MikyMike1983

Naturalization applaying after getting Green Card through a immidiate parent

11 posts in this topic

Greetings All,

I got my Green Card though my parent and im thinking to apply for Naturalization in couple of years. Is it easier to get the US Citizenshipe via immidiate parent versa married of US spouse?  If any can share his experinse if got the US Citizinshipe after getting the green card through his parent. 

Thank you all 

Posted (edited)

1) If your parent naturalized, are you sure you're not a US citizen already?

2) If you're not a US citizen already, you can apply for N-400 after 5 years of holding green card and meeting other requirements. You don't need to involve anybody else (parens, US citizen spouse etc).

When did you get GC?

How old were you when you got GC?

Did you have any trips longer than 6 months since you became a resident?

Edited by OldUser

9 minutes ago, MikyMike1983 said:

Thank you Older USer , may parent is a US Citizen, I got my GR in 2021 and I never travel outside since then. Im over 40. 

You can apply for citizenship in 2026.

Take your Resident Since date on GC.

Add 5 years to it.

Subtract 90 days from it.

This date is the earliest date you can apply for N-400.

All you need is:

- No trips over 6 months

- More than 30 months in the US since you became LPR

- Taxes paid every year

- Good moral character (no convictions / crime since becoming LPR etc)

- Pass English and civics test (you can prepare for it).

Good luck!

1 hour ago, MikyMike1983 said:

Thank you Old SUer, i just take the whole thing as serouis and not sure how hard its and what to do to prepare from now. 

It's doable, many people naturalize each year. 

You can study questions here:

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/questions-and-answers/OoC_100_Questions_2008_Civics_Test_V1.pdf

You can practice answers here:

https://www.uscis.gov/citizenship/civics-practice-test-2008

Thank you Old SUer, I have two questions please

1- I came back to the US with Green Card through my mom but had to file for 601 & 212 waivers for over stay my visa and they approved both of them that why i was able to come back. Will that help me for smoother US citizhipe process?

2-  I have a police clearence certfication from my orginial country and the country i used to live before coming here which is UAE. Also will that will helo me showing good background check?  

As today i never travel outside the US and i pay my yearly taxes. 

Thank you 

8 minutes ago, MikyMike1983 said:

Thank you Old SUer, I have two questions please

1- I came back to the US with Green Card through my mom but had to file for 601 & 212 waivers for over stay my visa and they approved both of them that why i was able to come back. Will that help me for smoother US citizhipe process?

2-  I have a police clearence certfication from my orginial country and the country i used to live before coming here which is UAE. Also will that will helo me showing good background check?  

As today i never travel outside the US and i pay my yearly taxes. 

Thank you 

Neither would be needed or relevant for N-400.

1) You're already an LPR. Waivers were needed to overcome inadmissibility. Once you got LPR status your past inadmissibility is not an issue anymore.

2) Police certificates also were needed for determening admissability. You are good now. Police certificates also expire and the one you got in the past is probably expired now.

Unless you have criminal issues, you should be OK for good moral character.

Thank you Old User, Thanks GOD i have no crime history and when i was applaying for my GC in UAE, i had to submit police certification from my country and UAE and both were clear. So I was asking all of that as i take the naturalization process so serouisly and i know they are doing deep background check, i even was under Administration Process in UAE US Embassy and i passed and they approve my IV. 

Thank you for you support and advice

19 minutes ago, MikyMike1983 said:

Thank you Old User, Thanks GOD i have no crime history and when i was applaying for my GC in UAE, i had to submit police certification from my country and UAE and both were clear. So I was asking all of that as i take the naturalization process so serouisly and i know they are doing deep background check, i even was under Administration Process in UAE US Embassy and i passed and they approve my IV. 

Thank you for you support and advice

No worries, you won't need the police certificate. But nobody can guarantee you won't be stuck for some time due to security checks because of your country of origin. There's definitely bias towards certain applicants. Worst case - you can sue USCIS for decision after interview if no decision is given in 120 days.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.