DyslexicDancer

CR1 Visa expedited questions

20 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hello all,

I was hoping to get help with a few questions.

My fiancé and I are currently living in the Philippines and we are getting married next week.

We have been together for over a year, but I have to travel back to the USA shortly after we get married. I am a 100% P&T disabled Veteran and have to be in the USA for medical reasons, being apart from my spouse will be a major hardship on me because she does a lot to take care of me.

I have already started filling out our paperwork for the CR1 via and had a question on how we can request our paperwork be expedited. I did not see any way to request a hardship expedited process online

Also does anyone know if we can use the Consular office in Cebu City for the Visa application? it would be easier for her than traveling to teh embassy in Manila

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by DyslexicDancer

1 minute ago, D-R-J said:

When you say living in the Philippines, do you have a residence permit and how long have you been there?

Did you submit the I-130 online?

I've been living here since August 2023, and yes, I have a Special Resident Retiree’s Visa (SRRV) that was granted in September 2023, so I have been considered a resident here in the Philippines since September 2023.

I have not submitted my I-130 online yet, but was looking at the info that is required and how I could ask for the process to be expedited. I was planning to file online after we get married next week.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, DyslexicDancer said:

I've been living here since August 2023, and yes, I have a Special Resident Retiree’s Visa (SRRV) that was granted in September 2023, so I have been considered a resident here in the Philippines since September 2023.

I have not submitted my I-130 online yet, but was looking at the info that is required and how I could ask for the process to be expedited. I was planning to file online after we get married next week.

You should look into direct consular filing (DCF). It will be just about the fastest process. The question will be if they will accept your medical issues as an exceptional circumstance. You will need to contact the embassy to see if they will accept your I-130 petition. Do not submit your I-130 online as it will bar you from DCF.

3 minutes ago, D-R-J said:

One of the examples of exceptional circumstances is medical emergencies.

• Medical emergencies – A petitioner or beneficiary is facing an urgent medical emergency that requires immediate travel.

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-6-part-b-chapter-3

Any idea why they would consider a medical emergency?

I 100% have to travel back to the states for medical reasons, but it's not like I have terminal cancer. I can also say that it will 100% be a hardship if I have to travel alone.

Just wondering what they would consider an urgent medical emergency.

I'll call the embassy on Monday, but any guidance on what they are looking for would be much appreciated 

Timeline

All that you can do is tell them the truth and hope it qualifies.

The circumstance that we see regularly used is a job offer with a short notice for starting.

I’d definitely make sure that it is clear you are a disabled veteran.

The embassy has some discretion on what cases they take, so present your case as favorably as possible and hope you have a sympathetic CO review it.

1 minute ago, D-R-J said:

All that you can do is tell them the truth and hope it qualifies.

The circumstance that we see regularly used is a job offer with a short notice for starting.

I’d definitely make sure that it is clear you are a disabled veteran.

The embassy has some discretion on what cases they take, so present your case as favorably as possible and hope you have a sympathetic CO review it.

Thanks, I'll call them on Monday and see what they say.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Trying the DCF route is certainly worth making an inquiry.  Knowing what they are looking for will not change your truth.  Go with the truth, always.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

A preference for US health care appropriate to a person of retirement age would not qualify as a “medical emergency.”

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
5 hours ago, SalishSea said:

A preference for US health care appropriate to a person of retirement age would not qualify as a “medical emergency.”

Correct.  Without more information, it doesn't look like any special circumstance.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

6 hours ago, SalishSea said:

It's not so much of a preference for US health care, it's that I need to go back to the states for medical care, I use the VA for my medical care and and the care I need is unavailable here, so travel back to the states is mandatory for me.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.