SL2024

K1 Covid Booster Vaccine Query

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi all, 

I have a Covid vaccine booster booked next week (I had my medical last week) but I was just wondering that if I get this Covid booster whether I would then need to get another dose after entering the USA if approved and filing for the AoS? Like would the Civil Surgeon say for example it has been more than 6 months since you had a dose then I would be required to get a dose? Or is it just one dose that needs to be completed either before entering the USA or before the AoS?

I have had 3 doses of the vaccine already but this was in 2021-2022.

As I have seen that some people on here have got their Covid booster before travelling to the USA and some that have got it after travelling to the USA for the AoS.

Hope you can help!

If you had your medical last week, was all the vaccines marked as complete? If you have received everything required, and it is marked as complete, then there is no need to receive anything more for AOS purposes and no further civil surgeon is required. If you wish to receive more vaccines for your own personal health benefit, that's fine.

The best way is always to ensure you have all vaccines required either before your UK civil surgeon visit, or during that visit.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline
48 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

If you had your medical last week, was all the vaccines marked as complete? If you have received everything required, and it is marked as complete, then there is no need to receive anything more for AOS purposes and no further civil surgeon is required. If you wish to receive more vaccines for your own personal health benefit, that's fine.

The best way is always to ensure you have all vaccines required either before your UK civil surgeon visit, or during that visit.

Hi,

I had my 10 year Tetanus booster and first Hepatitis B dose. Then they said about getting a Covid booster as a requirement. So that’s why I’m asking. They don’t do it at the medical place. I have to go to a private provider to get it done. Need to know whether to get it in the UK or in the USA before the AoS.

They didn’t do the Flu vaccine as it’s not Flu season.

1 hour ago, SL2024 said:

Hi,

I had my 10 year Tetanus booster and first Hepatitis B dose. Then they said about getting a Covid booster as a requirement. So that’s why I’m asking. They don’t do it at the medical place. I have to go to a private provider to get it done. Need to know whether to get it in the UK or in the USA before the AoS.

They didn’t do the Flu vaccine as it’s not Flu season.

If you previously had a 1 or 2 dose series of a vaccine, you are covered. A booster is a seasonal vaccine for your own health. USCIS covers this answer as follows:

https://www.uscis.gov/tools/designated-civil-surgeons/vaccination-requirements

Q. Certain vaccine series can only be completed with multiple visits to the civil surgeon. Am I required to complete the entire series before the civil surgeon can sign the Form I-693?
A. You are only required to receive a single dose of each vaccine when you visit the civil surgeon. You are encouraged to follow up with your private health care provider to complete the series. Once you have received the single dose appropriate at the time, the civil surgeon can sign and certify the Form I-693. The COVID-19 vaccine is the exception to this requirement. You must complete the COVID-19 vaccine primary series (for example, 1 or 2 doses, depending on which vaccine, in adults; 2 or 3 doses, depending on age and which vaccine, in children) and provide documentation of vaccination to the civil surgeon in person before completion of the medical examination. For more information about the COVID-19 vaccination requirement see the CDC Technical Instructions.

What I'm saying is if you already had two doses previously, then your vaccination sheet DS3025 should be marked as complete. An additional dose is not necessary for immigration purposes. You'll see above that the USCIS mentions I-693 which is not needed for adjusting K1s that have had their exam abroad that is complete. You will photocopy the DS3025 you received from Knightsbridge and add it to your AOS packet in an effort to show your compliance with the rules. If you were not marked complete, or were missing vaccines, then you would need to go to complete them, see a US civil surgeon, and complete the I-693. Sometimes the USCIS will mess up and require a K1 adjusting applicant to go anyway. You said you received two COVID vaccines previously, so the Knightsbridge doctor should have marked that on the DS3025.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline
8 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

If you previously had a 1 or 2 dose series of a vaccine, you are covered. A booster is a seasonal vaccine for your own health. USCIS covers this answer as follows:

What I'm saying is if you already had two doses previously, then your vaccination sheet DS3025 should be marked as complete. An additional dose is not necessary for immigration purposes. You'll see above that the USCIS mentions I-693 which is not needed for adjusting K1s that have had their exam abroad that is complete. You will photocopy the DS3025 you received from Knightsbridge and add it to your AOS packet in an effort to show your compliance with the rules. If you were not marked complete, or were missing vaccines, then you would need to go to complete them, see a US civil surgeon, and complete the I-693. Sometimes the USCIS will mess up and require a K1 adjusting applicant to go anyway. You said you received two COVID vaccines previously, so the Knightsbridge doctor should have marked that on the DS3025.

I have had 3 covid doses already. The nurse at the approved medical provider Visa Medicals has said to me that you need proof of previous doses of a course/booster (so the first 2 doses and a booster which is the previous course I had in 2021-2022) and/or a booster dose within the last 12 months. It is the booster within the last 12 months that I haven’t had yet. This is on their vaccination checklist - I only know this from seeing someone on the forum post a pic of it but also when I had my medical.

I’ve got an appointment booked next week for it anyway now. Then I just need to let my GP surgery to update my medical records and then I can let Visa Medicals know and they can then send my medical file to the embassy. 

1 hour ago, yuna628 said:
3 hours ago, SL2024 said:

It is actually required by the UK embassy to get a dose within the last 12 months. My husband had to get it even though he already had 2 doses in 2022.

1 hour ago, SL2024 said:
1 hour ago, SL2024 said:

I’ve got an appointment booked next week for it anyway now. Then I just need to let my GP surgery to update my medical records and then I can let Visa Medicals know and they can then send my medical file to the embassy. 

You do need the booster if it’s been more than 12 months since you had the vaccine. If the medical officer said you needed it, then go ahead and get it. My husband had to do same in May before his medical exam was complete. He had to pay £100 to get it at a private facility.

Timeline
15 hours ago, SL2024 said:

Hi all, 

I have a Covid vaccine booster booked next week (I had my medical last week) but I was just wondering that if I get this Covid booster whether I would then need to get another dose after entering the USA if approved and filing for the AoS? Like would the Civil Surgeon say for example it has been more than 6 months since you had a dose then I would be required to get a dose? Or is it just one dose that needs to be completed either before entering the USA or before the AoS?

I have had 3 doses of the vaccine already but this was in 2021-2022.

As I have seen that some people on here have got their Covid booster before travelling to the USA and some that have got it after travelling to the USA for the AoS.

Hope you can help!

Even if you end up needing a COVID jab in the US they are free here and super easy to get :) 

I believe once you get your booster next week you will be set, though! That's how my fiance and I interpreted it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.