed to "Issued"

20 Aug 2024: K1 visa in hand!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.