Jotter

Supporting evidence for I-134 when changing jobs + unemployment benefits

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I spent the first 3 months of this year at my old job, then I was unemployed for about 2 months (and I've had unemployment benefits during this time). Now I've started a new job and the K1 interview is coming up soon.

Besides recent tax return & evidence of my new job, what else will I need? Do I need pay stubs from my old job? If so, is the most recent pay stub enough or will I need all pay stubs from this year? As for unemployment benefits, will I need any proof of that too?

Also, for the annual income, they mean gross income before taxes, right?

Thank you for any help!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

First, yes it's the gross unadjusted (before deductions) amount.

Second, the most important aspect is showing that you are gainfully employed currently. Your latest pay stubs and a letter from your current employer would help as this shows the nature and length of employment (eg: not temporary basis).

You can provide pay stubs from previous employment in addition to evidence explaining why there was a break in employment, but this will not be as important as showing that you currently meet the financial requirements. Still, good to provide whatever you can if it helps paint the full picture and clear up any questions they might have.

If there are any concerns over meeting the threshold, or about whether this will raise questions, joint sponsorship is always an option and would eliminate concerns about this. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
14 hours ago, Peot said:

First, yes it's the gross unadjusted (before deductions) amount.

Second, the most important aspect is showing that you are gainfully employed currently. Your latest pay stubs and a letter from your current employer would help as this shows the nature and length of employment (eg: not temporary basis).

You can provide pay stubs from previous employment in addition to evidence explaining why there was a break in employment, but this will not be as important as showing that you currently meet the financial requirements. Still, good to provide whatever you can if it helps paint the full picture and clear up any questions they might have.

If there are any concerns over meeting the threshold, or about whether this will raise questions, joint sponsorship is always an option and would eliminate concerns about this. 

Thank you for your reply, it's very helpful. The offer letter for my new job says 12+ months (it's technically not a temporary position, but that's how it works at this company). Do you think that will be fine? Or should I just get a joint sponsor?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 7/2/2024 at 8:00 AM, Jotter said:

Thank you for your reply, it's very helpful. The offer letter for my new job says 12+ months (it's technically not a temporary position, but that's how it works at this company). Do you think that will be fine? Or should I just get a joint sponsor?

As long as you can explain that it's not temporary, that should be fine - not just with an offer letter, but with a signed letter from your employer confirming this. If that's the case, you should be fine.

When I went through this process I obtained two joint sponsors (and then let the agent at the consulate decide which one was best), which worked out for me. But, that's not a requirement everyone should follow. The only reason I did it that way is because I, much like you, had some oddities I just didn't want to deal with. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.