Don0

3 yr versus 5 yr rule. Does it matter?

7 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! Will try to make this short. I came to the US Aug 2020. So I'm going on my 4th yr. Last yr, my 751 got approved on October and I didn't apply for a combo since I will be out of the country within this yr (next month, brother's wedding) and I didn't want to miss the interview or whatever appointment they would have set. 

So now, I'm debating if I should apply when I come back on August under the 3 yr rule or wait for May-end next year to apply under the 5 yr rule.

Would it be easier since it won't be based on marriage? Will it be less paperwork (I've read you will basically need your 751 if you do the 3 yr, correct me if this is incorrect)? I am not in a hurry but I also want to get this over with. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Don0 said:

Hi everyone! Will try to make this short. I came to the US Aug 2020. So I'm going on my 4th yr. Last yr, my 751 got approved on October and I didn't apply for a combo since I will be out of the country within this yr (next month, brother's wedding) and I didn't want to miss the interview or whatever appointment they would have set. 

So now, I'm debating if I should apply when I come back on August under the 3 yr rule or wait for May-end next year to apply under the 5 yr rule.

Would it be easier since it won't be based on marriage? Will it be less paperwork (I've read you will basically need your 751 if you do the 3 yr, correct me if this is incorrect)? I am not in a hurry but I also want to get this over with. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

5 yr does not require documentation regarding ongoing marriage so it is a little simpler. You must still meet the Continuous residence, physical presence and state residency requirements 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
1 hour ago, Don0 said:

I am not in a hurry but I also want to get this over with. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

If you are in no rush then definitely go with 5 year; less paper work. Note however, that questions about your marriage can still come up.

I did it after three years. It wasn't too much more paperwork. Major bonus is being done with USCIS forever. 

4/12/13 - sent I-485 package

4/15/13 - USCIS Chicago Lockbox received package

4/22/13 - got email and txt

4/29/13 - received NOA in mail

5/08/13 - received biometrics appointment for 5/22

5/09/13 - successful early walk in at Port Chester, NY office

5/22/13 - I-485 updated to Testing & Interview

6/18/13 - EAD went to production

6/21/13 - Card/Document Production for EAD - second email

6/24/13 - EAD mailed

6/26/13 - EAD arrived

7/18/13 - got email about interview

7/20/13 - got hard copy interview letter

08/23/13 - interview - Approved dancin5hr.gif(card production & decision email)

08/28/13 - card production - second email

08/29/13 - card mailed

09/03/13 - card arrived

*********************************************************************************

05/27/2016 - N-400 mailed

06/02/2016 - NOA date

06/24/2016 - biometrics appointment

11/28/2016 - interview scheduled for January 9th, 2017

01/09/2017 - interview passed

01/20/2017 - Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Right now N400s are being processed lightning fast, especially if you file online and already have an approved I751. By fast I mean 6-8 weeks from submission to oath.

There's no guarantee that'll happen going forward the process could go back to the 1-2 year grind it was a few years back.

So I'd apply now. It's not that much more paperwork.

Thank you for everyone's input! I did see how fast the processing for N400 has been going but with how much paperwork (actual papers) I had to send for the ROC, it scares me a bit. 😆 Will think more about this. Thank you again!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Ontarkie
This post was recognized by Ontarkie!

Peot was awarded the badge 'Helpful Reply' and 3 points.

3 hours ago, Don0 said:

Thank you for everyone's input! I did see how fast the processing for N400 has been going but with how much paperwork (actual papers) I had to send for the ROC, it scares me a bit. 😆 Will think more about this. Thank you again!

A major benefit is that the paperwork for N400 is done online. It even gives you time to save and add to the draft later. Mostly documents include a marriage certificate, passport, tax transcript, and that's really about it unless you have other situational documents to provide (court, military, divorce decrees, child birth certificates, etc).

N400 documentation is the easiest of all the processes - in most cases, even biometrics can be reused from previous - so it's not something that should scare you away from applying. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.