205 posts in this topic

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
If you do not know the answer, it's fairly simple to post "I am not sure, but I think. . . " or "In my opinion".

I'd rather they didn't post if they dont know! :yes:

Well you know I agree with that D, but there are way too many people here who think they know everything and they just can't seem to help themselves from posting their incorrect information. . .

Agree with both of you - RJ's 'Read More/Post Less/Return To Your Threads' mantra, and Julezabelle's point that being gentle is good. Most people would feel a bit embarrassed/silly to realise they've given totally wrong advice (I know I do...) and would surely be happy to learn where they're going wrong. Which is where 'returning to your threads' comes in handy... :yes:

This is huge - cannot emphasize that enough. I STILL make an effort to follow up and read a thread after I've posted in it. Oftentimes when I do, I learn that I may have been right, but there may be another subtlety to the situation that I was unaware of. And that will help me advise someone else in the future.

Edited by TracyTN
SA4userbar.jpg

AMEN Tracy!

This is MAJOR issue to me. It is NOT ok for people post responses as if they know they are 100% sure about it when they clearly have NO idea what they are talking about. Yes, it's up to each and every person here to be responsible for their own cases. But many many people are here because they cannot afford to run things past an attorney, even in serious situations. So when someone provides wholly incorrect information as if it were definitely correct, they are completely misleading the OP - often with very serious, disasterous consequences.

If you do not know the answer, it's fairly simple to post "I am not sure, but I think. . . " or "In my opinion".

Exactly!! Nobody should feel 'scared' to post because they're not an immigration lawyer and might not be able to give a 100% perfect answer - they might well have some very good advice, suggestions, or ideas that could be really helpful to the poster - just don't post a reply as if it's the last word on the matter if you really have no idea. A bit of 'I'm not 100% certain about this, but I think I remember reading...' or 'this happened to someone else recently, and I think *this* is how they dealt with it... I wonder if anyone else can remember...' can go a long way if you really want to help but aren't sure. :blush:

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

Timeline
I really like when someone quotes the laws, it is very clear then. Even the experienced people here have posted incorrect information.

Of course people make mistakes. But that's not the point of the thread. It's when people post "Sure you can adjust your status even though you didn't marry the original K1 petitioner" as if it's fact. Imagine the scenario - the OP (who by his own fault doesn't consult an attorney) goes to an AOS interview thinking that it's perfectly fine for his wife to AOS in the US even though she came on a K1 and did NOT marry the original petitioner. Guess what happens? She's deported on the spot. . . All the poster had to do was write "I think perhaps she can AOS" blah blah blah

And of course quoting sources is key.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I'd rather they didn't post if they dont know! :yes:

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Read More...Post Less....Return To Your Thread....Know Your Consulate.

ie - What works easily in London might not work in Manila. What you have to do for Ho Chi Mihn City you might not need to do for Canada.

Soooooooooooooo.......it's not always ok to say 'you'll be fine'.

"Know Your Consulate"... that too. One of the first (no doubt silly) questions I asked when I joined VJ was a London-specific one, in which I asked for answers from people who'd been through London in the not-too-distant past. Being a newbie and all, I felt rather awkward and like I was bothering people by coming back and saying 'thanks for the quick answer, but can anyone who's had a K-1 interview in London tell me about their experience?'... only to get another answer about, I dunno, Guangzhou or somewhere. Luckily I got my London-specific answer in the end (thanks, Devilette!), and it was an entirely different one to those about other consulates. :blush:

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

If i dont have the answer to a question i wont guess the answer!....

Although i will admit, i thought i knew what the OP was asking, AOS related....i answered her question regarding filling her forms in .....realised my mistake but could not edit.....came back and corrected myself, also noticed a few other posts had been made since mine.....apologised for my error.......Tracy also noticed my mistake too :blush: thanks for being gentle :D

Maria

Separated!!

If i dont have the answer to a question i wont guess the answer!....

Although i will admit, i thought i knew what the OP was asking, AOS related....i answered her question regarding filling her forms in .....realised my mistake but could not edit.....came back and corrected myself, also noticed a few other posts had been made since mine.....apologised for my error.......Tracy also noticed my mistake too :blush: thanks for being gentle :D

Maria

Hey, I have had my fair share of corrections, too - will probably have more! - so far be it for me to really have a go at someone about it!

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Yes in one thread about K1 someone finally posted the specific law section it was very clear that a K1 is ONLY eligable to Adjust Status by the original petitioner and does not fall under the catagory of an overstay if the marry a different petitioner and file an I-130 with the I-485.

Timeline
Yes in one thread about K1 someone finally posted the specific law section it was very clear that a K1 is ONLY eligable to Adjust Status by the original petitioner and does not fall under the catagory of an overstay if the marry a different petitioner and file an I-130 with the I-485.

Right - and before that there were many, many responses telling the OP it was perfectly fine to adjust in the US. This was 100% incorrect information. Again, the point here is that people should not be posting answers to questions when they do not know the answer. The least they can do is say "I'm not 100% sure" or "I think I read" as others have said.

Filed: Timeline
Read More...Post Less....Return To Your Thread....Know Your Consulate...The SEARCH button is your friend

LOL....OMG we are gonna be accused of 'too many rules'...

Mebbe we ought to stick to 'Read More Post Less Return To Your Thread'............

I love it when someone who DCFd ( when it was still being done) has something to say about I 130s and they didnt have to wait almost a year to be together with their spouse.