hplusj

SABC TV license cancellation

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

So my fiance is preparing to sell his goods and pack up the essentials to move to the US, and the one string creating any amount of concern is the SABC tv license.   

In South Africa, any resident in possession of a television has to pay the government a little over 200 ZAR a year for the privilege.  Although a pittance, if left unchecked there are horror stories of nonpayment schedules affecting credit and adding you to a blacklist.  The SABC attests that it is very easy to cancel the license and one needs only to submit an affidavit attesting to you no longer owning a TV, or that you've immigrated to another country.  However, depending on the conditions that make you exempt, the varied means of documenting that the license doesn't apply to you is ridiculously complex, and seems to be ignored--unsurprisingly.

So, I'd love to hear from Saffers who have immigrated to the US.  Did you successfully cancel your license?  Have you heard the nightmare scenarios, and just continue to pay the ZA government from abroad just to avoid the headache?  Would love to hear what everyone else has done, to mitigate this red-tape nonsense.

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/broadcasting/542491-how-to-cancel-your-tv-licence-4.html

JHVISAJOURNEY (1).png

Posted (edited)

I wouldn't think a TV company ban is major loss, at least for me.

$10 a year doesn't seem like an amount that would cause a company to spend money and time to fight for...

I'm curious to know what Saffers would say, but I'm 99% sure cancelling or maintaining TV license was not on their mind when moving to the US 🙂

After all, I'd think she'll be able to challenge any issue in the future showing stamps in passport and other proof she no longer resided in South Africa.

Edited by OldUser

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline
44 minutes ago, OldUser said:

I wouldn't think a TV company ban is major loss, at least for me.

$10 a year doesn't seem like an amount that would cause a company to spend money and time to fight for...

I'm curious to know what Saffers would say, but I'm 99% sure cancelling or maintaining TV license was not on their mind when moving to the US 🙂

After all, I'd think she'll be able to challenge any issue in the future showing stamps in passport and other proof she no longer resided in South Africa.

It's probably best to avoid legal trouble and credit score damage, if possible.  I'm curious to see what others have done.

My fiance is also male, just FYI lol

JHVISAJOURNEY (1).png

10 minutes ago, hplusj said:

My fiance is also male, just FYI lol

Sorry about that, I must have misread your post.

11 minutes ago, hplusj said:

It's probably best to avoid legal trouble and credit score damage, if possible.  I'm curious to see what others have done.

I'm all for adhering to the laws. All the best!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.