warura

Help on some questions on N600 form.

6 posts in this topic

Hello, and good day. I am confused about how to answer some questions on the N600. Hopefully someone can help me out.

First, If I get a US passport before the Citizenship Certificate via N600, the Green Card would be collected when issuing the US passport. I assume I still fill in the info on the GC on the N600 or leave them blank?

On question 14a, Do I input the info when I recently last entered the US or when I entered the US and started my adjustment of status to LPR? This confusion arises from question 14b asking which document I last used to enter, passport or travel document, which if worded like this could be anything from a US passport / US passport card or is referring to the documents used when I crossed to the US to my adjustment of status (passport/VISA).

On question 14c, If I already have a US passport, do I select other and write US Citizen via INA 320, or select LPR (my last status before applying for my US passport)?

On question 16, have you ever abandoned or lost your LRP Status? If I have a US Passport already, that qualifies as losing LPR or not? if so, do I explain that I applied for a US passport and was approved via INA 320?

Questions 19 and 20. These seem like the same question only in reverse. 19 - Were your parents married before you were born? 20- Did your parents marry after you were born?  What's the difference between these? My parents were married when I was born, and still are till this day. So I would answer these 19-YES and 20-NO?

Question 22. Have you been absent from the US since you first arrived? what is considered absent? I have crossed the border several times, mostly a few hours each time. I live in a border village in the US that is very small and I need to cross to get even basic items. 

Finally, can a parent be the Interpreter or must the interpreter have some certification?

20 minutes ago, warura said:

Questions 19 and 20. These seem like the same question only in reverse. 19 - Were your parents married before you were born? 20- Did your parents marry after you were born?  What's the difference between these? My parents were married when I was born, and still are till this day. So I would answer these 19-YES and 20-NO?

Sounds correct to me

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, warura said:

Question 22. Have you been absent from the US since you first arrived? what is considered absent? I have crossed the border several times, mostly a few hours each time. I live in a border village in the US that is very small and I need to cross to get even basic items. 

Any trip outside the US, but only if born before certain date.

See explanation from N-600 instructions :

Item Number 22.  Absences from the United States.  Provide the requested information for every trip abroad that you have taken since you first arrived in the United States.  Begin with the most recent trip.  This information is needed only for persons born before October 10, 1952, who are claiming U.S. citizenship at the time of birth.

Edited by OldUser

In general, you have only one shot to get N-600 approved. You cannot refile it if it gets denied. I highly recommend seeing the instructions. If you still have doubts, I'd hire a lawyer for this. This is too important to do DIY if you're not confident you get it right.

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, OldUser said:

If you're filing N-600 now, you should answer questions as of today, not future. Right now you have GC, right now you don't have US passport. So answer the questions accordingly.

I will probably get the Passport first since the N600 fee is too much for me currently. I would eventually hire a lawyer or preparer for this matter, but also want to educate myself as much as possible after I went through a hard time and an unnecessary burden getting the I-485 approved. After all, the lawyer I hired made some mistakes that cost me 2 RFE that later I learned could have been avoided and my process would have finished earlier, per USCIS agent's comments. There is less information on N600 filing on the web, and since I live in a small border village in the US, I have to cross to Mexico daily to get basic items, that alone adds confusion on how to fill this kind of form. We don't even have USPS home delivery, so we rely on PO Boxes in a single postal office. Getting proof of address is an ordeal here.

I'm aware that each case is different, but I do believe my case is uncommon because of my residency. I have had uncommon procedures almost all the way.  For starters, got the I-485 approved when I was still abroad on Advanced Parol, and there was no clear information on how I had to re enter the US, because would derive citizenship automatically for complying INA 320, but since I was not physically present in the US at that moment, technically I would not comply until I enter the US, but do I enter with the AP, as a LPR or declare I am a US citizen by INA 320? My fear on this matter is the CBP registering my entrance in a category that would hinder my derivative citizenship passport or N600 applications. Eventually, I entered with my Green Card, which seemed the most logical option.

Really appreciate the help and info you are giving me.

Edited by warura

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.