SL2024

Hepatitis B Question

63 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi all,

I had my medical last week and had the first dose of the Hepatitis B vaccine during it. I would be able to get the 2nd dose in the UK but if approved for visa at interview then I would have to get the 3rd dose in the USA as my 2nd dose is due at end of July.

Has anybody had any experience of this at all? Do you need a full course of the vaccine before the AOS? I haven't found a definitive answer yet.

Hope you can help!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline
Posted (edited)

Hi,

I had my first dose on June 7th, the second is planned for July 18th , so i will plan my 3rd somewhere december. 
Given the fact that AoS can take about 1 year or even 2 years in some cases, i wouldnt worry about this too much. You have time plenty :) 

You need to file the AoS within the 90 days as well if i am correct. 🤔 I think you wouldnt be able to get the 3rd shot before you file anyway

Edited by Rosaly

I-129F - 2023, September 28

NOA1 - 2023, October 2

NOA2 - 2024, March 29

NVC Case# - 2024, April 19

Consulate Received - 2024, April 25

DS-160+$$ - 2024, May 14

P3 & P4 received - 2024, May 16

Medical exam - 2024, June 7

Interview - 2024, July 12, APPROVED!

Visa Issued - 2024, July 16

Visa Received - 2024, July 18

US Entry - 2024, August 24

Wedding planned - 2024, Oktober 31

To be continued...

💖

Timeline

Can I ask how you got your Hep B jabs? Did you go to a private GP or some kind of clinic? 

💌I-129F Filed: 2024-04-03 

⚠️NOA1: 2024-04-17

RFE: 2024-06-05

⚠️NOA2: 2024-08-02

📤USCIS to NVC: 2024-08-28

📤NVC to Embassy: 2024-09-24

📥Embassy Received: 2024-09-30

⚕️Medical:

📋K1 Interview:

🪪K1 Visa Received: 

🛬POE:

💒Married:

Timeline

In the Netherlands you can do both (your own gp or a travel clinic). 
You can also get your jabs from the medical examiner that the US embassy sends you to. Though the first two options are (usually) cheaper.

Reading is what? Fun-da-men-tal!

especially during your Visa Journey

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
6 hours ago, SL2024 said:

Hi all,

I had my medical last week and had the first dose of the Hepatitis B vaccine during it. I would be able to get the 2nd dose in the UK but if approved for visa at interview then I would have to get the 3rd dose in the USA as my 2nd dose is due at end of July.

Has anybody had any experience of this at all? Do you need a full course of the vaccine before the AOS ? I haven't found a definitive answer yet.

Hope you can help!

from the USCIS website:

"Q. Certain vaccine series can only be completed with multiple visits to the civil surgeon. Am I required to complete the entire series before the civil surgeon can sign the Form I-693?
A. You are only required to receive a single dose of each vaccine when you visit the civil surgeon. You are encouraged to follow up with your private health care provider to complete the series."

https://www.uscis.gov/tools/designated-civil-surgeons/vaccination-requirements

also from the CDC website:

" Vaccine series have minimum age requirements and typically require months to years to complete. Therefore, it is usually not possible for applicants to receive all vaccinations for the diseases listed above prior to adjustment of status, and they are instead required to receive from the civil surgeon at least one dose of each age-appropriate vaccine listed in Table 1 for which the applicant is not currently up to date. If the applicant is up to date on the required vaccines listed in Table 1, no additional vaccines are required to be given at the time of the medical exam. "

https://www.cdc.gov/immigrant-refugee-health/hcp/civil-surgeons/vaccination.html

So no, you dont have to complete the full series in order to adjust status. you just need proof that you have received at least one dose.

which would be on form DS-3025 that you should have gotten from the doctor at your medical exam.

I-129f Sent:  08-07-2023

I-129f NOA1:  08-15-2023

I-129f NOA2: 03-05-2024

NVC Case # Assigned:  03-25-2024

Consulate Received: 04-11-2024

Packet 3 Received: 04-25-2024

Interview Date: 07-09-2024 APPROVED!

Visa Issued: 07-11-2024

Visa Received: 7-15-2024

Date of Entry: 11-5-2024

Married: 12-18-2024

Timeline
18 hours ago, SL2024 said:

Hi all,

Has anybody had any experience of this at all? Do you need a full course of the vaccine before the AOS? I haven't found a definitive answer yet.

Hope you can help!

I don't have an answer for this but I have a related question. Did they mention how recent the Hep B series needed to be? Just trying to get ahead of the curve for k1 and AOS :) 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, ScarletWitch6x said:

I don't have an answer for this but I have a related question. Did they mention how recent the Hep B series needed to be? Just trying to get ahead of the curve for k1 and AOS :) 

It’s the 3 shot series for lifetime immunity.     In other words, you could have had the series as an infant (in the U.S., babies get the 1st one at birth).

Edited by SalishSea

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi all, 

Apologies for the late response. Just an update on this. I have got my 2nd dose this Saturday on the 27th July.

