Meredith48

The company i work for is clossing, what are miy rights?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi, after 7 years (my first job since i entered to United States) is going to close, what are my rights?

I found something weird in all this, since they only advice two weeks before, they advised me yesterday that the company is closing July 17.

What is next?

beside looking for another job of course lol

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Sorry to hear this.

Sometimes, companies close with no notice at all.

You're entitled to full pay for all hours that you work.

Sometimes, larger companies will extend the opportunity to keep your health insurance (COBRA).

You can ask your managers for their contact information to serve as references when you job-hunt.

If you haven't found a new job by the time the company closes, file for Unemployment.

This should give you a little income if you have trouble finding a new job.

Others here will have additional advice for you.  Good luck!

*** Thread is moved from Off Topic to the "Working & Traveling" forum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

As a general comment it always seems easier to find a job when you have a job.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

10 hours ago, Boiler said:

I have also found this to be true.

16 hours ago, Meredith48 said:

what are my rights?

Depends on your state but what are you looking for? 2 weeks notice is the standard for most of the US and companies, being for firing someone or layoff. Look for your state labor rights for more details on unemployment etc. Labor rights are not strong in most places, specially if you compare it to your home country. There's no payout at the end of employment, vacation pay, protections etc. in most cases.

Do you have an immigration related question about this? Is your visa tied to employment?

event.png

N-400 3 year marriage based (IOE)

Jan 22, 2024 - Submitted online 

Jan 22, 2024 - Biometrics waived

Mar 6, 2024 - Interview scheduled for Apr 11 COMBO I-751/N-400

Apr 11, 2024 - Combo interview - approved N-400

May 1, 2024 - Approved ROC, received 10 GC on May 20.

May 7, 2024 - Oath scheduled for June 14 (requested later ceremony at interview)

June 14, 2024 - Special Flag Day Oath ceremony - I'm a citizen!!!

Timeline
Posted (edited)

Thank you guys for the response, give me so light and feel i am not alone in this.

On 7/4/2024 at 11:37 PM, TBoneTX said:

Sorry to hear this.

Sometimes, companies close with no notice at all.

You're entitled to full pay for all hours that you work.

Sometimes, larger companies will extend the opportunity to keep your health insurance (COBRA).

You can ask your managers for their contact information to serve as references when you job-hunt.

If you haven't found a new job by the time the company closes, file for Unemployment.

This should give you a little income if you have trouble finding a new job.

Others here will have additional advice for you.  Good luck!

*** Thread is moved from Off Topic to the "Working & Traveling" forum. ***

Thank you for the wishes.

Yes i have good relation with the managers, they already are in my references.

On 7/5/2024 at 1:32 AM, Boiler said:

That is true, I am already looking for jobs.

On 7/5/2024 at 3:37 PM, OldUser said:

What is your immigration status?

I am LPR

22 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

from OP post July 2023 she and son were still in Brazil

so, we have no idea how long she has worked for this company and if she is entitled to unemployment benefits 

I am in US, my son is in Brz.

i have been working for the company for 7 years.

I have an update.

I received an agreement (SEPARATION AGREEMENT AND GENERAL RELEASE), where if I sign it, the company will "compensate me"  with the equivalent of 6 weeks salary, with the condition that I wont be able to claim or initiate any legal action agaist the company AND I can not work again with the company within one year in case i want to move or to work in another store of the same brand.

Edited by Meredith48

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
36 minutes ago, Meredith48 said:

Thank you guys for the response, give me so light and feel i am not alone in this.

Thank you for the wishes.

Yes i have good relation with the managers, they already are in my references.

That is true, I am already looking for jobs.

I am LPR

I am in US, my son is in Brz.

i have been working for the company for 7 years.

🥲 He is Dominican but living here in BRazil with me

I have an update.

I received an agreement (SEPARATION AGREEMENT AND GENERAL RELEASE), where if I sign it, the company will "compensate me"  with the equivalent of 6 weeks salary, with the condition that I wont be able to claim or initiate any legal action agaist the company AND I can not work again with the company within one year in case i want to move or to work in another store of the same brand.

other post says you told CBP  when you visited in 2023 and before that u worked on computer and owned your own business

Timeline
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

other post says you told CBP  when you visited in 2023 and before that u worked on computer and owned your own business

Other case, probably my son wrote it, since he helped me to create this user, i am not too handy with this. 😅

Edited by Meredith48

On 7/7/2024 at 12:59 AM, Meredith48 said:

I was reading the whole document and i was unable to find where it says that i can not work in the same company for one year, the info was only given from the personal who gave us the letter.

Why do you want to work for a company that laid you off?

Timeline
7 hours ago, OldUser said:

Why do you want to work for a company that laid you off?

Our store is closing, but there is a certain possibility of me moving to another city where they have more stores, therefore I dont want to miss the opportunity to apply to one of those.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.