Elllena

N-400 July 2024 Filers

178 posts in this topic

I have a concern. I’d like some insights from the experts here.

I submitted my N400 around the end of July, unfortunately I got furloughed from my job around mid July. I started collecting unemployment around mid August. I was speaking with someone today and they told me my n400 interview might not come soon since I put that I was unemployed in my application and that USCIS thinks that by making me a U.S. citizen I could become a public charge. I am Not planning on that I really want to work, I have sent my applications to a significan number of companies but the economy is bad these days. 
what are the chances I won’t get an interview in the normal processing time??

what/how can I update my n400 form once I get a new job? 

thanks 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
17 minutes ago, andrew2005 said:

I submitted my N400 around the end of July, unfortunately I got furloughed from my job around mid July. I started collecting unemployment around mid August. I was speaking with someone today and they told me my n400 interview might not come soon since I put that I was unemployed in my application and that USCIS thinks that by making me a U.S. citizen I could become a public charge. I am Not planning on that I really want to work, I have sent my applications to a significan number of companies but the economy is bad these days. 

thanks 

Well, my wife isn't working now but she got interview notice within 5 days of us applying while I am still waiting. She is not collecting unemployment though.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Greece
Timeline
43 minutes ago, andrew2005 said:

I started collecting unemployment around mid August. I was speaking with someone today and they told me my n400 interview might not come soon since

My impression is that unemployment is an earned benefit (ie a kind of insurance) and hence not considered a public charge.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Greece
Timeline
8 hours ago, andrew2005 said:

You can get interviewed before the 5 year anniversary and then your oath will be scheduled after the anniversary. Don’t sweat it, USCIS knows what they are doing 

People in the know, like your confidence...

Edited by harry.st

1 hour ago, harry.st said:

Oath is taken voluntarily. You're not forced to take oath. You can always politely decline IO's offer to do same day oath saying: "I'm not yet eligible. Is it possible to schedule after mm/dd/yyyy"? Even if you forget about it at the interview, you probably have a chance to tell about it before ceremony begins... The OP in quoted thread wasn't sure, but others reading this thread must already know it when they're eligible.

Edited by OldUser

6 hours ago, harry.st said:

USCIs can natiralize you even before your 3 or 5 yrs dates actually comoleted its been happening quote often recently

Legally u need to have 3 or 5 yrs continious residence to naturalize . But once u are given naturalization . It cant be revoked unless that naturalization was obtqined by fraud or u did not qualify for that. 

In this case igs uscis error . Lets say few yrs down thw road uscis under new govt desides it erred so want to revoke . Under what basis ? That person did not have 3 yr or 5 yr continious residence ? Bit by then they will have more than that . 

Judges would not pernit uscis to punish people for its error most it can do is requalify them which they are by then anyway .. so that case will dead before ig started 

You have been citizen few more days than u should be but one cant go back in time and take it away unless threre is time machine.

I assume it perfectly safe nothing to worry or request uneesasarg new oth dates 

5 hours ago, Mail2n said:

Legally u need to have 3 or 5 yrs continious residence to naturalize . But once u are given naturalization . It cant be revoked unless that naturalization was obtqined by fraud or u did not qualify for that. 

You said it yourself. You did not qualify for citizenship if you naturalized earlier than 3 / 5 years anniversary of being LPR.

Bit by then they will have more than that . 

It's all about how many days you had at the time of oath, not after.

Judges would not pernit uscis to punish people for its error most it can do is requalify them which they are by then anyway .. so that case will dead before ig started 

One would hope so. But it depends on the judges. If they interpret law strictly, it can be taken away. As an example, during pandemic, some people received stimulus check by mistake. It was a government's fault. But yet IRS chased people to return the money. Same here. Benefit was given in error. It can be taken away.

You have been citizen few more days than u should be but one cant go back in time and take it away unless threre is time machine.

Theoretically it can be taken away. Naturalization occured before one was eligible. This is how the law works. It looks at the facts as of the day of naturalization.

There were cases of people getting US passports in error and then, denied passport renewal decades later.

There also may be other downsides. If this person tries to sponsor somebody, USCIS may claim they're not eligible to sponsor somebody.

13 hours ago, andrew2005 said:

thanks 

Replied here:

I just got the notification that my interview was scheduled!!!! The email came in just a couple of minutes ago, and the exact letter with the date has not yet been uploaded to my USCIS account, but I will update everyone once I find out when my interview will be. 

41 minutes ago, Elllena said:

I just got the notification that my interview was scheduled!!!! The email came in just a couple of minutes ago, and the exact letter with the date has not yet been uploaded to my USCIS account, but I will update everyone once I find out when my interview will be. 

Congratulations! Keep us posted and best of luck! 

2 hours ago, Elllena said:

I just got the letter uploaded to my account. The interview is scheduled for Thursday, Oct 24, at 8:15 AM. I wonder if it will be one of the first interviews of the day—time to start studying the 100 questions. How early should I arrive? Is 30 minutes early appropriate?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.