On 7/2/2024 at 12:03 PM, smilingstone said:

Can I ask how you got your Hep B jabs? Did you go to a private GP or some kind of clinic? 

I am getting the 2nd one at a private clinic

Timeline
On 7/2/2024 at 1:03 PM, smilingstone said:

I did not have enough time to get my shots before my medical.

I got the first at the medical exam, which was expensive!

For the second i went to a travel clinic. I called my doctors office and they directed me there. It was cheaper: about half what i paid at the medical.

The third will be in December, and for that ill make an appointment to go get it. My Fiance is with the US navy so he said we can just go to base and get it done.

So, youll hear from me again in december about this subject 😂

Since you need 3 shots of Hep B, I can recommend anyone to start getting the shots as soon as the petition is filed! from petition to medical exam it took me 9 months, which means i could have anticipated a lot better, saving myself a lot of money and i would not have had to pay it all at once (my medical cost me about 530 euros). 

A friend of mine who just completed the CR1 process started getting her shots as soon as her petition was approved, and at the medical her preparations were much appreciated. also it therefor only cost her about 180 euros at the medical itself, also because a lot of it was covered by her health insurance

NOA1 - 2023, October 2

NOA2 - 2024, March 29

DS-160+$$ - 2024, May 14

To be continued...

💖

Timeline
On 7/3/2024 at 1:43 AM, ScarletWitch6x said:

The doctor at the medical told me that if you ever had the shots, youre fine, though you need to proof you had them.

they were not in the list of vaccines ive had as a child, since they are not a part of the immunization program in the netherlands. so for me it was clear i never had them before.

The Tetanus shot (or DKTP) is the one that needs to be renewed when older than 10 years.

NOA1 - 2023, October 2

NOA2 - 2024, March 29

DS-160+$$ - 2024, May 14

To be continued...

💖

Timeline
3 hours ago, Rosaly said:

The doctor at the medical told me that if you ever had the shots, youre fine, though you need to proof you had them.

they were not in the list of vaccines ive had as a child, since they are not a part of the immunization program in the netherlands. so for me it was clear i never had them before.

The Tetanus shot (or DKTP) is the one that needs to be renewed when older than 10 years.

This was the same for me as well as it wasn’t on my vaccination records 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I will add my two cents.  The K1 visa is a non-immigrant visa.  Immigrant visas are treated differently and more strict.  K1 visa must be vaccinated before AOS.  I have read on this and other forums where the foreign bride waited for several months to get the 3rd and final shot of HEP B.  This was well after the expiration of the 90 marriage requirement.

On another board there was a lady from SE Asia (Thailand I think) that did not have any vaccinations and she was approved for the K1 non immigrant visa.  She got the first jab during her first week here and got the 3rd jab 6 months later.  Then she filed for AOS and there was no problems. As we discussed in another thread, AOS is required 2 years after a K1 marriage so that is a lot of time to get caught up.  https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-8-part-b-chapter-9

This clearly states that immigrants and non immigrants applying for AOS (K1, K3) need to be vaccinated for diseases including Hep B.

Timeline
1 hour ago, thonati said:

I will add my two cents.  The K1 visa is a non-immigrant visa.  Immigrant visas are treated differently and more strict.  K1 visa must be vaccinated before AOS.  I have read on this and other forums where the foreign bride waited for several months to get the 3rd and final shot of HEP B.  This was well after the expiration of the 90 marriage requirement.

On another board there was a lady from SE Asia (Thailand I think) that did not have any vaccinations and she was approved for the K1 non immigrant visa.  She got the first jab during her first week here and got the 3rd jab 6 months later.  Then she filed for AOS and there was no problems. As we discussed in another thread, AOS is required 2 years after a K1 marriage so that is a lot of time to get caught up.  https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-8-part-b-chapter-9

This clearly states that immigrants and non immigrants applying for AOS (K1, K3) need to be vaccinated for diseases including Hep B.

Shouldn't she have filed for AOS within 90 days? The fact she didn't could have certainly caused her problems.

Timeline

The paperwork you are given at the visa medical in London is fairly good. I was asked to sign the following statement. They offered to give all the vaccinations I needed then. I refused as I thought I had given them more than enough money that day. However, I wish I had just done it there and then.

" Although vaccinations are not required for my K visa application, I understand that they will be required when I adjust status to that of legal permanent residency following marriage. I understand that I may, depending on the US state, have to partake in a medical when adjusting if I elect not to be vaccinated at my UK medical appointment."

Timeline
4 hours ago, Lee Thacket said:

The paperwork you are given at the visa medical in London is fairly good. I was asked to sign the following statement. They offered to give all the vaccinations I needed then. I refused as I thought I had given them more than enough money that day. However, I wish I had just done it there and then.

" Although vaccinations are not required for my K visa application, I understand that they will be required when I adjust status to that of legal permanent residency following marriage. I understand that I may, depending on the US state, have to partake in a medical when adjusting if I elect not to be vaccinated at my UK medical appointment."

Which vaccinations did they say you needed to get Lee?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.